Obtaining Dental records??

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by The_Buzzard, Feb 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi sorry if this is covered somewhere else or if it's in the right section, I might just be being a numpty, I had some dental work whist based in that hole they call Tidworth in 96-98. Since then I've left the forces and all the dentists haven't a clue what I have in my mouth (no comments please ;) ) One of these "things" has fallen out and I thought it might be worth finding out from my army dental record. I can't see anything on ARSSE or through Google, anyone have any idea where I can start?

  2. Is this you?

  3. Damn how did you find me so quick!!
  4. Manning and records? They may have your med/dental docs?
  5. Data Protection Act 1998
  6. ... is entirely irrelevant, since the OP is the subject of the data and if it exists it would therefore be released to him in response to a subject access request (that means if he asks for it).
  7. Surely any qualified dentist can see, by the way of an x-ray, what work you've had done?
  8. Ask fang farrier.... I imagine he is the expert on these things....
  9. That's half the problem, I've gold plates on the inside of all my teeth, apart from the big ******* at the back so xrays don't do shit, one of these plates has now come off and they can't stick it back on, and keep charging me ££££ each time they try, so I thought I'd do some digging myself and tell them what glue they should be using (that's if I can find the details in the record if I can get the records (if the info is in them at least!))
  10. Goldie Walt
  11. Where's the meat gone of that kebab stick??
  12. No, you've missed the point. I mentioned the DPA because it allows someone to submit a Subject Access Request.
  13. No problem - we agree. Whether I missed the point or you failed to make it (by saying simply 'DPA98' without any explanation) is moot, but it doesn't really matter..
  14. RADC bod here: Your old FMED271 (dental docs) should be archived on leaving service: you can request them if you want them.

    Ministry of Defence | Freedom of Information | How to make an official request under FOI | Requests for Access to Personal Data Held by the Ministry of Defence

    Its difficult to offer any advice without knowing your specifics of your dental situation, but your own dentist will be best placed to give you the professional advice you need. In all honesty I doubt the records will add a great deal to the dentist's understanding; there are a finite number of causes of decementing/failing goldwork, and no doubt he will have tackled goldwork like yours a great many times previously.

    15 years is a reasonable lifespan for a gold restoration and it may be the case that it is approaching replacement time after all those years of hard use in the cookhouse. One analogy I may offer: A 15 year old car driven 3 times a day and parked in a wet place is likely to have a few mechanical problems. Sadly the same is often true of 15 year old dentistry used three times a day and kept in a wet mouth! Replacement of a gold crown on the NHS is Band 3 treatment £200 ish.

    In most cases your best bet to help the dentist out is to keep the teeth clean twice a day with fluoride toothpaste for 2 minutes at a time, eat a healthy diet, and avoid smoking! Boring, I know but simple prevention will go a long way to help avoid future dental expense.

    Hope this is some help.
  15. Fang_Farrier

    Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    Dental records are usually not transferred even amongst civilian dentists.

    Dentists are therefore very used to starting from stratch with new patients.

    Perhaps if you could post a pic of it, would be able to offer an opinion as to what it is. Whilst never having served in Tidworth, I did do some nice and unusual bits of dentistry elsewhere. One of the advantages of being RADC was that if one could clinically justify something, you could get it done, without being bound but such things as NHS regs or patient's ability to pay!