Off for a multi-day walk - any suggestions where?

Mr Happy

LE
Evening all,

I'm planning a 2-3 day 40-80 mile tab next week (last week of October 2020 for anyone that comes to this thread late) with 3-4 overnights. Am looking for suggestions about from/to, ideally based on experience. I had thought of hitting one of the relevant camping/walking forums but, you know, civvies....

I'm in the North and a friend is in London so we're going to meet up somewhere. Here's our thoughts.
  • We're old fat knackers.
  • It would be great to have a circular route so we can use the car again, but a taxi back isn't beyond our means.
  • It would be great if the car wasn't broken into whilst we're away.
  • If we take bergens and free-camp that's ideal but we're not against a hot shower and a wench rubbing our feet each night either (this is probably the biggest decider in the 40 or 80 distance question due to the camping weight). A combo of free-camping and Guest/Hotel would be great.
  • We're not training for anything so have plenty of time to take in the sights, so "pretty" is more important that racing up and down Pen y Fan - hence my thoughts on Cumbria or Wales.
  • Leeds - Liverpool canal is a contender but as far as I can research, few free-camping opportunities and full of civvies on their f***ing bikes.
  • We're OK with inclement weather, it might even be nostalgically fun.
Any other things you want to know.

Anyways, as ever the wise Arrsers - lend me your thoughts.

Best
Gaz

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Evening all,

I'm planning a 2-3 day 40-80 mile tab next week (last week of October 2020 for anyone that comes to this thread late) with 3-4 overnights. Am looking for suggestions about from/to, ideally based on experience. I had thought of hitting one of the relevant camping/walking forums but, you know, civvies....

I'm in the North and a friend is in London so we're going to meet up somewhere. Here's our thoughts.
  • We're old fat knackers.
  • It would be great to have a circular route so we can use the car again, but a taxi back isn't beyond our means.
  • It would be great if the car wasn't broken into whilst we're away.
  • If we take bergens and free-camp that's ideal but we're not against a hot shower and a wench rubbing our feet each night either (this is probably the biggest decider in the 40 or 80 distance question due to the camping weight). A combo of free-camping and Guest/Hotel would be great.
  • We're not training for anything so have plenty of time to take in the sights, so "pretty" is more important that racing up and down Pen y Fan - hence my thoughts on Cumbria or Wales.
  • Leeds - Liverpool canal is a contender but as far as I can research, few free-camping opportunities and full of civvies on their f***ing bikes.
  • We're OK with inclement weather, it might even be nostalgically fun.
Any other things you want to know.

Anyways, as ever the wise Arrsers - lend me your thoughts.

Best
Gaz
Forget Wales.
We are in a complete lockdown as of 6pm Friday.

Central. Plenty of trails. Avoid the dark peak, kinder & go for a base around bakewell. Loads of decent pubs, campsites, bunkhouses b&b's Circular walks easily doable in rolling hills. Think Wales but a civilised populace.

Security wise Bakewell is assured as anywhere to leave your car.

North York Moors and stay in pubs.

Buck Inn at Chop Gate is run by a German and has nice German food and beer.

"Holidays in Wales are not allowed during this firebreak lockdown period." Fair enough boyo

And the Tallivan will relish upholding the law

North York Moors and stay in pubs.

Buck Inn at Chop Gate is run by a German and has nice German food and beer.

Just don't stray off the path at night, especially on a full moon

Chef

LE
Hadrians wall??
I thought that but its too long and a bit far, though doing it in bits did appeal that also feels like cheating..

Nah takes about a minute.

If you go North to South.

My toga and chariot awaits.

ETA Serious head on. Given the current propensity for lock downs to start overnight I'd suggest picking two or three of the suggestions given here. Hedge your bets.

Poppy

LE
Pilgrims Way Canterbury to Winchester? (or is it vice versa......)

the poppy line walk in Norfolk would be appropriate for the time of year

Stay Safe

Low CoVid 19 infection areas

The Thames Path - train to Kemble then a choice of trains at the London end

The Ridgeway

The Wessex Ridgeway

Archie

wheel

LE

Central. Plenty of trails. Avoid the dark peak, kinder & go for a base around bakewell. Loads of decent pubs, campsites, bunkhouses b&b's Circular walks easily doable in rolling hills. Think Wales but a civilised populace.

Security wise Bakewell is assured as anywhere to leave your car.
Seconded. Base yourselves in Bakewell. You can do Monsall Trail Tissington Trail the Five Dales route is also good. Plenty of good pubs en route and pretty good bus services back to Bakewell should you have a few to many.