Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd noise- what is causing it? (technical question)

OK, I'll bite. This has a full warranty, I won't be paying.

How long was that warranty?
Update: Local garage, which seem to know what they are doing have diagnosed- Wheel Bearing.

Thanks to (mostly) everyone for your input and thoughts.

That you had to take it somewhere else to get a proper diagnosis, instead of being sold a bill of goods and parts you didn't need shows some of the value of that full warranty... whether it pays for that repair, and whatever the cause of that problem was (only 1 worn, something else contributed) will tell more of the extent of it's actual value.

Well, Mercs were good enough for the Wermacht to use them as staff cars.... possibly the yanks get the hump 'cos they didn't steal them along with the V rockets and Werner Von Braun & co. - the Yank car industry is so cutting edge and has the best build quality doesn't it?

What's that? why are the Ford Mustangs so unreliable and have such poor fit & finish compared to the EuroShitbox Fords? -'cos they're built in the home of the automobile y'all! (or at least they were when I closed the door on working in Ford dealerships a couple of years ago).

Ooooh... get you!

All of ours were good enough for your lot to bimble along in and to beat theirs...

CLAs are from Budapest, and we build/built R-Class, M-Class, C-Class, GLE-Class, and GLS-Class in backwater Alabama.

Unreliable Mustangs? I guess that is why more than 10 million of them have been built for 52 continuous years, and about half of them are still on the road. Perhaps that is also why so many other manufactures try to copy them. You know, like the C-Class 2 door coupes which showed up 30 something years ago.

more than 10 million of them have been built for 52 continuous years, and about half of them are still on the road.
In the UK, cars have to undergo (and pass) an annual safety and emissions test. The vast majority of US states don't have such annual tests. Having millions of potential death traps on the road is nothing to brag about.

In the UK, cars have to undergo (and pass) an annual safety and emissions test. The vast majority of US states don't have such annual tests. Having millions of potential death traps on the road is nothing to brag about.

The majority of states do have annual or semi-annual emissions tests for the entire state, or in major metropolitan areas. Safety inspections are more sparse, but it is up to the individual states/communities whether they wish to institute such measures. Every state requires insurance for the operation of motor vehicles.

And in general, you will find a majority of the US that retain older vehicles in operation spend quite a bit on buying, maintenance and modifications to their "fun car" safe, reliable, in their attempt to outperform their buddies & neighbors.

Screenshot_20200124-073429.png

Anyone else thinking that @Anonymous Yank is sounding increasingly like Ljonesy did just before his flounce?

Remember that Fast Show character who would come up the fruit machine or similiar with "hey mate you don't want to do that , you want to do this" offer loads of bone advice and end up looking a tit.
Think I've found the real life version

Last edited:
Well, Mercs were good enough for the Wermacht to use them as staff cars.... possibly the yanks get the hump 'cos they didn't steal them along with the V rockets and Werner Von Braun & co. - the Yank car industry is so cutting edge and has the best build quality doesn't it?

What's that? why are the Ford Mustangs so unreliable and have such poor fit & finish compared to the EuroShitbox Fords? -'cos they're built in the home of the automobile y'all! (or at least they were when I closed the door on working in Ford dealerships a couple of years ago).
I had an American car and it was excellent. It was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was built in Graz in Austria (by Steyr Puch) and had a Mercedes engine, gearbox, etc. No yanks involved, probably why it was good.
Conversely I had an BMW X3 (F25) which was built in the US, and coming from a German built 5 Series, boy you could tell. On the upside I bought it tax free, sold it after 12 months and put the excess into a Subaru Forester.

Latest Threads