OEX Jackal III

OEX Jackal III

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
During Covid I’ve been trying to get the kids out the house as much as possible. Bike rides, walks, den building in the woods, wild swimming, we’ve done it all.

We’ve also been wild camping, a lot.

Now I own a lot of tents. Over the years I’ve managed to gather up some freebies for doing reviews. They’re mostly tiny 1 man coffins for serious mountaineering. In a failed attempt to slowly ease the missus into camping we bought a massive palace with 3 rooms. It’s bigger than flats I’ve lived...

Click here to read the full review.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an OEX Phoxx v. 1.2, which I bought from Go Outdoors for £49.00. If I had hung on a week, I could have bought it in the sale for £39.00. It is a cracking bit of kit, with sufficient room for me and the dog. Mrs H_M doesn't do camping and Master H_M is a bit too small to do an overnight wild camp.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've got an OEX Phoxx v. 1.2, which I bought from Go Outdoors for £49.00. If I had hung on a week, I could have bought it in the sale for £39.00. It is a cracking bit of kit, with sufficient room for me and the dog. Mrs H_M doesn't do camping and Master H_M is a bit too small to do an overnight wild camp.
That’s a steal for 39 quid. Even 49 quid is a bargain.

I’ve got a Hi Gear Soloista which is Pretty much identical in design, just made a bit cheaper. I think it was only about 20 quid. I bought it as a spare a few years back for when mates want to come and hit the hills with me.

Can’t really go wrong at the price.
BD9FB552-11D0-4451-B0ED-71D43047BE7B.jpeg

Go Outdoors are also selling a tent accessories pack for a fiver; some spare guy rope, a rubber mallet, a tent peg extractor and half-a-dozen right-angled stainless steel tent pegs. That's gone into my wildcamping kit too.

Last edited:
During Covid I’ve been trying to get the kids out the house as much as possible. Bike rides, walks, den building in the woods, wild swimming, we’ve done it all.

Now I own a lot of tents. Over the years I’ve managed to gather up some freebies for doing reviews. They’re mostly tiny 1 man coffins for serious mountaineering. In a failed attempt to slowly ease the missus into camping we bought a massive palace with 3 rooms. It’s bigger than flats I’ve lived...

I popped into Go Outdoors to have a look at the Oex, it’s original price was I note £220 so quite a reduction.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I popped into Go Outdoors to have a look at the Oex, it’s original price was I note £220 so quite a reduction.
Yep, to be taken with a pinch of salt though. Go Outdoors and other discount retailers are fairly notorious for upping the price on something for the first hour it’s on sale and then putting it out at the real price with a hefty “discount” so people think they are getting a good deal.

Mountain Warehouse pull the same scam with all their kit.

Still a massive bargain though.

Yep, to be taken with a pinch of salt though. Go Outdoors and other discount retailers are fairly notorious for upping the price on something for the first hour it’s on sale and then putting it out at the real price with a hefty “discount” so people think they are getting a good deal.

Not-So-Little-Miss H_M needed a new sleeping bag and self-inflating rollmat for Explorer Scouts and DofE. I got both for her in Go Outdoors last week - the Vango 2/3 season sleeping bag was reduced to £25 from £40 and the Vango self-inflating rollmat was reduced to £28 from £35. Seeing as I had just spent a similar amount on something for Master H_M, I didn't feel to bad about it. ;)

Fair point. Looks like a good tent anyway at £89 as you say .

TBH, I was looking at bigger tents. We got a 5 person Outwell tent but I was tempted to see if there were any inflatable ones at a decent price. I like the thought of just pumping them up rather than fiddling with poles, and some now have black out sleeping areas which seems a good idea. But I'm not sure I can justify it given ours is only a few years old.

It's online at £119 so half price allegedly...

ETA: that's the Coyote III...

Last edited:

Morning @Ravers,
My bold. Which ones, have you reviewed them here or other places and are any up for sale? If so, baggsie 1st dibs:).

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
Go Outdoors are also selling a tent accessories pack for a fiver; some spare guy rope, a rubber mallet, a tent peg extractor and half-a-dozen right-angled stainless steel tent pegs. That's gone into my wildcamping kit too.
I like to cut the weight and volume down as much as possible for wildcamping, so personally I'd swap the stainless steel pegs that came with the tent for aluminium.

Not-So-Little-Miss H_M needed a new sleeping bag and self-inflating rollmat for Explorer Scouts and DofE. I got both for her in Go Outdoors last week - the Vango 2/3 season sleeping bag was reduced to £25 from £40 and the Vango self-inflating rollmat was reduced to £28 from £35. Seeing as I had just spent a similar amount on something for Master H_M, I didn't feel to bad about it. ;)
and if you are serving, or previously served, you can get an extra 10% armed forces discount off their discount card price too .... https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/armed-forces

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fair point. Looks like a good tent anyway at £89 as you say .

TBH, I was looking at bigger tents. We got a 5 person Outwell tent but I was tempted to see if there were any inflatable ones at a decent price. I like the thought of just pumping them up rather than fiddling with poles, and some now have black out sleeping areas which seems a good idea. But I'm not sure I can justify it given ours is only a few years old.
I’m in a similar situation to you. I was thinking about replacing our 8 man palace with an inflatable job but can’t really justify it. It’s only a few years old and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

A mate and his new bird came up here recently with an inflatable one. Can’t remember the make or model but it was a decent (expensive) one.

They only stayed for one night. The thing deflated with them in it and a thoroughly shit time was had.

It also didn’t appear to be that much quicker than normal poles. Took quite sometime to inflate and he wasn’t close enough to his car to use an electric pump.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Morning @Ravers,
My bold. Which ones, have you reviewed them here or other places and are any up for sale? If so, baggsie 1st dibs:).
See my recent review on the Hi Gear Soloista and Jack Wolfskin Gossamer.

Not for sale unfortunately. I like to keep a spare for mates who come up.

Also I’ve wanked in them.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's online at £119 so half price allegedly...

ETA: that's the Coyote III...
I think the price tag on the Jackal was £119 too.

To be honest I got a surprise at the checkout because they hadn’t put the new reduced price of 89 quid on it.

I was fully expecting (and quite happy) to pay £119 for it and then she scanned it and it came up as 89 plus 10% forces discount.

Another good trick at Go Outdoors is to do a quick google of the stuff you’re buying. If you find it cheaper online they’ll beat the price by 10% when you get to the checkout.

That’s in addition to your forces discount too.

TamH70

MIA
See my recent review on the Hi Gear Soloista and Jack Wolfskin Gossamer.

Not for sale unfortunately. I like to keep a spare for mates who come up.

Also I’ve wanked in them.
Given the proclivities of some of the denizens of this site, I'm not sure that that would put everyone off of buying one of them from you. Hard pass from me though.

I had a look at the two-man version of that OEX Jackal, and I have to admit it looks tiddly. And props to @3ToedSloth for the heads-up on the Veterans discount on the Great Outdoors card. I count as one of those.

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
And props to @3ToedSloth for the heads-up on the Veterans discount on the Great Outdoors card. I count as one of those.
In that case it's well worth getting a defence discount card - £5 for 5 years. It'll pay for itself the first time you use it and there's a wide range of available discounts for supermarkets, restaurants, holidays, clothes, etc..

TamH70

MIA
In that case it's well worth getting a defence discount card - £5 for 5 years. It'll pay for itself the first time you use it and there's a wide range of available discounts for supermarkets, restaurants, holidays, clothes, etc..
More good Idea!

Thanks, mate.

May I also suggest blue light card. There are many places that offer a greater discount than the defence discount card. One example being KFC which gives 25% off to blue light holders, as opposed to , I think, just 10% on DD.
Army and veterans qualify for BLC.

Way back in 1976 the chemical company I worked for had a twenty five years on site celebration with an exhibition of end-uses. One of them was an example of the Karrimor tent that Chris Bonnington had recently taken up Everest. I'm having that, said I, and I did, for ages. But it's most entertaining episode was in the hands of one of my lab technicians. He wanted to go to the Riviera with the girl friend of the time and was skint, so I lent it to him. He came back three weeks later looking a lot thinner from the sh*gging and with a tent with a tidemark half way up it. They'd set it up in what turned out to be a dry watercourse and went out for the day. On return the tent, and their kit, was bone dry, along in a scene of devastation.

Mountain Warehouse is 15% off with BLC, as opposed to DD 10%

Latest Threads