Of all our moral nonsenses, patriotism is the dumbest

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by western, Mar 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From to-days Telegraph a cracking description of the English:

'Curse the blasted, jelly-boned swines, the slimy, belly-wriggling invertebrates, the miserable sodding rotters, the flaming sods, the snivelling, dribbling, dithering, palsied, pulse-less lot that make up England today, they've got white of egg in their veins, and their spunk is that watery it's a marvel they can breed. They can nothing but frog-spawn - the gibberers! God, how I hate them! Why, why, why was I born an Englishman?"

article continues: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=VOU33OSYUKPLVQFIQMGCFFWAVCBQUIV0?xml=/opinion/2007/03/31/do3104.xml
  2. Yawn.

As this is actually a quote from DH Lawrence, that world reknowned kiddy fiddler who was accused of spying for the German's in the first world war, I'm not in the slightest bit surprised.
    Perhaps if he had survived to see Nazi Germany his views on English militarism might have changed.
    No, probably not - he probably would have had more interest in Cornish farmers.
  3. Leith is a cnut - just ignore him.
  4. Leith is an oxygen thief who fails to make any real point in this waste of reading time. I'm surprised the Tele bothered to print it.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It is 'patriotism' and the way it drives people that made and makes this country what it is (that and greed and self interest).

AS you say, quoting a disenfranchised, hateful, malcontented, queer, traitorous kiddy fiddler is perhaps not the best way to illustrate a point.
  6. I am no supporter of DH Lawrence, who as it happened was quite a good wordsmith or this chap Leith (although it is a fine place to come from). I just liked the description Lawrence made and Leith quoted.
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It probably better describes the French anyway . . .
  8. Leith is what one of my ex-COs referred to as "so wet you could shoot snipe off him". However I believe it was Dryden who said "Never was patriot yet but was a fool" while Dr Johnson was of the belief that "Patriotism is the lat refuge of the scoundrel". Both of course were referring to the sort of patriot who wraps themselves in their country's flag as grande gesture or bangs on about gunboat diplomacy when a RIB or two and a slack handful of the boys and girls get nicked by the Iranians - but would no more sign on down at the ACIO than fly in the air!

Better by far are those patriots who opine "Breathes there a man, with soul so dead, who never to himself hath said this is my own, my native land" (Scott) or, perhaps as she spoke with some conviction and right to hold this opinion, Edith Cavell's "Patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone."
  9. Leith is indeed a fine place to hail from; and DHL is a "good second-class" writer, and more people might now read him, now that Leith's quoted one of his more dramatic remarks - but I still think Sam Leith's piece is very poor fare for a national to print.
  10. Pride in one's country is nonsense ? Baloney. Even the hapless France have pride in their country. The fact that the english speaking world is doing the heavy lifting in the world should not be overlooked.