OCs Snooping On Facebook

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by phil37, Aug 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some officers have an open door policy but very few soldiers have the balls to vent their frustrations to the OC. Understandably, it's more convenient to post negative comments on Facebook and have a general moan. So why do OCs get annoyed with this and, in one recent instance, AGAII a soldier for posting a comment about how poor his top corridor is at MS that resulted in a career foul (not me - I peaked in Basic)?
  2. msr

msr LE

It is a fundamental shift which is going on between the ephemeral conversation and the written word: Those above a certain age will take a written comment as a statement of fact, while those below it see conversations on facebook etc as ephemeral. Your 'friend' has found out the hard way.

3. and it serves him right for making himself 'identifiable'
  4. Well Phil as a fellow Corps man I know that this very thing happened last year at the Bn I was at. It wasn't so much snooping really in this instance. I believe that the COs wife simply googled the Bn name and one of the top searches came back that a lad had set up a fb group slagging off the Bn. I won't debate whether the search should have been acted on but in essence what the lad did was disloyal.
    I don't agree that he should have been agai'd (which I dont think he did) but a decent chat (and not a 1 way one) from a senior to educate him to the error of his ways (and to perhaps show him how to voice his opinions more securely and less publically) seems common sense
  5. Anyone with any sense would ensure that only Facebook friends can read his statuses and therefore render the OC unable to see what was being written.
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Exactly. The administrative action should have been taken for your friend being a mong. The alternative is that he actually added his OC as a friend on FB then gobbed off.

Either doesn't exactly mark him out as bright.
  7. Cow

Cow LE

Don't use Facebook and if you need to rant about the job, don't identify yourself. As said before, guy is a muppet for letting himself be ID'd. What's wrong with using Arrse!?
  8. He found out a harsh lesson in PERSEC. If he is going to whine like a bitch, then he should expect to be treated like a bitch. And as mentioned, the new facebook generation will take posts as gospel. Its the whole 'its not a real relationship til its on facebook' mindset. The Top corridor types have always taken a dim view on bringing the Army/Bn/Corps into negative publicity, and the soldier would certainly have been briefed on our 'grievance' procedure. I guess he learnt the hard way that some things are just the way they are. It may not be right, it may not be wrong, but its what we signed up for to a certain extent....

All that said, I hope the oppotunity for everyone involved to learn something about the 21st centrury didnt go to waste!
  9. It's worth bearing in mind this isn't limited to the armed forces - commercial companies take it seriously too: see here.

It's a really brave or stupid individual who uses a social networking site to have a go at his employer nowadays.

10. msr

msr LE

I would disagree. It's all about perception - he posted electronic chatter and most likely did not see it as any different from chopsing off down the pub.

11. If I had found out anyone in my Platoon had been criticising my leadership skills on a stupid Social Networking site I would have hit them with so many extra guard duties they would have might as well moved out of the block/pad and taken up residence in the cells.

The benefit of giving married soldiers lots of extras is that whilst they are working as a barrier technician doing 4 on 4 off all day and night I could be round their pads giving their wives a good seeing to.
  12. Look! Chavs in the air!

13. Bore off. Your crap attempts at fishing on your pad shagging thread failed miserably and are equally banal here.
  14. Try actually joining the Army before commenting on stuff you know nothing about you dopey airsofting mong
  15. bahaha made me chuckle