Off Down the Pub on Saturday Night?

Euclid

War Hero
While looking forward to a post lockdown pub visit for the first time since 20th March, I also expect carnage. A combination of the died in the wool alcoholics, pissed up yoof, amateur drinkers coupled with a lack of capacity and no standing at the bar.

Mayhem.

While looking forward to a post lockdown pub visit for the first time since 20th March, I also expect carnage. A combination of the died in the wool alcoholics, pissed up yoof, amateur drinkers coupled with a lack of capacity and no standing at the bar.

Mayhem.
And don't forget, civilians will be out as well.

Our local has announced that they are not opening as they can't meet the social distancing rules.

Fair enough.

Much easier to just meet your mates at their place, having acquired cheaper beverages at your local supermarket

No annoying Sky Sports on or shite music that way

dontenn

War Hero
My local cannot operate on the 2m or 1.5 metre rule, its staying shut and there is talk that it maybe sold to tesco's, that will go down well with our local Nisa.

Pubs were shitholes before Covid-19.

Pubs will now be seething infectious killer virus breeding ground shitholes

Picking up fanny might be a bit harder.

I love pubs, but I won't be going to one on Saturday. My reasons are several:

i) The infection rate is still too high.
ii) The pubs will probably be mobbed.
iii) People will be over-excited, pissed and will forget all about social distancing, Regular pub goers will already know that few people wash their hands after using the toilet at the best of times.
iv) The people who don't become over-friendly and want to shake your hand at every opportunity or else there will be will be the stroppy ones who want to fight everybody.
v) There will be far too many rules and restrictions (whether adhered to or not). I like to drink at the bar. As I understand it, this is one of the things that will not be permitted. You can't do this. You can't do that. A night in the pub is going to be a pretty joyless experience.

Additionally, I had kind of boycotted my usual local well before lockdown started. The place is managed and staffed by millennials who seem to think the the pub should be run for their own benefit. A lot of its custom consists of diners. If the restaurant is not very busy, the manager takes it as an opportunity to give the staff an early finish.

This always happens after Sunday lunch service and randomly on bank holidays (guess when people particularly enjoy going to a pub?) and even at other times. I have moaned to them about this in the past. If people want easy hours then they should stay out of the hospitality industry. Regular and consistent opening hours kind of go with the territory.

The crunch came last New Years Eve. After they had served lunch and the kitchen had closed, the manager decided that it would be nice to give everyone an early finish for New Years Eve. Unfortunately that included anyone still drinking in the bar.

After three months of lockdown and enforced closure, I bet they were begging for an opportunity to open... and to stay open till the end of the evening.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don't think pubs are going to be as busy as everyone thinks, many reasons for this:-
1) No standing at the bar/social distancing thing
2) Having to give contact details to the bar staff, remember a lot of these people, especially the Spoonies, were the same ones spouting "if you've got the track and trace app on your phone, please delete me"
3) As mentioned above, the lockdown rules regarding group sizes have relaxed slightly (Stand down Leicester and Scotland) so having a few mates round for a few drinks in the garden will be cheaper in the long run.
4) People will realise that pubs will have lost half of the seating/tables, so where do you postion yourself within the pub?

One of my siblings is with a home counties force. They are laying on the same officer numbers as they would for a new years eve.

Serious trouble expected.

I'll give it a couple of days and let the kids get overexcited. I'll then hit it on a weekday afternoon next week when I hope the crowds will have thinned out.

I love pubs, but I won't be going to one on Saturday. My reasons are several:

i) The infection rate is still too high.
ii) The pubs will probably be mobbed.
iii) People will be over-excited, pissed and will forget all about social distancing, Regular pub goers will already know that few people wash their hands after using the toilet at the best of times.
iv) The people who don't become over-friendly and want to shake your hand at every opportunity or else there will be will be the stroppy ones who want to fight everybody.
v) There will be far too many rules and restrictions (whether adhered to or not). I like to drink at the bar. As I understand it, this is one of the things that will not be permitted. You can't do this. You can't do that. A night in the pub is going to be a pretty joyless experience.

Additionally, I had kind of boycotted my usual local well before lockdown started. The place is managed and staffed by millennials who seem to think the the pub should be run for their own benefit. A lot of its custom consists of diners. If the restaurant is not very busy, the manager takes it as an opportunity to give the staff an early finish.

This always happens after Sunday lunch service and randomly on bank holidays (guess when people particularly enjoy going to a pub?) and even at other times. I have moaned to them about this in the past. If people want easy hours then they should stay out of the hospitality industry. Regular and consistent opening hours kind of go with the territory.

The crunch came last New Years Eve. After they had served lunch and the kitchen had closed, the manager decided that it would be nice to give everyone an early finish for New Years Eve. Unfortunately that included anyone still drinking in the bar.

After three months of lockdown and enforced closure, I bet they were begging for an opportunity to open... and to stay open till the end of the evening.
When you say that "a night in the pub is going to be a pretty joyless experience", I reckon that about sums up any night out with you, regardless of CV19 or not.

Mayhem.
To give you an idea of how seriously this is being taken by the emergency services, all ambulance shifts at my trust, on Fri, Sat and Sun are being incentivised. That means that crew on o/t will receive an extra £100 for a day shift and £150 for a night shift. People are genuinely twitchy about the nightmare that's about to happen.

Personally, if I'm not working, I'll be at home hiding.

The traditional English boozer has been slowly dying a death for about 10 years or so particularly in rural areas. Pre lockdown figures were about 76 shutting per month.

The recent lockdown will claim a few thousand more scalps and social distancing will claim even more when they do reopen. Man caves around the country will be reopening and friends will gather at each others houses. For those of us who enjoy a well kept and well poured draught ale, there are many micro breweries around the country selling and delivering polypins and barrels.

It's sad to think the British pub could be almost extinct in 20 years time.

"TIME, GENTLEMEN PLEASE!"

The recent lockdown will claim a few thousand more scalps and social distancing will claim even more when they do reopen.
I think that is right. Restaurants too. They depend upon high occupancy.

Apart from the possibilities of infection, people have got out of the habit and realised that they have saved money by not using them. For those unfortunate enough to have lost their jobs, they no longer have the disposable income, in any case.

Even if an effective jab were introduced tomorrow I think a lot have had it. In urban areas, there has probably been a fair bit of over-provision, in any case.
Those that manage to survive could do quite well, however, with the decrease in competition.

Latest Threads