Off Down the Pub on Saturday Night?

endure

GCM
The pubs might have died but the places where you could go and have a drink and a meal without coughing your lungs up made up for them...
therein lies the problem,
pubs were for working men to congregate for banter and good company, and then people started to eat in them ...if you want to eat go to a restaurant and don't even get me started on bringing your kids into pubs,
it needn't have been made law, it should have been the landlords discretion ,after all he owns the place,
it could have been the bar for beer and fags, and the lounge for non smokers and if you didn't like it go away to some poncy effete wine bar.

Sexton Blake

Old-Salt
A few months after the Govt’s mid 90’s decision allowing pubs to stay open all day I was on an interview for a particular overseas trg establishment I had volunteered for. At the tail end of the interview.

Full Colonel Interview Board Member - “Right Sgt SB, what are your thoughts on 24 hour drinking”?

Me - “Can’t see what all the fuss is about Sir“.

Col - “Really?” “Explain further young man”

Me - ‘Well, I mean, let’s be honest Sir, who hasn’t attempted a 24 hour session on a boring, wet weekend in the Mess”? get into 48 hour drinking Sir and yes you probably have a problem, but 24 hours? Pah”.

Col (and both other board members) - .........Tumbleweed.........

I didn’t make the cut.

Last edited:
Snip
and don't even get me started on bringing your kids into pubs,
I was once asked to stop swearing. In a pub. On a Thursday evening. By the parents of young children. Who should never have been in a pub at that hour (21:00 approximately.) “Fuck off you Pommie cunts,” is apparently not an acceptable response. I did finish my pint before I left though, and they left before me. Shame the landlord was such a twat.

The families club has never been the same since they banned unaccompanied singlies

TamH70

MIA
In answer to the OP, no, because A, I Iive in Scotland, and B, because even if I didn't, I don't have a death wish.

While looking forward to a post lockdown pub visit for the first time since 20th March, I also expect carnage. A combination of the died in the wool alcoholics, pissed up yoof, amateur drinkers coupled with a lack of capacity and no standing at the bar.

Mayhem.
Pretty weak excuse for not getting your round in, if you ask me.. :-D

you always had the choice, if you didn't like the smell why did you go in the pubs? you knew what it was like inside, all you achieved was you took away a social way of life that a lot of men enjoyed.
Well, now you have a choice. I’ve been a pub user since I was 15 years old. That’s when I joined the army. I like a beer. I‘m a real ale man. A lot of my mates use the pub and I like the convivial atmosphere that a decent pub can generate.

I’ve never liked the smokey atmosphere and in particular, it‘s really annoying sitting at a table and watching a huge cloud of smoke drifting over to envelope you and it’s even more annoying when it’s coming from a nearby table that you aren’t even sitting at.

All that’s happened is that firstly it’s been recognised that there is a serious health issue that shouldn’t be allowed to threaten people who actually are making some effort to try and not become ill with something like COPD or lung cancer and pubs have also evolved with the times. There are more non smokers than smokers and that’s now being catered for.

I also think it’s rather arrogant to just regard the issue of potentially inflicting a life threatening disease or even just an unpleasant experience on other people as acceptable. The fact that you smoke doesn’t mean that others who don’t should be involuntarily compelled to do so.

So now smokers and non smokers can enjoy the pub experience equally and if you need to smoke a cigarette, just get your arrse outside in the designated smoking area for five minutes and then return to enjoy your beer with the rest of us!

Last edited:
I haven't been there for many years, but I remember it as a nice old boozer. I think it's a Fuller's house... or it used to be.

It was a particular favourite of a colleague of mine. Unfortunately, one night he collapsed at the bar with a fatal heart attack. He was a lovely chap, but if ever there was a candidate for such a demise, it was he. He used to cane the overtime. He's the only bloke I know who managed to fall asleep during an interview. The interview tape was hilarious. You could hear his questioning gradually tail off into steady snoring. Even the prisoner was laughing. I don't think that the poor bloke was that far off retirement.

Further along the Uxbridge Road towards Hayes End, there were some proper dives, like the Heath Tavern, the Carpenters, the Adam & Eve and the Star. The Angel wasn't too bad, or the Vine round the corner in Angel Lane.

I'd be quite surprised if any of them still existed.
It is a Fuller’s pub but they’ve added a hotel on the place which has changed it a lot. Back in the old days, it was a great pub and the London Pride was always a great pint. It had a lot of regulars including many who travelled considerable distances to drink there. I actually live in West Drayton which while not too far away isn’t on the doorstep and I’ve been using the place for some forty years.

The landlord was a guy called Mike Stoneman who was a bit of a disciplinarian but how he ran the place did work. You had to drink in the pub for a year before he would start to greet you as you walked in the door but once you had done your apprenticeship, he did look after you. There was very little trouble in the place. It was also often used by off duty police officers and there was some really interesting booze ups used to take place in there.

I think I can vaguely recall someone being taken ill there and dying but I wasn’t actually there when it happened. It was one of those things where you walked in the pub and someone said, crikey you should have been here earlier or blimey after you left last night.

It closed for a year while they built a new hotel on the back of the place. There was also a small hotel two doors down which they also brought out and added to the complex and they also revamped the pub itself. Mainly the decor.

The new regime was a managed house and for several years, the regulars were regarded as people to take their money off them but don’t try too hard to spoil them because the hotel is the bit that they really wanted to push. Let’s get all those business folks in here and get them spending their expense accounts.

So you would turn up and sink a few beers of which incidentally, the prices had been raised quite a bit and then at the end of the evening, where under the old regime, a bit of slack was dished out allowing people to finish their beer and then leave, under the new regime people were treated rudely and told to leave.

So guys who had been drinking in there for many years and who had on that evening spent a considerable amount on their bar bill were unceremoniously turfed out while Joe Bloggs who was spending a couple of days in the area on business and when he left would probably never be seen there again sat there watching the regulars being treated like crap.

Unsurprisingly, many of the regulars who also play golf now stick to the golf clubhouse five minutes walk away from the Red Lion.

That behaviour has cost the pub probably a considerable fortune because I’ve been in there on many occasions and I’ve noticed the place is often empty when back in the day, there were at least always a few of the diehards in there spending money.

I think the pub itself has also thought through what’s been going on because there has been a change of management and there has also been a definite change of attitude with the regulars who are still using the place being treated with more regard by the staff than they used to treat them. One noticeable thing is that people are no longer hounded to leave on the dot when the place closes.

To put some perspective on that, I’ve been ill and haven’t been in there since last November and obviously the place has been closed for much of this year but a pint of London Pride was £4.95. They sell a couple of different lagers and they are all over a fiver a pint. A bottled beer is a fiver minimum. Wine is an arm and a leg at around five or six quid for a glass. You can go in there and a good session these days can run to around fifty or sixty quid for the evening depending on whether you start to cane the shorts as the evening wears on and your capacity diminishes.

I still enjoy it in there when I go but I’ve reduced my visits largely because I do drink less these days. I think that’s a family thing. My grandad and my dad largely cut back on drinking when they retired. I’m sixty five this October and I’m definitely not enjoying it as much as I used to although I do still enjoy it. Just not as much volume as I used to.

Further up the Uxbridge Road going toward Hayes, I think the Heath Tavern is an Indian Restaurant, the Carpenters has been on life support for some time now, the Star is shut and the building has been knocked down. The Angel is closed and I believe will imminently become a mosque and the Vine around the corner was knocked down years ago and a residential care home is there now. The Adam and Eve has always been a paddy pub and still survives.

Sorry for the extremely long post but that’s it! :)

Last edited:
I think this sums it up nicely for me. I’ll support our village pub, but avoid establishments in towns like the plague (literally).
0606BD71-34C3-4A05-94DF-221E3F929018.jpeg

pete49

Old-Salt
Well, now you have a choice. I’ve been a pub user since I was 15 yeas old. That’s when I joined the army. I like a beer. I‘m a real ale man. A lot of my mates use the pub and I like the convivial atmosphere that a decent pub can generate.

I’ve never like the smokey atmosphere and in particular, it‘s really annoying sitting at a table and watching a huge cloud of smoke drifting over to envelope you and it’s even more annoying when it’s coming from a nearby table that you aren’t even sitting at.

All that’s happened is that firstly it’s been recognised that there is a serious health issue that shouldn’t be allowed to threaten people who actually are making some effort to try and not become ill with something like COPD or lung cancer and pubs have also evolved with the times. There are more non smokers than smokers and that’s now being catered for.

I also think it’s rather arrogant to just regard the issue of potentially inflicting a life threatening disease or even just an unpleasant experience on other people as acceptable. The fact that you smoke doesn’t mean that others who don’t should involuntarily be compelled to do so.

So now smokers and non smokers can enjoy the pub experience equally and if you need to smoke a cigarette, just get your arrse outside in the designated smoking area for five minutes and then return to enjoy your beer with the rest of us!
And standing in the doorway Smoking is not outside

Mufulira

Old-Salt
My local started opening for 'takeaways', a few evenings a week.
The weekend before last and because it was sunny, they opened on a Saturday lunchtime. Within the hour you had about 60 -80 men standing outside drinking their takeaways, and then peeing in the local hedges and people's gardens.

Now it's not open at all.
IIRC the E African locale sign advising employees that "Urinating in the hedge = 1 day's pay as a fine" the Hibiscus hedge had to be 10 metres tall in record time! Never saw anyone peering over anybody's shoulder to ascertain urinating was occurring!

Well, now you have a choice. I’ve been a pub user since I was 15 yeas old. That’s when I joined the army. I like a beer. I‘m a real ale man. A lot of my mates use the pub and I like the convivial atmosphere that a decent pub can generate.

I’ve never like the smokey atmosphere and in particular, it‘s really annoying sitting at a table and watching a huge cloud of smoke drifting over to envelope you and it’s even more annoying when it’s coming from a nearby table that you aren’t even sitting at.

I also think it’s rather arrogant to just regard the issue of potentially inflicting a life threatening disease or even just an unpleasant experience on other people as acceptable. The fact that you smoke doesn’t mean that others who don’t should involuntarily be compelled to do so.

On the other side of the coin...if you want non smokey air just get off your arse and go outside. Theres plenty outside.

On the other side of the coin...if you want non smokey air just get off your arse and go outside. Theres plenty outside.
Did I mention the word “arrogant?”

Actually yes I believe I did! That said.........

I’ve been dealing with some housing cases recently. As a result of working for a local authority for twenty years in several departments, you pick some stuff up and I’m sometimes asked by people to help out with their application to be housed.

you would be amazed just how prevalent COPD is and if you met some of the people I have when I’ve been doing this work and you saw what it was doing to them, you’d pack up smoking anyway.

They are in their fifties and sixties but to be honest, I’d be surprised if most of them make it to their seventies. It’s a really unpleasant disease to live with and a fairly horrible way to die.

You’d be doing yourself a real favour quitting!

Mate, you've lost that battle long ago and a jolly good thing, too. I used to smoke, but I never considered pubs to be the exclusive domain of smokers. I could quite see that it was obnoxious and unhealthy to others and I could see the sense in banning it in public places. The small inconveniences that arose from the ban probably assisted me in packing up, which was no bad thing.

I enjoyed smoking but it is an expensive mugs' game, injurious to health and obnoxious to others.

Within the last two years, three people known to me have suffered its consequences. One has lung cancer that is now doing the grand tour around his other organs and two had their voice boxes taken away (one has since died). All smokers.

There is no worthwhile argument in its favour and certainly none for imposing it on others.

philc

LE
Early doors here.

Here in rural north Wiltshire a number of posh country eateries and pubs have been providing take out meals. Some have even brought in catering caravans or external BBQ setups to do really posh takeaways. Sinve lockdown eased Wifey and I have been to a number of these and they've been great. For the last three friday evenings Wifey and I have taken our camper van and George dog (see avatar) to Wellington Barn near Calne where chef Peter Vaughan has cooked great food at a really good price (about £12 for main and dessert). Friends have done the same, we've parked up side by side and had socially distanced picnics and chats.

Tomorrow our village pub, the country hotel pub and the posh restaurant (we have no shop but three eateries!) are all opening and friends have arranged for us to have a meal in the hotel. Wifey and I are not looking forward to it. We've really enjoyed our trips out. We've been working all the way through and the couple of hours out have felt so relaxed. We just don't want to go back to table service and stuffiness and being enclosed :-( (and the bill!) and the strangeness of the new going out.

Incidentally I don't smoke I used to and enjoyed everyone. But I took a TIA 5 years ago and it scared me off them ( but I must admit I don't see any benefit apart from cost) I also no longer drink because I miss the type of pub that I have been schimphing on here about.

Latest Threads