Odd question.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by smartascarrots, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was asked the other day if it is possible for an TA officer who resigned from one unit to rejoin a different unit in a different role as an enlisted rank after a gap of several years.

Nobody I've talked to so far seems to know, as it doesn't seem that common. Anyone know?
  2. Yes you can as long as he didn't get MD or leave under a cloud
  3. Ask the Duke.Chances are he will know.
  4. msr

msr LE

Interesting one - to be honest given the chronic shortage of officers, I suspect he will find himself under quite a lot of pressure to hold a commissioned rank.

5. Sorry if this is a stupid question but if there is such a shortage of officers why can't they promote from the ranks?
  6. They can and do, however the individual still has to pass officer selection and go to Sandbags etc...
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Sadly, I have not got a clue about this one, but I feel that msr has probably got it about right.
  8. If he's fit they will probably take him in one capacity or another. If he proves himself competant and enthusiastic he might come under pressure to resume his old rank.
  9. Thanks for the input, anyway, lads. He's a former Engineer who wants to be an infantry soldier - I think it's a case of 'mid-life crisis but can't afford a Porsche'. I know him from TAPOC and he was a good lad then, so I'll see if I can't talk him round.
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Why would he not want to be an infantry officer? All of the best, most handsome, well hung, unbelievably attractive to women types of officer are found in the infantry! :D
  11. Unfortunately for those women, infantry officers are also little bit too 'into' one another :wink:
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

So says a graduate of the Lympstone school of naked wrestling :roll:
  13. Hee hee :D
  14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, but unfortunately for them they work in proximity to handsomer, even more well hung and irresistible to women types of Infantry NCOs. :D

In answer to the original question, yes I knew such a specimen. He had been a Signals officer and after a break away from it, came back as a Rifleman and worked his way up to Cpl.
  15. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Genuine question here (and I know it's going off thread), are we actually any more short of officers than ORs? Surely a Rfn (or Corps equivalent)is of more immediate use, especially with regards to operational deployment, than a Subaltern. Same Rfn can always try for a commission later, no?