ODP recruitment

Discussion in 'Army Professionally Qualified Recruitment' started by chezacoote, Aug 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok so I start my ODP DipHE in September and my aim is to join up as a regular once qualified.

My question for u guys is, should I aim to get some military experience whilst I am training, such as TA or UOTC ? (although as there is no officer entry for ODP the latter is probably not an option).

Also, if I am to join as professionally qualified, can I start the application process while I am still at Uni?

I will be 30 (old bird) once qualified so want to hit the grown running?

Thanks

2. my advice....

don't do anything until you've qualified - you won't have time to do recruit training whilst on the ODP course at BCU. It's not like the usual student doss about. You only get 6 weeks holiday per year, split 2 xmas, 2 easter, 2 late summer. You'll be on clinical placement 80% of the time working 8am-6pm, and even when you're in uni block, lectures are 9am til 4pm mon-fri. Plus dont forget all those assignments/personal study that you need to do. Weekends are the only time you get to do coursework and reading!

p.s... you do know as a qualified ODP you will earn 21-25k in the NHS, but only 14k starting in the Army don't you? Shocking yes i know =|

3. Thank you. Good advice. I am aware of the pay difference and will take my two years training to way up my options. Thanks again