Odd little item - from another forum

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Firthy556, Oct 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

This got posted up on OcUK thought someone here may have a clue what it is.

2. I can tell you what it isn't. It is definitely not one of these:

3. It looks like a very strange reflector... :?

Edited for bad keyboard drills.
  4. ID = 1d = 1 penny (old money) !

I would guess that this is a coin issued immediately after the war to complement the BAFSV paper money (vouchers) used by British Forces in Germany after the war, right up to the '60s
  5. Tawahi-50, I think that you may be on the right track with that but, I don't remember any coin in use with BAFV (British Armed Forces Vouchers) in BAOR in the fifties.

May well have been in use earlier though. Someone will know.

Just had a look at a couple that I still have, one is a shilling note and the other a three penny note. You could buy a cheese roll in the NAAFI for thruppence.......amazing innit? :wink:
  6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I believe some of those very same rolls are still in the back of the fridge in several Naafis!
  7. Yes, the BAFSVs went though several issues and I've only heard of them as paper vouchers too; and it's also possible that the token pictured may have been a fore-runner of the BAFSVs, produced even before the war ended-perhaps for use in Expeditionary Force Canteens as the European countries were liberated.

As you'll know, in the late forties, even h'pennies and farthings were still knocking around so I expect that token had some buying power!
  8. yeah right...but getting paid a florin a day..... :D

9. A little more than that BDW....but admittedly not much more. And what would a youngster such as yourself, know of florins? :
    You'll be telling me about tanners and half a nicker next. :D :D
  10. Not at the back, they practise rigourous stock control. They will be crouched at the very front...waiting...just...waiting!
  11. Not seen one before but would also guess at an early 1d token.

I have these but not sure where/when they are from. I imagine shortly after decimalisation (1971) as the lower denomination notes refer to 'new pence'.

Front & Reverse £5 & £1:

Front & Reverse £1, 50p, 10p & 5p

12. Thanks for that k13. Still going in 1971 eh? I had thought that they would have been long gone by then. I certainly was. :wink:
  13. Berlin,I was still using them when I left in 76,along with 2p pieces!