Off Down the Pub on Saturday Night?

Councils should look at our devastated town centres, curb their greed and for the sake of their communities slash business rates to a reasonable level that will encourage people to open shops instead of trading online.

Until they wake up and smell the coffee, town centres, and society in general, will continue to suffer.
Whilst I continue to WFH, which I will for the near future, it's easier to shop online.

I think the only realistic option now is to say '**** it' and get things up and running without any restrictions and let nature take its course. Social distancing is not compatible with... well... anything really. If the virus is as deadly as to warrant PPE and exclusion zones, then **** all should be running or open. It clearly isn't ('for most a mild illness'), so let's have done with it. What are we going to do come winter? Close everything down again as soon as people get the sniffles?

In 2017-2018 there were 'supposedly' 50,000 excess flu-related deaths in the UK. That's more than the 'supposed' 40,000 for C-19. I say 'supposed' because there's a lot of inconsistencies: 'died with, not of' etc.

I contracted Aussie Flu over Christmas 2017 and it was grim and can understand why some people who got whacked didn't survive it. I have underlying health issues and I suppose it could have finished me off. But it didn't and I'm still here. C'est la vie.

BMJ
Indeed. We didn’t lock down with measles for example, and many died from that.
Crashing the economy and ruining the education for millions seems beyond outrageous.
Protect care homes ,hospitals and vulnerable people, not the entire population.

I think the point is that infections and deaths are never going to get down to zero, so the Government, at some point, has to accept an ‘acceptable’ level of fatalities and allow the country to get back to normal, just as they do with normal flu.
Exactly!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Guardian gutted.

Fears of widespread disorder unfounded as English pubs reopen
Relief as concerns about overwhelmed emergency services fail to materialise.
Let's not pat everyone on the back quite yet eh?

Lets see whether we get the expected Covid-19 spike as a result of dumfuc*ery during "Super Saturday" yeah?

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Let's not pat everyone on the back quite yet eh?

Lets see whether we get the expected Covid-19 spike as a result of dumfuc*ery during "Super Saturday" yeah?

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
And in a month, a rise in stds.
And in 9 months...
Oh, and how many mongs will be only feeling the effects of yesterday today?
Alcohol poisoning anyone?

Caveat- I have no medical quals whatsoever.

Is it viable that, according to the powers that be- yesterday was just a 'Chickenpox party" on a national scale - and engineered to be so?

UncivilServant

Old-Salt
Well, now you have a choice. I’ve been a pub user since I was 15 years old. That’s when I joined the army. I like a beer. I‘m a real ale man. A lot of my mates use the pub and I like the convivial atmosphere that a decent pub can generate.

I’ve never liked the smokey atmosphere and in particular, it‘s really annoying sitting at a table and watching a huge cloud of smoke drifting over to envelope you and it’s even more annoying when it’s coming from a nearby table that you aren’t even sitting at.

All that’s happened is that firstly it’s been recognised that there is a serious health issue that shouldn’t be allowed to threaten people who actually are making some effort to try and not become ill with something like COPD or lung cancer and pubs have also evolved with the times. There are more non smokers than smokers and that’s now being catered for.

I also think it’s rather arrogant to just regard the issue of potentially inflicting a life threatening disease or even just an unpleasant experience on other people as acceptable. The fact that you smoke doesn’t mean that others who don’t should be involuntarily compelled to do so.

So now smokers and non smokers can enjoy the pub experience equally and if you need to smoke a cigarette, just get your arrse outside in the designated smoking area for five minutes and then return to enjoy your beer with the rest of us!
Or alternatively, why not have smoking and non-smoking pubs, you know, giving people a choice?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Caveat- I have no medical quals whatsoever.

Is it viable that, according to the powers that be- yesterday was just a 'Chickenpox party" on a national scale - and engineered to be so?
I paid over 200 quid to be vaccinated against fecking chicken pox!

I paid over 200 quid to be vaccinated against fecking chicken pox!
I'm sure you'll agree - It's fair to assume that Chicken Pox would spot you and think..."Fuck that for a game of soldiers" and promptly moonwalk out of the situation :)

Guardian gutted.

Fears of widespread disorder unfounded as English pubs reopen
Relief as concerns about overwhelmed emergency services fail to materialise.
Just for a balanced view.

Load of shite. And thus continues to be.
No riots.
It was grand.
Local dickheads on FB: we was there! My kid turned 18 in lockdown and now I can buy him a drink!
The settlement up the road has no alcohol outlet - they have come here!
(One of this bunch had a small child that I think were willing to walk - the rest were stupefied). Drug enforcement is probably about zero - our LE guys need a break after the inundation of Covid).
Business as normal.

Load of shite. And thus continues to be.
No riots.
It was grand.
Local ********* on FB: we was there! My kid turned 18 in lockdown and now I can buy him a drink!
The settlement up the road has no alcohol outlet - they have come here!
(One of this bunch had a small child that I think were willing to walk - the rest were stupefied). Drug enforcement is probably about zero - our LE guys need a break after the inundation of Covid).
Business as normal.
Just back from my local, nice wee drink and chat.

Big fights last night apparently and suspect locality not unusual in that respect.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I've always been a pub goer, I enjoyed the rowdyness as a youngster, the making of friendships and some cute business deals as I got older, the quiet pint in the corner as I hit the last third of my life.

I never drank at home, unless it was a party/bbq I loved the pub and was gutted when I was told by my landlord, that fateful Friday evening in March, that he was closing down indefinitely.

Since then I've got a beer fridge and I'm quite happy sitting at home with a beer, my best mate and I binned the covid advice and we've been each others bubble long before Boris went public with it.

I had no intention of going out yesterday, "Super Saturday" and I realised today that I really have no inclination to go in the near future.

Staying at home is the new me and I feel better for it.

I can't be the only one.

I used to be a regular bar fly in the village pub, but I moved away from Ruralshire to the suburbs a couple of years ago. The vibe is totally different, or rather non-existent, so I seldom venture out nowadays. I have missed the sit downs at my local curry house though. I hate to think how I'd have survived lockdown in my old environment. The pub was the hub.