Odd foreign army customs

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Apr 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst living alongside the Portuguese army recently, i noticed a few odd customs. the main two which stuck in the mind were:

1. their complete inability to eat any meal without using a tray.

but more disturbing...

2. many of them sprinkled coffee granules on their cornflakes every morning. sugar, fine. but raw coffee?

so, any other nations got funny little foibles?

2. The Dutch put sugar on their toast. Weirdos.

3. At mess dinners Belgian army officers and SNCOs toast their King with champagne not port!!!!!!

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Rodney2q

4. The Germans shoot ethnic undesirables. Well, maybe that tradition has lapsed, they don't get about as much as they used to.

5. The French surrender at the earliest opportunity.

6. the Americans think it is acceptable to wear sun glasses and chew gum during a rememberance service at a CWWG site in Iraq (even the Iraqis removed there sunglasses and stopped smoking for the service)

7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Not an army, and not strictly foreign, but the RAF like to dress up in uniforms and pretend they're a military organisation. 8O

8. At breakfast the French spread jam on their bread and dunk it in their coffee ... makes my sh!t itch!

:x

9. The Aussie habit of injecting ketchup into meat pies can come as a bit of a surprise.

10. The Dutch eat their chips with mayo

11. French get wine with their rations allegedly

12. The Italians most definetly do, little square boxes of white or red wine.
    Foul muck but you can fit two into each pocket of the old style combat jacket which means by Saturday night you have 40ish boxes which takes the sting out of the taste a bit.

Oh the odd bit? Having an officer standing by the pile of wine boxes to make sure the attached Brits only took 1 box with each meal. Very odd :)

13. Hey i do that!!

14. They certainly used to when I worked with them. Their ration packs also had a packet of Gauloises (untipped) and, usually some form of pate. Not much else, though, which is why they were always trying to swap the vino and cigs for compo.

15. I noticed when I was in Africa some of the forces, I won't dignify them with the word "Army", seem to have "famine" for breakfast, lunch and tea