ODP information wanted please

#1
I am going to university in September to train as an ODP, I have always had a passion to go in the armed forces, and to be honest the RN would be my 1st choice espically as my husband is a submariner, but you cant join as a ODP. My question is where do ODPs serve in the Amry? I am not aware of any bases near Faslane but my husband could get a draft to Pompy or Plymouth if there was a base near there.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks
 
#2
sharontheODP,

Army assignments available are MDHU Portsmouth, MDHU Frimley Park, MDHU Northallerton, RCDM Birmingham, 22 Field Hospital (Aldershot), 33 Field Hospital (Gosport), 34 Field Hospital (York), 16 CS Med Regt (Colchester), Duke of Connaught Unit (Belfast), TPMH (Cyprus), 1 CS Med Regt (Germany) & 3 CS Med Regt (Yorkshire).

L
 
#3
Also a post at AMSTC in Strensall

Although 1cs and 3 cs are going to go when IMSB comes in, and ODP will come from DMETA like they do at the moment for other deployments
 
#4
c0kecan said:
Also a post at AMSTC in Strensall

Although 1cs and 3 cs are going to go when IMSB comes in, and ODP will come from DMETA like they do at the moment for other deployments
c0kecan,

I stand corrected about AMSTC however as for the rest; how ill informed you are...

L
 
#5
thats what i had been told what might happen. sorry if im wrong my mistake :p

I was under the impression that those posts were going.
 
#6
Thanks for the information guys, sounds like if my husband can get redrafted down south then it is possible I could be in the area, although clearly this is not certain as needs of the service always come first. But Thanks I didnt know ODPs where so wide spread.

I am really thinking about joining the army, going to do a year of my ODP course and then make moves into the AFCO and spend the next 2 years getting fit because I need to.

Thanks Again
Sharon
 
#7
You can train as an ODP in the Royal Navy. First apply and complete 'Medical Assistant' training then apply for ODP training. I know you can 'cos i've worked with lots of them over the years. :D
 
#8
Thanks for the information RAF nurse, but I ment going in as an ODP (already trained) I am going to university to do it in September, for personal reasons such as our daughter being too young I would rather train in civvie street first rather then go in now. I was told on Run Ration that you cant enter the RN as a fully trained ODP is this still right?

Thanks
Sharon
 
#9
sharontheODP said:
Thanks for the information RAF nurse, but I ment going in as an ODP (already trained) I am going to university to do it in September, for personal reasons such as our daughter being too young I would rather train in civvie street first rather then go in now. I was told on Run Ration that you cant enter the RN as a fully trained ODP is this still right?

Thanks
Sharon
You are correct SharontheODP, ODPs in the RN are Medical Assistants with an ODP ADQUAL and you cannot join to be an ODP (qualified or to train) as the RN do not currently have an ODP Branch.

L
 
#10
Tommy-rot!
Of course you can be an ODP and join the Navy as an MA....but as a 'civ div' qualified ODA/P you must apply and complete Basic Training at HMS Raleigh, then undertake MA training successfully, and then ask to serve as an ODP given that you are already Q-annotated in this speciality.

Look at the pay-related issues for completing ODP training as a civvy (no pay!) versus being paid to train as an MA, then 'transfer' to ODP in the Navy.
 
#11
RAF_Nurse! said:
Tommy-rot!
Of course you can be an ODP and join the Navy as an MA....but as a 'civ div' qualified ODA/P you must apply and complete Basic Training at HMS Raleigh, then undertake MA training successfully, and then ask to serve as an ODP given that you are already Q-annotated in this speciality.

Look at the pay-related issues for completing ODP training as a civvy (no pay!) versus being paid to train as an MA, then 'transfer' to ODP in the Navy.
Glaringly obvious in your on screen personna _RAF NURSE !!!!!
Despite other info previously mauled to near death, :frustrated: as a member of teeny weeny airlines :slow: , you maybe unaware, :help: in the dark blue suit just because you have the odp string to your proffessional bow , doesn't mean you get to twang it. :donut: Being dual hatted ect. needs of the service plays a big part when not in LALA land..... :1:
 
#12
RAF_Nurse! said:
Tommy-rot!
Of course you can be an ODP and join the Navy as an MA....but as a 'civ div' qualified ODA/P you must apply and complete Basic Training at HMS Raleigh, then undertake MA training successfully, and then ask to serve as an ODP given that you are already Q-annotated in this speciality.

Look at the pay-related issues for completing ODP training as a civvy (no pay!) versus being paid to train as an MA, then 'transfer' to ODP in the Navy.
In the Navy ODP is an AdQual, just because you have done the training doesn't mean you will be employed as one. I have just met up with a CPO who did his ODP Trg 3 years ago and hasn't been employed in an operating theatre since. Will los ehis registration soon.
 
#13
took apx 2 years to get on odp course in RN , selection process very tight as so many MA's wanna do it. The powers that be take the pick of the litter(couple of MA's a year) and even as the rest of the posts say theres no guarentee of being a full time ODP after.
The only lot i know with a full time ODP branch are the crabs.
 
#15
RAF_Nurse! said:
Tommy-rot!
Of course you can be an ODP and join the Navy as an MA....but as a 'civ div' qualified ODA/P you must apply and complete Basic Training at HMS Raleigh, then undertake MA training successfully, and then ask to serve as an ODP given that you are already Q-annotated in this speciality.

Look at the pay-related issues for completing ODP training as a civvy (no pay!) versus being paid to train as an MA, then 'transfer' to ODP in the Navy.
RAF_Nurse! You should apply to be a recruiter... actually please dont as we would like people to be given correct advice.
You stick to nursing and let the AHPs stick to what we do...
 
#16
Thanks for the help, going to make my choice in a year, although its very hard as my husband is in the RN (submariner V boats) although it sounds like there is lots of places to be an ODP in the Army so will be speaking at lenght to th AFCO.

Thanks Again
Sharon
 
#17
another option may be to do the ODP training in civi street, alought at the moment very hard to get into. We shortlisted 18 from 70 plus for one place! you will have a job at the end of it all and be able to gain a fair amount of experience then join the TA. just a thought im sure you have thought about...
 
#18
SODA said:
another option may be to do the ODP training in civi street, alought at the moment very hard to get into. We shortlisted 18 from 70 plus for one place! you will have a job at the end of it all and be able to gain a fair amount of experience then join the TA. just a thought im sure you have thought about...
SODA read the first thread, sharontheODP starts at Uni in September.
 
#19
I am going to go to University and complete the ODP course, perhaps get a bit of post reg experience and then apply or apply straight from training. By then my husband should be a leading hand and he will have more options open to him in regard to going down south. Although I have decided if we cant fit my dreams of joining up because he is in the RN then I will have make do with the TA.

We shall see, atleast it gives me a chance to get fit, as I do need this time.

One more thing, just a side issue really I see if you join as a quailified nurse then you start as an acting Corporal - is this the same with ODPs?
The RAF site indicates that you would there. Not that it would effect my choice to join or not, just wondering really.

Thanks for all your help.
Sharon
 
#20
sharontheODP said:
I am going to go to University and complete the ODP course, perhaps get a bit of post reg experience and then apply or apply straight from training. By then my husband should be a leading hand and he will have more options open to him in regard to going down south. Although I have decided if we cant fit my dreams of joining up because he is in the RN then I will have make do with the TA.

We shall see, atleast it gives me a chance to get fit, as I do need this time.

One more thing, just a side issue really I see if you join as a quailified nurse then you start as an acting Corporal - is this the same with ODPs?
The RAF site indicates that you would there. Not that it would effect my choice to join or not, just wondering really.

Thanks for all your help.
Sharon
No. Student ODP's in the RAF pass out of ODP training and are 'made up' to SAC Tech rank (SAC T). They must then complete 3 years as an SAC T, then subject to RAF F6000's being satisfactory, they are promoted to CPL for 3 years, then SGT if, once again, reports etc are acceptable.
 

Latest Threads

Top