obtain a death certicate

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by carabinier, Jan 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone any idea how to obtain a death certificate for a soldier kiiled in action
    in Burma?

suggestions please, clean ones that is

2. That's a good one! I would recommend asking on the alt.soc.genealogy.britain board (IIRC) rather than here - but I will have a go!

In my opinion, the death would be recorded in the death registers, to which the index is available on-line. So, you need to identify the reference, which you do by working your way through the index. Once you have the reference, you can use the web to order the certificate from the Registrar in St Helens for £7, again IIRC.

I have a current subscription to the death registers, so if you know the date and name, let me know and I will have a look.

Litotes

3. Trooper Arthur Vaughan
    3rd Carabiniers

I'm sorry but my friends no idea what date he was KIA just that it was in Burma with the carbs.

I've seen his name in a regimental mag from 1945 but no details apart from to say KIA.

Many thanks

4. In slow time, Carabinier, in slow time!

And thanks to FMOP who got the right town - Southport. I wasn't aware that the price of the certificate had almost doubled - b******y Government!

Litotes

5. Carabinier,

Please visit www.cwgc.org, type "a vaughan" into the search engine and see if you can spot him. I couldn't but it was a very quick sweep.

You could just try Vaughan (are you sure of the spelling?) in case he was known as "Arthur" but not christened as such (not unusual) and vice versa.

We must exhaust this site before I search the death indices - they are mind-numbingly boring!

Litotes

6. Would this be him?

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/vaughan.htm

TROOPER ARTHUR VAUGHAN
    3rd Carabiniers

[​IMG]

Grandson Robert writes:

"My name is Robert Vaughan and am looking for information regarding my grandfather. His name was Trooper Arthur Vaughan 14380888 he served with the 3rd Carabiniers in Burma. I know he joined in winter in 1942 and was killed 8th May 1944. He was only 19 when he was killed and is buried in the Imphal War Cemetery. Arthur was from Chorley Lancashire. And I'm looking for anyone who served with him or knew of him. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards Robert Vaughan

7. I found 8 matches for you.

1 VAUGHAN, ARTHUR Driver T/l50515 31/05/1940 39 Royal Army Service Corps United Kingdom Plot 2 Row 19 Grave 27. DUNKIRK TOWN CEMETERY
    2 VAUGHAN, ARTHUR Lance Corporal 796213 13/04/1943 34 Royal Berkshire Regiment United Kingdom 7. A. 6. CHITTAGONG WAR CEMETERY
    3 VAUGHAN, ALEXANDER Bombardier 1468063 30/06/1943 22 Royal Artillery United Kingdom 3. B. 11. BEIRUT WAR CEMETERY
    4 VAUGHAN, ARTHUR Trooper 14380888 08/05/1944 19 Royal Armoured Corps United Kingdom 2. B. 5. IMPHAL WAR CEMETERY
    5 VAUGHAN, ALFRED JOHN Private 6018803 27/05/1940 20 Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry United Kingdom Plot 4. Row B. Grave 21. HAZEBROUCK COMMUNAL CEMETERY
    6 VAUGHAN, ALFRED JAMES Trooper 6145672 24/06/1944 26 Reconnaissance Corps, R.A.C. United Kingdom XXIV. B. 18. BAYEUX WAR CEMETERY
    7 VAUGHAN, ARTHUR THOMAS Gunner 5119702 27/10/1942 29 Royal Artillery United Kingdom Panel 72, Column 3. PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL
    8 VAUGHAN, ALFRED WILLIAM Corporal 7946227 25/10/1942 31 Royal Tank Regiment, R.A.C. United Kingdom Column 21. ALAMEIN MEMORIAL

Ah! No 4 on the list.

8. Sorry I was being a bit of a plonker, I didn't fully read your first post.

9. Based on the above information:

CWGC Casualty Details

Name: VAUGHAN, ARTHUR
    Initials: A
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Armoured Corps
    Unit Text: 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales's Dragoon Guards)
    Date of Death: 08/05/1944
    Service No: 14380888
    Additional information: Son of Thomas and Lillian Vaughan, of Chorley, Lancashire; husband of Gwendaline Vaughan.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: 2. B. 5.
    Cemetery: IMPHAL WAR CEMETERY

10. Would the General Register Office even have issued a Death Certificate for a soldier who died overseas? Didn't the GRO only register deaths within the UK?

Anyway the CWGC entry gives the same information as would appear on the death certificate, apart from how the soldier died. Of course that might be the very thing you're trying to discover.

But now you have your relative's date of birth and service number, his direct next of kin can obtain a copy of his service record.

11. Brilliant ,thanks to all for the invaluable help and info.
    I shall pass this on to his grandson and also put it on my site.

Thanks again and regards to all

12. I can only find a charge of £7 for a certificate delivered in slow time (usually 7-10 days). A faster service costs more money, as one might expect!

I can't access the indices from here and will have a look tonight. I think a death certificate must have been issued by somebody, because otherwise how would a widow be able to claim a War Pension etc?

Litotes

13. Litotes, you are correct, the Standard Service online charge is £7, the £11.50 is for postal/fax/postal applications.

The website does make reference to armed forces registration, but not sure if normal registration procedures were applied during WW2. If anyone does know please post the answer.

"If a British citizen or member of the British Armed Forces dies abroad, a death certificate is issued by the relevant authorities in the country concerned. This document is usually acceptable for all official purposes although it may need to be translated into English or Welsh, as appropriate. We are not automatically notified or sent copy certificates. Additionally, the death can often be registered at the request of the deceased family, by the British Consul or High Commission in the country where it happened. If the person was a serving member of the British Armed Forces, his or her commanding officer can also request it. A British Armed Forces registration, as long as it takes place within 12 months, may be made by the Forces Registering Officer."

Very few overseas deaths are registered, normally the local death certificate or a translation thereof suffices for hereditary purposes. If a Consular/High Commission registration is made it is usually upon request of the bank/solicitor dealing with the estate.

Registering an Overseas Death

14. The indices for March to December 1944 show no sign of the death of an Arthur Vaughan aged 19 years.

I think you will have to check with alt.soc.genealogy.britain to see if that is as expected; that is, soldiers who died aboard were not registered under the UK system.

Litotes