Off Down the Pub on Saturday Night?

I wonder how many people are shitting cleaning fluid through the eye of a needle this morning?

Well, perhaps that's the beauty about being a 'former' government adviser. You're free to say what you think.
He's right though. All we have to do is get rid of the virus.

Just a shame that he didn't suggest how.

Awol

LE
I think the point is that infections and deaths are never going to get down to zero, so the Government, at some point, has to accept an ‘acceptable’ level of fatalities and allow the country to get back to normal, just as they do with normal flu.

I think the only realistic option now is to say 'fuck it' and get things up and running without any restrictions and let nature take its course. Social distancing is not compatible with... well... anything really. If the virus is as deadly as to warrant PPE and exclusion zones, then fuck all should be running or open. It clearly isn't ('for most a mild illness'), so let's have done with it. What are we going to do come winter? Close everything down again as soon as people get the sniffles?

In 2017-2018 there were 'supposedly' 50,000 excess flu-related deaths in the UK. That's more than the 'supposed' 40,000 for C-19. I say 'supposed' because there's a lot of inconsistencies: 'died with, not of' etc.

I contracted Aussie Flu over Christmas 2017 and it was grim and can understand why some people who got whacked didn't survive it. I have underlying health issues and I suppose it could have finished me off. But it didn't and I'm still here. C'est la vie.

BMJ

Struggling this end, to be honest.
I think that is going to be the major problem that emerges from this pandemic. Ther are a number of things that people did before as a matter of course. Things like high street shopping, spending money in some pretty bloody average pubs and restaurants, suffering the indignity and discomfort of modern air travel and the like.

Being put in a position where for an extended period they are unable to indulge in such things, a lot of people will have got out of the habit. When things are relaxed or return to normal, many will say, 'You know, I don't actually miss that very much. I don't think I'll bother'.

We are probably over-provided for with many services of very variable quality. A lot are not going to come back or else they'll fail quite quickly. A bad thing for those employed in such businesses, but will it be such a terrible thing from a consumer's point of view?

I think that is going to be the major problem that emerges from this pandemic. Ther are a number of things that people did before as a matter of course. Things like high street shopping, spending money in some pretty bloody average pubs and restaurants, suffering the indignity and discomfort of modern air travel and the like.

Being put in a position where for an extended period they are unable to indulge in such things, a lot of people will have got out of the habit. When things are relaxed or return to normal, many will say, 'You know, I don't actually miss that very much. I don't think I'll bother'.

We are probably over-provided for with many services of very variable quality. A lot are not going to come back or else they'll fail quite quickly. A bad thing for those employed in such businesses, but will it be such a terrible thing from a consumer's point of view?
British youth are always going to get bladdered and be total twats, those who can't see any enjoyment in it are either kidding themselves or had shit teen/early adult lives. In my early to mid twenties most of it was in Germany, then I started growing out of it.

That's not going to go away, it may displace a bit from the High St but that's it.

People are still going to want to eat out.

The rest of it? Stuff changes and we adapt. Loss of High St chains as they move online is inevitable, what we do with our urban city centres a big challenge.

Awol

LE
British youth are always going to get bladdered and be total twats, those who can't see any enjoyment in it are either kidding themselves or had shit teen/early adult lives. In my early to mid twenties most of it was in Germany, then I started growing out of it.

That's not going to go away, it may displace a bit from the High St but that's it.

People are still going to want to eat out.

The rest of it? Stuff changes and we adapt. Loss of High St chains as they move online is inevitable, what we do with our urban city centres a big challenge.
Councils should look at our devastated town centres, curb their greed and for the sake of their communities slash business rates to a reasonable level that will encourage people to open shops instead of trading online.

Until they wake up and smell the coffee, town centres, and society in general, will continue to suffer.

Last edited:
Not so much as once was the case. Despite the press pictures depicting wholesale close-quarter bacchanalia, ours was the boozy generation. Today's youngsters drink much less than previous generations.

Not so much as once was the case. Despite the press pictures depicting wholesale close-quarter bacchanalia, ours was the boozy generation. Today's youngsters drink much less than previous generations.
I personally think they're just better at telling lies. But, on the serious side, it comes and goes like any fashion. "Gin Street" & "Beer Steet" are eternal, as pictures of British working class society at play and our political manipulation.

I have just come back from my local brewery ( in our village), after a 8 mile walk. Sunny day, but windy.
We did not do super Saturday, because we thought it might be a bit manic.
I was very impressed with their organisation. The tap room is now the car park room. All the tables had a sign with a QR code, scan it, order it, pay for it and they serve the drinks at you table.

For those without technology, stick your hand up and they will take your order the old fashioned way.

We were very hesitant about going down the pub, but social distancing + was observed by all and we felt that the risk was minimal. The staff said that they have room for 180 customers, but restrict it to 150, for safety sake. The peak when we were there was about 100.

Haven't looked in at the other 2 pubs that are open in the village, but every thing seemed to work well. will let you know in 2 weeks time if I caught anything.

Hmm. Anecdotal evidence (I have 4 between the ages of 18 and 29) would suggest otherwise, judging by the late night texts and vids.

I have just come back from my local brewery ( in our village), after a 8 mile walk. Sunny day, but windy.
We did not do super Saturday, because we thought it might be a bit manic.
I was very impressed with their organisation. The tap room is now the car park room. All the tables had a sign with a QR code, scan it, order it, pay for it and they serve the drinks at you table.

For those without technology, stick your hand up and they will take your order the old fashioned way.

We were very hesitant about going down the pub, but social distancing + was observed by all and we felt that the risk was minimal. The staff said that they have room for 180 customers, but restrict it to 150, for safety sake. The peak when we were there was about 100.

Haven't looked in at the other 2 pubs that are open in the village, but every thing seemed to work well. will let you know in 2 weeks time if I caught anything.
I'll be off down my local to say "Hello" later on, when I've got work stuff out of the way. Avoided yesterday for much the same reasons but do want to see a few people rather than chat on social media with them. Quick nip in, couple of drinks and back home.

I've always been a pub person rather than drinking at home.

Latest Threads