Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

ODP in the field?

VarSity

Old Salt
Hi again all.

I have had my first chat at the AFCO and discussed my options and the roles that are available. The recruiter ran me through the Nurse route, but then started talking about being an ODP.

I actually have a friend who does this for the NHS, and it does seem like a job I would be into more than a Nurse (although both have their advantages).

One question I could not get an answer on is this, can ODP’s do field work? Something closer to what CMT’s do, or at least something that gets you mixed in with the infantry to some degree?
Without wanting to sound like a burk I would like a role that involves a bit of action as well as the medical side, because of this the CMT role seems ideal, but im not going to pass up the opportunity for getting an education as well. Can I get the best of all worlds?

Can anyone give me some examples of recent work they have got up to as an ODP?

It seems to me from your posts that you are more interested in the 'field work' aspect of being in the Army. :?

Have you thought about joining the infantry and becoming a team medic?

Don't know why you think being in the field is so good, but it takes all kinds I suppose. Once you've been on a few ops you really begin to appreciate luxury, like beds, running water etc. :wink:

But ODP's are sometimes attached to the IRT (immediate response team), but are more often than not either attached to a field hospital, or to a surgical team, that can be sent out a short notice. It may sound 'sexy' dashing off to save lives, but it's just a lot of hard work usually in miserable conditions, with little rest between various pieces of sh*t hitting the fan.

Edited to add: I don't want to appear negative, but being out with the Infantry in a medical capacity would be the roll of a CMT or a team medic and not an ODP. :twisted:

VarSity said:
One question I could not get an answer on is this, can ODP’s do field work? Something closer to what CMT’s do, or at least something that gets you mixed in with the infantry to some degree?
Without wanting to sound like a burk I would like a role that involves a bit of action as well as the medical side, because of this the CMT role seems ideal, but im not going to pass up the opportunity for getting an education as well. Can I get the best of all worlds?

Can anyone give me some examples of recent work they have got up to as an ODP?

who do you think mans the surgical teams on deployments?

recent work? Iraq, Afghanistan, Sierra Leone, Balkans, if theres a deployment then theres a surgical team, if theres a surgical team then there are ODPs.

Apart from the immeadiate future in the forces think also about when you come out. My other half is a theatre sister and after 25 years hard graft is seeing ODPs comming along some ex forces some just qualified and earning more than her. So as your friend may tell you its a GOOD job worth doing. I have two friends ex forces ODPs they loved it both did active service tours.

Lesleycape said:
It seems to me from your posts that you are more interested in the 'field work' aspect of being in the Army. :?

Have you thought about joining the infantry and becoming a team medic?
Indeed, but I find the educational side of things like ODP very interesting and appealing.
I seem to be in two minds so to what I want.

Lesleycape said:
Don't know why you think being in the field is so good, but it takes all kinds I suppose. Once you've been on a few ops you really begin to appreciate luxury, like beds, running water etc. :wink:
No doubt!

Lesleycape said:
But ODP's are sometimes attached to the IRT (immediate response team), but are more often than not either attached to a field hospital, or to a surgical team, that can be sent out a short notice. It may sound 'sexy' dashing off to save lives, but it's just a lot of hard work usually in miserable conditions, with little rest between various pieces of sh*t hitting the fan.

Edited to add: I don't want to appear negative, but being out with the Infantry in a medical capacity would be the roll of a CMT or a team medic and not an ODP. :twisted:

Excellent thanks for that.

That was more or less what I had assumed, but I thought I would rather sound like a spanner here than in the AFCO. I’ve just managed to spill coffee all over my paperwork so I don’t think they need any more reason to think I am a numpty :oops:

flyinghussar said:
Apart from the immeadiate future in the forces think also about when you come out. My other half is a theatre sister and after 25 years hard graft is seeing ODPs comming along some ex forces some just qualified and earning more than her. So as your friend may tell you its a GOOD job worth doing. I have two friends ex forces ODPs they loved it both did active service tours.

Yes this is also a big part of my decision.

Part of me seems to want to 'buzz and adventure' or seeing some form of combat (in so far as a CMT might).
But another part of me is also trying to look at the bigger picture, hence why I have been encouraged to look into ODP and Nurse.

All of which lends itself to....Nursing!

You think you want to work in an Operating Theatre? Nurses do that (despite sarcasm and put-down's from the old and bold on here!)

You think you want to work 'in the field'?- Do you mean actually in the field or out on Op's? -Living in a ditch or deployed with a field hospital? There is a big difference (respect to Infantry, et al).

Nursing in the Military has its faults, for sure. But it does lend itself to a full and varied career more readily, i believe. ODP's are extremely capable guys and girls, but they can rest assured that they will pretty much only work in Theatre / Resus-type situations / plaster / CSSD- which is not a criticism, they do it well- but what happens in 20+ years when you fancy a job down the local GP's practice to fit around your elderly parent and trips to/from school with your kids, etc?

Food for thought.

I am braced for flak off the Tech's!

ODPs are great.

Working with a good ODP is like having a second brain and another pair of hands. Especially when the shit is hitting the fan.

RAF_Nurse! said:

You think you want to work in an Operating Theatre? Nurses do that (despite sarcasm and put-down's from the old and bold on here!)

You think you want to work 'in the field'?- Do you mean actually in the field or out on Op's? -Living in a ditch or deployed with a field hospital? There is a big difference (respect to Infantry, et al).

Nursing in the Military has its faults, for sure. But it does lend itself to a full and varied career more readily, i believe. ODP's are extremely capable guys and girls, but they can rest assured that they will pretty much only work in Theatre / Resus-type situations / plaster / CSSD- which is not a criticism, they do it well- but what happens in 20+ years when you fancy a job down the local GP's practice to fit around your elderly parent and trips to/from school with your kids, etc?

Food for thought.

well you know what to say to yourself, don't you some of us lives to influence..... :rendeer:

RAF_Nurse! said:
they will pretty much only work in Theatre / Resus-type situations / plaster / CSSD- which is not a criticism, they do it well- but what happens in 20+ years when you fancy a job down the local GP's practice to fit around your elderly parent and trips to/from school with your kids, etc?

why would an ODP want a job at the local GPs? I'm also shocked to hear that in 20 years time I wont be able to take my daughter to school! she will be 22 years old at that point, if she is still at school by then she can drive herself there.
As for my parents in 20 years time, I will be very impressed if they are still around, unless they are just heads in a tank like in Futurama, then I'll be super impressed with technology.

Who knows RAF nurse, in 20 years time you may be a crack addicted rent boy because you were struck off for malpractice! who knows what we will want or where we will be in 20+ years. Live for today and the foreseeable future, if youre that worried about what its going to be like in 20 years, why did you join the forces or even become a nurse?

my oppo is an ODP and currently on herrick i belive he has been pinged for the MERT ..i advised him to stay on heli if he can hear "pinging" on the airframe when it lands :)

RAF_Nurse! said:

Food for thought.

Eats, shoots and leaves.

Apologies FF if a reply was anticipated....i am currently out on Op's (again) and as you know, it can be a trifle difficult getting to a computer!

The comments i made about working in a GP's practice....
I was attempting to outline or demonstrate the diverse range of professional practice areas open to Nurses. The OP is undecided about whether to follow the OTT/ODP avenue or Nursing.

The comment about working in 20 years time....
I guess its a personal thing. For me personally, i do want to exercise some control over my own career. I dont subscribe to the theory that you should only concentrate on the now and the forseeable future.

Futurama is an ace programme, i agree!

I was an Army OTT/ODP for 23 years with a couple of years out of trade here and there seeing how the other half do it, and I left the Army at the end of last year and now I work in Resettlement, who'd have thought that 20 years ago? When I qualified I imagined that it would be the job for life, but things change, ask the countless others on here who have left the AMS and are not doing their 'trade for life' job.

As for 'on ops again', been there done that, enjoyed every minute of it and am currently enjoying not doing it.