Of Beards, Military Protocol, And Outrage

Yes, but we don't get a proper face-seal with a beard. It's the same when wearing breathing apparatus for fire-fighting.
It was also the same when I worked in animal research. This was a Home Office recommendation, if I remember correctly. No beards because it broke the seal on the dust masks (which worked surprisingly well, as I’d suffer lab animal allergy whenever I failed to wear one).

Last edited:
My understanding around the beard and Pipers/Drummers is that Queen Victoria liked a bearded man and "suggested" that beards were grown. That's tradition has been carried on by some.

Several drummies and pretty much all the Pipeys currently wear beards.

Whilst just a painting, the following image contains caricatures of the then serving Drummies of the Scottish Regiments. Several beards.

9soldierladdies

My understanding around the beard and Pipers/Drummers is that Queen Victoria liked a bearded man and "suggested" that beards were grown. That's tradition has been carried on by some.

Several drummies and pretty much all the Pipeys currently wear beards.

Whilst just a painting, the following image contains caricatures of the then serving Drummies of the Scottish Regiments. Several beards.

9soldierladdies
That painting has pizzed a lot of the lowland lads off for years.....

Once again, I've never been a slightly overweight RAF nurse.
but you have been violated with frozen breakfast victuals manufactured by the Walls sausage company by a wretch from this very same site....

but you have been violated with frozen breakfast victuals manufactured by the Walls sausage company by a wretch from this very same site....
Nope. It was Dolly. Sorry to ruin an image from your wank bank.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
growler Military History and Militaria 24
K The NAAFI Bar 45
Lairdx Military History and Militaria 20