Off Down the Pub on Saturday Night?

I love pubs, but I won't be going to one on Saturday. My reasons are several:

Additionally, I had kind of boycotted my usual local well before lockdown started. The place is managed and staffed by millennials who seem to think the the pub should be run for their own benefit. A lot of its custom consists of diners. If the restaurant is not very busy, the manager takes it as an opportunity to give the staff an early finish.
this.
Many of our locals have the same problem.

I'll give it a couple of days of weeks and and let the kids get overexcited. start showing symptoms I'll then hit it on a weekday afternoon next week when I hope the crowds will have thinned out. ended up in ITU.

fixed.

Blogg

LE
4 pubs within striking distance, in reality 2 because the others are dire.

But it matters not: none are opening thanks to the onerous rules and the "deeply unhelpful and aggressive attitude" of local powers that be.

The traditional English boozer has been slowly dying a death for about 10 years or so particularly in rural areas. Pre lockdown figures were about 76 shutting per month.

The recent lockdown will claim a few thousand more scalps and social distancing will claim even more when they do reopen. Man caves around the country will be reopening and friends will gather at each others houses. For those of us who enjoy a well kept and well poured draught ale, there are many micro breweries around the country selling and delivering polypins and barrels.

It's sad to think the British pub could be almost extinct in 20 years time.

"TIME, GENTLEMEN PLEASE!"
They have probably had their time, Tinder, online gambling, cheap alcohol in supermarkets, social media, smoking ban, drink driving penalties, violence, etc have all played a part.
There isnt much point in pubs any more.

They have probably had their time, Tinder, online gambling, cheap alcohol in supermarkets, social media, smoking ban, drink driving penalties, violence, etc have all played a part.
I gave you a like. Unfortunately your last point is true. I can remember when a well conditioned ale and an attractive barmaid were enough......with the chance of an occasional lock-in thrown in as well.

Dr Death

War Hero
Pubs were shitholes before Covid-19.

Pubs will now be seething infectious killer virus breeding ground shitholes
Local wants you to book a slot & give full name & address just in case anyone gets cv19.
I will staying away till all the old beer has been peed away.

How many bods use the pubs just to watch sport?
It was, I recall, a lifesaver for many back in the 90s.

Euclid

War Hero
And don't forget, civilians will be out as well.
To give you an idea of how seriously this is being taken by the emergency services, all ambulance shifts at my trust, on Fri, Sat and Sun are being incentivised. That means that crew on o/t will receive an extra £100 for a day shift and £150 for a night shift. People are genuinely twitchy about the nightmare that's about to happen.

Personally, if I'm not working, I'll be at home hiding.
It will make a bloody good Sky One Booze Britain episode. But where to go with the camera crew to get the most depressingly seedy footage? Do they go Geordie slappers, Scouse skank, or plastic cockernee Essex boys?

A few States over here in the US opened up the pubs and restaurants last month with strict social distancing rules. Herself told me yesterday that due to a spike in numbers of new cases in some States they are closing them again.

I've just done risk assessment for a local boozer with a restaurant.
Basically sit in your zone , dont turn round and talk or get near to other tables.
If you want a piss then stand in the toilet queue zone and wait your turn.
It would be easier having a lock in at the nasty bit inside Porton Down.
The trade will be on its arse after this and it was pretty fucked before

no f in beer

War Hero
Could be messy locally on Saturday, quite a few pubs are taking table bookings, no booking, no entry. However, it is Derby v Forest with a 1230 ko, so i assume the mongs from both teams will be looking for a pint or 3.

I only go to the pub to meet mates prior to footy, cannot go to footy, so not going to pub, don't know anyone who is

anglo

LE
I have just got two extra packs [20 bottles] of Old speckled hen, no pub for me:):):):)

EDIT, one pack now in my garage fridge

I've just done risk assessment for a local boozer with a restaurant.
Basically sit in your zone , dont turn round and talk or get near to other tables.
If you want a piss then stand in the toilet queue zone and wait your turn.
It would be easier having a lock in at the nasty bit inside Porton Down.
The trade will be on its arse after this and it was pretty fucked before
I spoke to my favourite pubs Landlord the other day and he echoes all you said above.
The layout of the garden may make a difference - in good weather - but what with the new staffing requirement, reduced business etc .....

Things ain't looking good.

Thanks China.

Dwarf

LE
FWIW over here in Catalonia pubs have been open for a while. But here there is the terrace mentality and people can sit out.
Sitting in pubs was either not possible, my local is an 'English style' tavern and didn't open as it didn't have a terrace. Now it is, but restricted - it took two weeks before they put out some, not all bar stools.

People tended to be wary of sitting inside but didn'y have a problem outside. They don't get as close as before and touching is not the habit.

I think you may find, except among chav types that similar will happen, and if you do get good weather and a place to sit outside, then pubs may well be popular.

Out in the sticks, a village pub is still relevant. Our village pub is hanging on and the landlord has used the lockdown period to give his premises a much needed spruce up ready for re-opening next Friday. He has provided a much needed take away service throughout lockdown, in a small village where there are no shops or takeaways.
I wouldn’t go near a pub or restaurant in a town or city at the moment, but our village landlord deserves our support and we’ll be there next week. Praying for good weather so he can exploit the outdoor seating in the beer garden, because he doesn’t really have a wet weather plan B, as the pub is tiny.
Wishing him well.

Local wants you to book a slot & give full name & address just in case anyone gets cv19.
I will staying away till all the old beer has been peed away.
There is nothing to stop you giving a false name and the address of a semi-derelict property. It's not like they are gonna check.