Off Down the Pub on Saturday Night?

The pubs died when the puritans made them smoke free
I disagree. I’ve been a pub goer since I was 15 years old and I’ve always been sick to the teeth of going home smelling like an ash tray and wondering god knows what the smoke I’ve been inhaling all night is going to do to my lungs.

Why should I be at risk of COPD or lung cancer, both killer diseases, just because others have a smoking habit. Smokers are free to continue using pubs. They just have to go outside for a puff.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I disagree. I’ve been a pub goer since I was 15 years old and I’ve always been sick to the teeth of going home smelling like an ash tray and wondering god knows what the smoke I’ve been inhaling all night is going to do to my lungs.

Why should I be at risk of COPD or lung cancer, both killer diseases, just because others have a smoking habit. Smokers are free to continue using pubs. They just have to go outside for a puff.
Don't complain when all of the outside tables are full of smokers during the warm/hot spells, you lot have got what you wanted, a smoke/cigarette free pub, the fact that it smells of stale beer/BO/farts is not a smoker's problem.

I have just got two extra packs [20 bottles] of Old speckled hen, no pub for me:):):):)

EDIT, one pack now in my garage fridge
In the fridge!?
ALE IN THE FRIDGE!?
I bet you drink fizzy cider with ice in it, don't you?

It's simples gentlemen.....use the penis principle: ' For pubs in this country it is absolutely:

' USE IT - OR LOSE IT ...'
[/QUOTE]

Unless, of course, the pub in question had previously adopted a rather casual 'TAKE IT - OR LEAVE IT ...' attitude with their variable opening times for the benefit of their staff.

Don't complain when all of the outside tables are full of smokers during the warm/hot spells, you lot have got what you wanted, a smoke/cigarette free pub, the fact that it smells of stale beer/BO/farts is not a smoker's problem.
I prefer not to sit outside because the pub I mainly use is situated next to a dual carriageway. It’s an old coaching inn next to the Uxbridge Road/Hillingdon Hill. Back in the day, it would have been on the main road to Oxford from London. I don’t see the point of sitting next to all that traffic and it’s a fairly well kept pub inside so it’s quite enjoyable to sit inside. Without the cigarette smoke obviously.

Last edited:
I prefer not to sit outside because the pub I mainly use because it’s situated next to a dual carriageway. It’s an old coaching inn next to the Uxbridge Road/Hillingdon Hill. Back in the day, it would have been on the main road to Oxford from London. I don’t see the point of sitting next to all that traffic and it’s fairly well kept pub inside so it’s quite enjoyable to sit inside. Without the cigarette smoke obviously.
Red Lion or The Vine?

philc

LE
I think the pubs died when they started charging a fiver for a pint.
Year before last after a funeral waiting for the wife to collect me, popped in to one of the towns less finer establishments, a pint of Strongbow and a double Bells was a fiver, I suggest you move. Prices like that to be found always.

So by how much will a pint go up by, to cover the "emergency". I belive Ulster still blames over pricing on the shipping strike of '68.
CFB

So by how much will a pint go up by, to cover the "emergency". I belive Ulster still blames over pricing on the shipping strike of '68.
CFB
Hmm, I wonder. The landlords, breweries and pubcos will have been given quite a nasty shock by lockdown. The last thing they will want to do is frighten away more of their customers with price increases. Very much a buyers' market at the moment.

Holy Shit ! Where do you live ?
£3.80 for 4.8% and above at my local at the time of the Chinese Pestilence.
£6;50 in West London according to mini Ancient. Here in Cardiff I pay £3;75 in a ludicrously bohemian bar (St Canna's Alehouse) which is pretentious enough even by my standards.

At The "Clive" which is a less salubrious establishment it is £3;30 less 20p if Cardiff City are playing.

I'll give it a couple of days and let the kids get overexcited. I'll then hit it on a weekday afternoon next week when I hope the crowds will have thinned out.
Likewise. I'll be popping into my new local round about tuesday I reckon.

£6;50 in West London according to mini Ancient. Here in Cardiff I pay £3;75 in a ludicrously bohemian bar (St Canna's Alehouse) which is pretentious enough even by my standards.

At The "Clive" which is a less salubrious establishment it is £3;30 less 20p if Cardiff City are playing.
As long as the beer is good - is my starting point.
Will occaisionaly pay ' over the odds' if travelling - but it had better be good.

I gave you a like. Unfortunately your last point is true. I can remember when a well conditioned ale and an attractive barmaid were enough......with the chance of an occasional lock-in thrown in as well.
Oohhh Sunday afternoon drinking.

There is nothing to stop you giving a false name and the address of a semi-derelict property. It's not like they are gonna check.
The bloke checking also cleans my windows, I'm not paying for a haunted house to have clean windows

And sweaty ham and cheese rolls from under a glass cover that have been in the sun all day.
Ham and cheese? If that’s in the same cob, that’s luxury eating, that is.
Reckon pubs that used to serve snacks like this went bust due to the amount of cling film they placed around the roll - about 20 yards in some cases.
The best bit was getting dead cheap scran later in the day before they went in the bin.

You could always tell them that you're self-identifying as Eddy Grant of Electric Avenue. If they won't accept that, they must be some sort of -ist.
Realist?

Latest Threads