Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFCOM's new Hate Speech Definitions

As of 4th, Jan 2021, OFCOM redefined it's Hate Speech Definitions in it's Broadcasting Code.

Full info here - Section three: Crime, disorder, hatred and abuse

Here's what it now considers the meaning of Hate Speech

OFCOM said:
All forms of expression which spread, incite, promote or justify hatred based on intolerance on the grounds of disability, ethnicity, social origin , gender, sex, gender reassignment, nationality, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, colour, genetic features, language, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth or age.

My bold - what on earth does that mean!?

To me it means the death of creativity, and it means that any vigorous argument or criticism (such as how critical examination of certain religions is now treated as hate speech) of any opinion could be construed at 'hate' and instantly shut down.

I also expect it to be very selectively applied.

Frankie Boyle is done then.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
That should be a certain black female 'comedian' bangs to rights about jokes about 'killing whitey', then.

Or a certain BMI-advantaged female 'comedian' about throwing battery acid in Tories' faces.

To my mind, it's going to go one of two ways. It'll kill the entertainment industry, or it'll make people realise how absurd some people's notions of being offended are and we can eventually get back to normal jogging.

This bit concerns me:
membership of a national minority
...the implication being that it's open season if you're part of the majority.

That, right there, is discrimination.

You're behind the curve.

He's followed the money now gone super-Woke.
Way behind. Haven't watched him in years. Heard the tw@t on the R4 the other day. Unfunny.

As of 4th, Jan 2021, OFCOM redefined it's Hate Speech Definitions in it's Broadcasting Code.

To me it means the death of creativity, and it means that any vigorous argument or criticism (such as how critical examination of certain religions is now treated as hate speech) of any opinion could be construed at 'hate' and instantly shut down.

OK let’s narrow this down. Who can they take piss out of?

Biggish

Clanker
The irony is that the OFCOM statement is a hate speech in itself.
By removing the hilarious potential for jokes about, or criticism of, gingers, bladder slugs, dwarves, hermers, raspberries etc. they are censuring the right to free speech by their very use of it.

Last edited:

endure

GCM

Just sent them an FOI request to explain it. I can hear the helicopters already :eek:

Just sent them an FOI request to explain it. I can hear the helicopters already :eek:

Be afraid, be very afraid....

goodfellas-helicopter-e1604341473451.jpg

The Crown Prosecution Service use Sections 28-32 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and sections 145 and 146 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003.
This states;
"Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice, based on a person's disability or perceived disability; race or perceived race; or religion or perceived religion; or sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation or transgender identity or perceived transgender identity."

My bold. Anyone can think it is a hate crime, even if they are not involved in any way.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The Crown Prosecution Service use Sections 28-32 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and sections 145 and 146 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003.
This states;
"Any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice, based on a person's disability or perceived disability; race or perceived race; or religion or perceived religion; or sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation or transgender identity or perceived transgender identity."

My bold. Anyone can think it is a hate crime, even if they are not involved in any way.
Yep.

So (for instance) if me and my IC3 mate are having a bit of banter and he uses a derogatory term for an IC1 and I reciprocate, even if we both fall about laughing because we know that no harm's been done, someone watching can decide it's racist and make a complaint.

Yep.

So (for instance) if me and my IC3 mate are having a bit of banter and he uses a derogatory term for an IC1 and I reciprocate, even if we both fall about laughing because we know that no harm's been done, someone watching can decide it's racist and make a complaint.
Thus taking police away from dealing with real crime.

Latest Threads