Of Beards, Military Protocol, And Outrage

Back when the RLC had a pioneer regiment, were all Sergeants within it entitled to grow a beard? Likewise those in its predecessor the Royal Pioneer Corps?

Yes, but we don't get a proper face-seal with a beard. It's the same when wearing breathing apparatus for fire-fighting.
It was also the same when I worked in animal research. This was a Home Office recommendation, if I remember correctly. No beards because it broke the seal on the dust masks (which worked surprisingly well, as I’d suffer lab animal allergy whenever I failed to wear one).

Last edited:
My understanding around the beard and Pipers/Drummers is that Queen Victoria liked a bearded man and "suggested" that beards were grown. That's tradition has been carried on by some.

Several drummies and pretty much all the Pipeys currently wear beards.

Whilst just a painting, the following image contains caricatures of the then serving Drummies of the Scottish Regiments. Several beards.

9soldierladdies

My understanding around the beard and Pipers/Drummers is that Queen Victoria liked a bearded man and "suggested" that beards were grown. That's tradition has been carried on by some.

Several drummies and pretty much all the Pipeys currently wear beards.

Whilst just a painting, the following image contains caricatures of the then serving Drummies of the Scottish Regiments. Several beards.

9soldierladdies
That painting has pizzed a lot of the lowland lads off for years.....

Once again, I've never been a slightly overweight RAF nurse.
but you have been violated with frozen breakfast victuals manufactured by the Walls sausage company by a wretch from this very same site....

but you have been violated with frozen breakfast victuals manufactured by the Walls sausage company by a wretch from this very same site....
Nope. It was Dolly. Sorry to ruin an image from your wank bank.