Ocelot to replace Snatch

£100m order for 200 vehicles to replace the Land Rovers.

That's a seriously ****ing expensive replacement for a Landie. Can we order the version without mink lined seats?

Had a worrying moment thinking someone had gone mad and ordered an old O-boat to replace Snatch.

£500k a pop and it doesn't look like it has driver's doors to me... Seems a bit expensive.

Not due until next year, just in time for cancellation. Also, I don't know if it's true but the Govt have just ordered a TARDIS so they can hop into the future and see what equipment they have actually issued then come back and order it. Bit of a fairytale, but then so is MoD procurement.:|

It seems a little expensive when you can buy a Cougar 4x4 for $475,000, which is a little bigger than it. Saying that, though, the Cougar is about four times as heavy...

D

Deleted 20555

I remember when myself and quite of a few other ex Sadf Saffers pointed out - oh about five years ago - that mine resistant vehicles were around, on the market and available and would be needed and got pooh poohed about how the MoD knew best and weren't a bunch of incompenent cnuts polishing chairs with their ample arses while men died for no good reason.

Buffel - ugly, cheap and it worked - since even Uganda could afford the damn things I doubt if they were £550k a pop.
Army Guide - Buffel, Mine protected carrier

When the discussion reached the point of experts telling me that one shouldn't strap in because if you hit a mine you wouldn't be "thrown clear" (yeah right) I gave up explaining what should be done.

Edit - Buffel costs £30k apparently - Mine and IED Resistant Vehicles | Think Defence

I'm sure the seemingly high cost is due to the development cost being distributed over a relatively small order - correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't an off the shelf purchase.

MoD being MoD though, the cost won't come down as the orders mount up. And then they'll cancel it anyway.

Could we not have saved a lot of money and spoken nicely with Mr Zuma of South Africa and bought up all their unused & now un-needed Casspirs?

Oops beaten by Deleted 20555; that what comes of trying to combine work & internet.

I may be missing something here, but didn't we used to have a reasonably priced 6x6 troop carrier with a V shaped hull to protect the occuphants against mine blasts back in the day?

[video=youtube;I-a8pkurkUU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-a8pkurkUU&feature=related[/video]

In 2001 the Snatch replacement programme had an ISD of 2008. It was not part of FRES.

Ok, it's going to be a few years late, but what grips my **** is that in the intervening years politicians and senior staffs have persisted with the view that Snatch was fit for purpose in Iraq and AFG. If that is so, why was the replacement endorsed in the late 1990s when it was agreed it was unsuitable for NI?

is this a wind up? "Its wheels work independently of each other; this means it is less of a problem if one falls off as the others would continue to work."

Actually, as with all industrial goods, pricing largely depends on the volume. 500K is not so bad if it does what it says on the box (plus the capability of driving on in case errr; one wheel falls off. priceless!

Regardless of design costs, it seems very expensive. I would have thought £125-£200k each tops should be possible if they order enough of them. When they order vehicles on this scale I wish they would contract out the production to a proper heavy vehicle maker like JCB or DAF at Leyland or one of the bus makers, as companies like that would certainly find a way to get the unit cost down through their current supply chain system.

Telegraph has them up at a million each, though frankly we've spent 800 million on FRES utility and just signed off another 500 milion for FRES scout and don't have a single vehicle to show for it.

When are these things due into service, no doubt by the time they get them they'll be out of date.
The more armour we put on vehicles the bigger roadside IEDs Terry will build.
Borrow a nuke off of Pakistan it would be considerably cheaper, and level the country.

CG