Off Down the Pub on Saturday Night?

Price up again. Now £3.60 a pint. I don’t blame them, times are tough. And the beer is good.
This is in Hampshire BTW, where ale can be pricy.
Don't go to that London place, the price of a pint will horrify you.

Along with everything else about the place.

I think today/tonight will be full of people going to the pub "just because" - realise how shit it is and scuttle off quickly before the off-licence shuts at 22:00.
I can see why pubs will be eager to open again, even under the difficult circumstances imposed upon them. They will understandably be desperate to try and generate some trade.

But how desperate do punters need to be that they would be prepared to pay good money for an opportunity to jump through all kinds of hoops and to still run the risk of jeopardising their health and wellbeing in the process? It will be far from the relaxed and enjoyable experience that such things are supposed to be.

Even if you're an end-stage alchie, there are better arrangements that can be made.

I can see why pubs will be eager to open again, even under the difficult circumstances imposed upon them. They will understandably be desperate to try and generate some trade.

But how desperate do punters need to be that they would be prepared to pay good money for an opportunity to jump through all kinds of hoops and to still run the risk of jeopardising their health and wellbeing in the process? It will be far from the relaxed and enjoyable experience that such things are supposed to be.

Even if you're an end-stage alchie, there are better arrangements that can be made.
'cos it's their right to do so: FACT!

:rolleyes:

'cos it's their right to do so: FACT!

:rolleyes:
Exactly - had Boris imposed a ban on doing 'Heads Shoulders knees and toes' on your doorstep at 19:50 every night, and stated that it would be lifted today - guess what the result would likely be?!

I can imagine the smell of 3 months of beer-soaked unwashed carpets and a bog which hasn't seen bleach for the same time, all behind shut doors and closed windows.

I wonder how The Nutshell in Bury St Edmunds is getting on with social distancing? I used to love that place. My mate had his leaving do in there once. It was mental. I can't see it ever re-opening. Sad.

The Nutshell

Well, that was a mistake.

Invited to pub and the system seems to work well enough. You rock up to the door, get given a bit of paper to put contact details on and are allocated a table. Staff wander around taking orders and delivering drinks which was a bit odd to have waiter service for a few pints.

The issue is that a lot of people interpreted 'pubs are open' as 'you must get shitfaced'. Quite a few groups were absolutely falling down drunk and, as you can't choose your table, we ended up next to an obnoxiously loud group. No aggro but being sat with my back to them made it difficult to relax when I was expecting a load of vomit down my neck any second.

The only upside I can see is that the predicted violence at closing time won't be too much of an issue as by that point most people will be unable to stand unsupported.

Latest Threads