Off Down the Pub on Saturday Night?

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I will personally be scratching at the door of the local Spoons like a wet dog wanting to get in.

Fcuk me. 8O Wee Man's looking fit for guy who has been under lock down for months with no chance of a pint. Hope he's not a punchy drunk when he gets tanked up.

Wee Man.JPG
Drunken Octopus Wants to Fight.jpg

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I will personally be scratching at the door of the local Spoons like a wet dog wanting to get in.
The only time I visit a Spoons is if I'm staying away somewhere that doesn't do breakfast. A good old cheap Spoons brekker is always a pleasant restorative after a heavy night , but the pleasure is somewhat offset by the sight of people drinking pints and chasers at 0930. :puker:

The only time I visit a Spoons is if I'm staying away somewhere that doesn't do breakfast. A good old cheap Spoons brekker is always a pleasant restorative after a heavy night , but the pleasure is somewhat offset by the sight of people drinking pints and chasers at 0930. :puker:
Why do you always sit facing a mirror?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
On the other side of the coin...if you want non smokey air just get off your arse and go outside. Theres plenty outside.
Strange that you should mention that. I used to work for Spoons many moons ago as a Manager. One sunny day, around a couple of days after the smoking ban came in, I popped up to my mate's pub to meet up as we were going on the lash for the day with a few others. Bought my pint, went outside (due to being a smoker), laid my paper out on one of the table and lit up Within minutes, someone else came out and immediately asked me if I minded not smoking. I told the bloke to do one and he had the whole inside of the pub to enjoy his pint. He told me he was going to see the Manager and get him to speak to me. My mate comes outside, says "Hello Joker, be with you in 10 minutes", bloke is looking on aghast especially when my mate states to him "he's right, you do have the whole of the inside, he only has the outside if he wants to smoke, don't like the answer, fuck off somewhere else to drink" Funnily enough, bloke buggers off inside.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
F'kin lightweight, what's wrong with having a pint along with brekkie?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I read on Sky News that Boris has stated that pubs couldn't officially open until 06:00 as someone had mentioned to him that they had a feeling that some would kick the arse out of it by opening at 00:01! there's always some cunt that has to spoil it!

So by how much will a pint go up by, to cover the "emergency". I belive Ulster still blames over pricing on the shipping strike of '68.
CFB
One of my local pubs is linked to a local brewery, although not exclusively so. After the brewery was bought, beer went up earlier this year.
They survived by take away brewery-filled bladders pre-ordered and done at the brewery.
I was passing by, and on spec knocked on the window. Barrels tapped for tomorrow, so got a carry out (which they had always done).
Price up again. Now £3.60 a pint. I don’t blame them, times are tough. And the beer is good.
This is in Hampshire BTW, where ale can be pricy.

therein lies the problem,
pubs were for working men to congregate for banter and good company, and then people started to eat in them ...if you want to eat go to a restaurant and don't even get me started on bringing your kids into pubs,
it needn't have been made law, it should have been the landlords discretion ,after all he owns the place,
it could have been the bar for beer and fags, and the lounge for non smokers and if you didn't like it go away to some poncy effete wine bar.
Some years ago lots of pubs were indeed multi-roomed, to include a public bar, lounge, dining room etc., which would give room for all. Even the pricing reflected that. The move from that was a shame. Two reasons:
Breweries becoming pub companies and maximising space and therefore income. No cosy corners, no snug etc where a quiet chat could be had.
Licensing. When licensing was in the hands of the police/magistrates, they could insist on changes to pubs. Some saw pubs as places of drug dealing and other activities beyond the law, and alterations were made to ensure the drinking areas could be seen from the bar at all times to keep the licence.
This well before discreet CCTV etc.

Don't complain when all of the outside tables are full of smokers during the warm/hot spells, you lot have got what you wanted, a smoke/cigarette free pub, the fact that it smells of stale beer/BO/farts is not a smoker's problem.
Hey, ho, such is modern life. Now my “fresh” air is contaminated by the slight whiff of a Marlboro Light. I’m leaving. Hang on, that utter bar steward is having a Hamlet. Same again?

Do you normally take breakfast with Kromeriz? :-D

Less of a problem for blokes as we don't usually carry a mirror.

One of my local pubs is linked to a local brewery, although not exclusively so. After the brewery was bought, beer went up earlier this year.
They survived by take away brewery-filled bladders pre-ordered and done at the brewery.
I was passing by, and on spec knocked on the window. Barrels tapped for tomorrow, so got a carry out (which they had always done).
Price up again. Now £3.60 a pint. I don’t blame them, times are tough. And the beer is good.
This is in Hampshire BTW, where ale can be pricy.
That's £28.80 a gallon. And people whine about the price of petrol.

I think tonight is gonna be like brits abroad - people insisting they simply must have a full English breakfast - despite the fact they probably haven't had one at home in 5 years. I think today/tonight will be full of people going to the pub "just because" - realise how shit it is and scuttle off quickly before the off-licence shuts at 22:00.

Latest Threads