odd question?

#1
As the title say's this is a bit odd. I was watching a bit on France 24 news about the UK forces in Afghanistan last night, and I noticed almost all the soldiers had "fighting" knives strapped onto vest/ankles (WWII commando/Para's style)/thighs. I had never noticed Brit's wearing them so much untill now, I'm not sure what unit they were though.

I had only really ever seen that much knifeage in WWII photos/film. Just curious to why it seems to be in vogue again? :?
 
#4
two_of_seven said:
Are you sure they werent bayonets?
No almost 100% sure they were not, some of them had the bayonet frogs ON and a seperate knife.
They had various makes and models I could recognise, cold steel, Boker, CRKT's....
 
S

stevieni22

Guest
#5
Its because the RIP has been done with 11 and 4 Bde, 4 Bde has marines in it its those wierdo's that think they will get close enough to use a fighting knife!
 

MrBane

LE
Moderator
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#7
Once the crops are up above your head, it's not uncommon to 'bump' into them and a knife can be a handy thing to have, however a lot of the lads go totally OTT on the subject. I'm surprised I've not seen anyone with a sword strapped to his back yet. :)
 
#8
MrBane said:
Once the crops are up above your head, it's not uncommon to 'bump' into them and a knife can be a handy thing to have, however a lot of the lads go totally OTT on the subject. I'm surprised I've not seen anyone with a sword strapped to his back yet. :)
Like this....?
 

Attachments

#9
MrBane said:
Once the crops are up above your head, it's not uncommon to 'bump' into them and a knife can be a handy thing to have, however a lot of the lads go totally OTT on the subject. I'm surprised I've not seen anyone with a sword strapped to his back yet. :)
I think a Sam Browne & Sword over the top of Osprey would look very fetching.

Incidentally when was the last time some eccentric officer went into battle with a sword?
 
#10
blonde_guy said:
MrBane said:
Once the crops are up above your head, it's not uncommon to 'bump' into them and a knife can be a handy thing to have, however a lot of the lads go totally OTT on the subject. I'm surprised I've not seen anyone with a sword strapped to his back yet. :)
I think a Sam Browne & Sword over the top of Osprey would look very fetching.

Incidentally when was the last time some eccentric officer went into battle with a sword?
Jack Churchill would be most people's tip in the British context. He was however known as "Mad Jack"...

(see figure extreme right)

 
#12
In reply to the OP, I think what you saw was Marines, not Army
 
S

stevieni22

Guest
#14
Nige said:
Like this fella you mean?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8252974.stm

or maybe this?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2753975.ece

Read some books on Helmand and the green zone, you'll find there is plenty of scope for hand to hand combat.

Try 'Ground Truth' - I have just finished it and the need for knives will become evident.[/quote

Read a book on it? Mate I'm from 2 rifles my Bn had the bloodiest tour to date and I can tell you no Taliban came into close quarters so that the blokes could use fixed swords(yes I'm a rifleman) never mind a fvcking knife you are talking out your arrse.

Swift and Bold

Steve
 
H

Hedphelym

Guest
#15
As already shown, Stevieni22, it does happen. Because you didn't experience it on your tour, doesn't mean others haven't and won't. I've heard many tales of close quarters contact (20-25 metres or less) in which pistols were used, but in that distance that doesn't rule out charging with a bayonet either if you find yourself with an empty magazine. Reference Lt James Adamson for that.
 
#16
stevieni22 said:
Read a book on it? Mate I'm from 2 rifles my Bn had the bloodiest tour to date and I can tell you no Taliban came into close quarters so that the blokes could use fixed swords(yes I'm a rifleman) never mind a fvcking knife you are talking out your arrse.
Oooh, hark at you. Based on 1 whole tour, you are the font of knowledge on the need for bayonets, swords and knives. I take it you are posted to capability branch at Army HQ soon?

As has been plainly stated, there is a requirement to fix bayonets/swords on operations. It happened in Iraq and in Afghanistan, more than once. A fighting knife, while not my particular cup of tea may save a life one day, if it is doing no harm, why not carry it?

Incidentally, prior to D Coy 1 LI deploying on Telic 1, the CSM was very keen to have sharpened swords....
 
S

stevieni22

Guest
#17
Nige said:
stevieni22 said:
Read a book on it? Mate I'm from 2 rifles my Bn had the bloodiest tour to date and I can tell you no Taliban came into close quarters so that the blokes could use fixed swords(yes I'm a rifleman) never mind a fvcking knife you are talking out your arrse.
Oooh, hark at you. Based on 1 whole tour, you are the font of knowledge on the need for bayonets, swords and knives. I take it you are posted to capability branch at Army HQ soon?

As has been plainly stated, there is a requirement to fix bayonets/swords on operations. It happened in Iraq and in Afghanistan, more than once. A fighting knife, while not my particular cup of tea may save a life one day, if it is doing no harm, why not carry it?



Incidentally, prior to D Coy 1 LI deploying on Telic 1, the CSM was very keen to have sharpened swords....
No its based on 13 years experiance, and im such a mong i should bring up in the next Bn trg conf that we should scrap the FSG work and bring Op Entirety in a whole new knife fighting direction, you are obviously all things Inf being a REME lizzard! Get a grip.
 
#18
I'm not the one gobbing off 'mate'. I'm not suggesting that knives are the be all and end all, you are the one getting bent out of shape over this.

I only have 23 years experience of light, mechanised and armoured operations, I have enough experience to know that knives have a use on the battlefield.

Oh, and I'm an ex-REME lizzard that supported infantry for most of his career. I'm now a RAEME goanna :)
 
#19
I listened to some one who just came back describe the reason for a boot knife .Was if he was in a vehicle that rolled over he would need it to cut himself free.Now whether that's an excuse to look ally/prat like or a good idea I don't know
lots of soldiers like big fcuk off knives even if all they do with them is cut string and vandalise hesco with them.
 
#20
woody said:
I listened to some one who just came back describe the reason for a boot knife .Was if he was in a vehicle that rolled over he would need it to cut himself free.Now whether that's an excuse to look ally/prat like or a good idea I don't know
lots of soldiers like big fcuk off knives even if all they do with them is cut string and vandalise hesco with them.
Wait till you try and leave Theatre with your ninja fighting knife. Big crack down on knives going back to UK at moment. OK coming out there, but not going back.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Army Reserve 17
K The Intelligence Cell 20
D Officers 11

Similar threads