Odd question.

#1
I was asked the other day if it is possible for an TA officer who resigned from one unit to rejoin a different unit in a different role as an enlisted rank after a gap of several years.

Nobody I've talked to so far seems to know, as it doesn't seem that common. Anyone know?
 
#4
Interesting one - to be honest given the chronic shortage of officers, I suspect he will find himself under quite a lot of pressure to hold a commissioned rank.

msr
 
#5
Sorry if this is a stupid question but if there is such a shortage of officers why can't they promote from the ranks?
 
#6
They can and do, however the individual still has to pass officer selection and go to Sandbags etc...
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#7
msr said:
Interesting one - to be honest given the chronic shortage of officers, I suspect he will find himself under quite a lot of pressure to hold a commissioned rank.

msr
Sadly, I have not got a clue about this one, but I feel that msr has probably got it about right.
 
#9
Thanks for the input, anyway, lads. He's a former Engineer who wants to be an infantry soldier - I think it's a case of 'mid-life crisis but can't afford a Porsche'. I know him from TAPOC and he was a good lad then, so I'll see if I can't talk him round.
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#10
Why would he not want to be an infantry officer? All of the best, most handsome, well hung, unbelievably attractive to women types of officer are found in the infantry! :D
 
#11
The_Duke said:
Why would he not want to be an infantry officer? All of the best, most handsome, well hung, unbelievably attractive to women types of officer are found in the infantry! :D
Unfortunately for those women, infantry officers are also little bit too 'into' one another :wink:
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
The_Duke said:
Why would he not want to be an infantry officer? All of the best, most handsome, well hung, unbelievably attractive to women types of officer are found in the infantry! :D
Yeah, but unfortunately for them they work in proximity to handsomer, even more well hung and irresistible to women types of Infantry NCOs. :D

In answer to the original question, yes I knew such a specimen. He had been a Signals officer and after a break away from it, came back as a Rifleman and worked his way up to Cpl.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
msr said:
Interesting one - to be honest given the chronic shortage of officers, I suspect he will find himself under quite a lot of pressure to hold a commissioned rank.

msr
Genuine question here (and I know it's going off thread), are we actually any more short of officers than ORs? Surely a Rfn (or Corps equivalent)is of more immediate use, especially with regards to operational deployment, than a Subaltern. Same Rfn can always try for a commission later, no?
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#17
RP578 said:
msr said:
Interesting one - to be honest given the chronic shortage of officers, I suspect he will find himself under quite a lot of pressure to hold a commissioned rank.

msr
Genuine question here (and I know it's going off thread), are we actually any more short of officers than ORs? Surely a Rfn (or Corps equivalent)is of more immediate use, especially with regards to operational deployment, than a Subaltern. Same Rfn can always try for a commission later, no?
Depends on how you view it. One soldier suitable for deployment is an asset. One Pl Comd training up 30 soldiers ready for deployment, even if he does not go himself, provides 30 assets.

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll eat forever.
 
#18
The_Duke said:
RP578 said:
msr said:
Interesting one - to be honest given the chronic shortage of officers, I suspect he will find himself under quite a lot of pressure to hold a commissioned rank.

msr
Genuine question here (and I know it's going off thread), are we actually any more short of officers than ORs? Surely a Rfn (or Corps equivalent)is of more immediate use, especially with regards to operational deployment, than a Subaltern. Same Rfn can always try for a commission later, no?
Depends on how you view it. One soldier suitable for deployment is an asset. One Pl Comd training up 30 soldiers ready for deployment, even if he does not go himself, provides 30 assets.

quote]



yes but once again it depends on the experience discipline and training of the officer concerned and his constraints within the budget and imagination of the training major, who will always have the last word, as to how competent his trained 30 are
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#19
The_Duke,

Point taken. What I'm (clumsily) trying to get at though, is - would a new subaltern really be in a position to train 30 lads for deployment any more than a CSM?

Further - wouldn't it be a better idea (and perhaps you do this to a degree anyway) to encourage PO's to join as Riflemen first, get to know the army and do a tour?
 

The_Duke

LE
Moderator
#20
RP578 said:
The_Duke,

Point taken. What I'm (clumsily) trying to get at though, is - would a new subaltern really be in a position to train 30 lads for deployment any more than a CSM?

Further - wouldn't it be a better idea (and perhaps you do this to a degree anyway) to encourage PO's to join as Riflemen first, get to know the army and do a tour?
Pl Comd and CSM are two different jobs. Each should be able to cover the other, but you would not want a Pl Comd giving a CSM style bollacking, nor would the CSM want to be writing up 20+ CRs etc.

If you are doing Pl Battle drills, in an ideal world you want a trained, keen Pl Comd giving the orders and leading the Pl. The Pl Sgt is doing his bit, and the CSM his. Each role is separate.

Does the Pl Comd train the 30 blokes in isolation? Of course not - but he is an important component of the training.

Should every officer spend time in the ranks and do a tour before commissioning? No. Some benefit from it, others do not.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Army Reserve 17
K The Intelligence Cell 20
petergriffen Weapons, Equipment & Rations 45

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top