Off Down the Pub on Saturday Night?

Well, that was a mistake.

Invited to pub and the system seems to work well enough. You rock up to the door, get given a bit of paper to put contact details on and are allocated a table. Staff wander around taking orders and delivering drinks which was a bit odd to have waiter service for a few pints.

The issue is that a lot of people interpreted 'pubs are open' as 'you must get shitfaced'. Quite a few groups were absolutely falling down drunk and, as you can't choose your table, we ended up next to an obnoxiously loud group. No aggro but being sat with my back to them made it difficult to relax when I was expecting a load of vomit down my neck any second.

The only upside I can see is that the predicted violence at closing time won't be too much of an issue as by that point most people will be unable to stand unsupported.
Half day from work so out for a quiet pint. The contact details paper seems to have been abandoned, I can choose my own table and order at the bar. Feels much like it did in February apart from the hand sanitiser (and it's warmer obviously).

The squaddies seem younger than I remember as well.

You must live in an impoverished area filled with Wetherspoons and other Chav pub chains. Where I live, there are 4 pubs, 2 which sell craft beer and the like, 1 is a Spoons and the other is an ex Youngs pub, now an independent whose prices fall between Spoons and the other 2, all have a steady trade throughout the week and it's not that affluent an area either (Catford). Plus there are a couple of "Lounges" that cater for our more exotic brethren as well that only open at weekends that are also busy too.
Where's the spoons? Haven't been there for 20 odd years. Used to be the copperfield, on the bridge, the ram (i think), near Tesco and the black horse, opposite the theater.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Where's the spoons? Haven't been there for 20 odd years. Used to be the copperfield, on the bridge, the ram (i think), near Tesco and the black horse, opposite the theater.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
The Black Horse is now The Ninth Life (Craft Beer pub), Copperfield is now the Catford Bridge Tavern (Craft Beer pub), The Ram is now an independent called The Black Cat. Spoons was built in 2000 (I was the first Guvnor) and is on Rushey Green opposite Boots chemist and The Rising Sun which is now flats. Since 2005, Catford has lost 5 pubs, the Dartmouth now flats, Rising Sun now flats, The George now flats and a Tesco Express, Place House Tavern flats again and Plough and Harrow now split in 2, one half a Nigerian restaurant, the other half a Nigerian "beauty salon".

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

roninxix

War Hero

philc

LE
I have yet to go to the pub I wish to, or any other for that matter.

Driving around we have several boarded up, closed gone and quite a lot not opened yet for what ever reason.

One of the biggest punter drawing pubs down our seafront The Newcastle Packet has not opened yet, which does surprise me. This place is rammed summer weekends and nights with shite karaoke but takes bundles, enough to keep it open all year which you cant say about the other pubs down the front.

Latest Threads