Of Beards, Military Protocol, And Outrage

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mister Badger, Nov 13, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wah Shield up.

Sarah Brown, wife of this countries finest gold stealer.

Wah shield down.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ah yes, of course.....

3. I wonder if there really is an issue with beard-equipment interface or is it merely a convenient excuse? Quite a few of our European allies seem not to have issues with bearded soldiers. I'd be interested to see if/when tests were last carried out to determine the effect of facial hair and respirators or other equipment, also, don't the Andrew use respirators?
    There was a letter in Soldier magazine last year iirc on the subject of beards which some brigadier replied to, airily implying that it would be too much bother to determine an appearance standard for beards.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

No-one? Really? OK then, I guess it's down to me..
    [​IMG]
    Note the pristine combats, the washing and ironing of which must have used up all the water and electricity available in the isolated FOB, otherwise surely a shave would have followed before his return home...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. W P

W P War Hero

Has anyone mentioned Maj-Gen Wingate yet?

[​IMG]

Mind you, he was a bit barmy.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Why don't those who want beards just join the Navy ??

7. I find it utterly idiotic than men *have to* shave in army. Yes, one can wear gas mask properly while having sort of beard (ok, not the Osama - like one)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Russian Orthodoxy obvs...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. I defer to your knowledge HLD DMR, probably being more recent than my own, but my understanding is that a Piper of ANY rank can wear a beard with permission.
    upload_2017-11-14_15-34-8.png

[​IMG]

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Raf regiment obviously srdg have no time, show them a mirror and out come the oakleys

• Like Like x 1
  11. It depends on the regiment as far as I know, and down to battalions when dealing with SCOTS. Since the formation of the Highlanders in 94 (Gillies grew one)it was traditionally only the pm and ps but didn’t really take hold until 4 SCOTS came into existence. Like yourself I have come across pipers with beards over the years, but never asked any questions because I didn’t feel like hearing a load a shite about how superior pipers are to drummers so they are entitled to wear a beard....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Yes, but we don't get a proper face-seal with a beard. It's the same when wearing breathing apparatus for fire-fighting.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

on track relaying they demand clean shaven three hours before the shift. They don't want to pay for the big over head ones
    I'm planning a beard to be a cunt

14. I’m guessing that leakage due to beard growth from respirator/breathing apparatus face seals is to an acceptable level?
    Most if not all modern SCBA operate at positive pressure so mask leakage isn’t as much of an issue. Being a BA user for many years with both air cushion and reflex seal face masks, I find that even being clean shaven, if I’ve been working hard then perspiration can begin to affect the mask seal.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  15. If the beard is neatly trimmed then a decent face seal with BA can be achieved. Should respirators need to be used in anger then beards will have already been shaved off.

• Informative Informative x 1