Ocelot is now FOXHOUND

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Gassing_Badgers, Nov 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Good news I think, once the creases have been ironed out maybe, just maybe, we can develop it so it goes some way to replacing the three million different vehicles we have all doing very similar things

This has good export potential as well, on the face of it, a world beater
  2. In terms of current ops, I would see variants of FOXHOUND replacing:
    - Snatch
    - WMIK
    - Jackal
    - Coyote
    - Husky (possibly, assuming it can manage the same payload)

Longer term, I could see it replacing some of the 'B' vehicle fleet - enough perhaps to sustain 1 or 2 Bdes. I think it's becoming clear that OUVS doesn't have the cash to replace every Defender, Wolf, Pinz, RB-44 in the Army with something with a credible level of protection and mobility, and that being the case, my opinion is that we should have enough of these sort of things to equip a likley deployment and buy ourselves a load of Ford F-250 for use in the UK or benign environments.

Edited to add: Amongst others, the Aussies are seriously interested, and as soon as JLTV falls on its arse, I would see this being a very strong contender for their competition.
  3. Looks ugly as hell however.
  4. Yup; but as long as it's IED Resistant!!
  5. What happened to allyness saves lives? ;P
  6. Looks a lot better than its rival from Supacat, now that looked like an armoured postman pat wagon.
  7. L85, 5.56 and Osprey!
  8. Ugly can't be Ally?

9. Ocelot...Foxhound...

Do they play "Metal Gear Solid" or am I a geek?

On-thread: 30 minutes turnaround on mission fits, am I the only one to think this is a tad optimistic?
  10. OK, so I'm not interested in what it looks like, all I want from vehicles our guys use, be it in theatre or at home is that they are safe.

Names, however, Ocelot sounds fast, like Coyote, but then Ocelots are cats and this hasn't got tracks!

As some bloke once wrote ... "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

I would point out that Puma and Jaguar are cats and they are used for aircraft, so perhaps that's the MoD's reason?
  11. WMIK, really?
  12. I would certainly shit myself being on the wrong end of an angry Apache. And Sharpe's lot.
  13. Yep, there are already plans afoot to produce a version with a WMIK-type crew pod. The beauty of the design is that it allows different pods to sit on top of a common vee-hull chassis.

Of course, there will be a debate to be had as to whether it really needs to be 'cut down', and if so whether this is due to situational awareness or 'allyness' arguements!
  14. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)