Ocelot to replace Snatch

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Mr_Fingerz, Sep 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. £100m order for 200 vehicles to replace the Land Rovers.

That's a seriously ****ing expensive replacement for a Landie. Can we order the version without mink lined seats?
  3. Had a worrying moment thinking someone had gone mad and ordered an old O-boat to replace Snatch.
  4. 500K a pop - shome mishtake shurely? What's it amoured with, gold?

The RSA had a good line in protected mobility, I bet they didn't cost as much.
  5. £500k a pop and it doesn't look like it has driver's doors to me... Seems a bit expensive.
  6. Not due until next year, just in time for cancellation. Also, I don't know if it's true but the Govt have just ordered a TARDIS so they can hop into the future and see what equipment they have actually issued then come back and order it. Bit of a fairytale, but then so is MoD procurement.:|
  7. It seems a little expensive when you can buy a Cougar 4x4 for $475,000, which is a little bigger than it. Saying that, though, the Cougar is about four times as heavy...
  8. Does the cost account for spare parts,etc for the next 10 years?
  9. John Wayne would have used a bulldozer :)
  10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I remember when myself and quite of a few other ex Sadf Saffers pointed out - oh about five years ago - that mine resistant vehicles were around, on the market and available and would be needed and got pooh poohed about how the MoD knew best and weren't a bunch of incompenent ***** polishing chairs with their ample arses while men died for no good reason.

Buffel - ugly, cheap and it worked - since even Uganda could afford the damn things I doubt if they were £550k a pop.
    Army Guide - Buffel, Mine protected carrier

When the discussion reached the point of experts telling me that one shouldn't strap in because if you hit a mine you wouldn't be "thrown clear" (yeah right) I gave up explaining what should be done.

Edit - Buffel costs £30k apparently - Mine and IED Resistant Vehicles | Think Defence
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I'm sure the seemingly high cost is due to the development cost being distributed over a relatively small order - correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't an off the shelf purchase.

MoD being MoD though, the cost won't come down as the orders mount up. And then they'll cancel it anyway.
  12. Could we not have saved a lot of money and spoken nicely with Mr Zuma of South Africa and bought up all their unused & now un-needed Casspirs?

Oops beaten by Schaden; that what comes of trying to combine work & internet.
  13. I may be missing something here, but didn't we used to have a reasonably priced 6x6 troop carrier with a V shaped hull to protect the occuphants against mine blasts back in the day?

14. In 2001 the Snatch replacement programme had an ISD of 2008. It was not part of FRES.

Ok, it's going to be a few years late, but what grips my **** is that in the intervening years politicians and senior staffs have persisted with the view that Snatch was fit for purpose in Iraq and AFG. If that is so, why was the replacement endorsed in the late 1990s when it was agreed it was unsuitable for NI?