Observer: Britain risking defeat in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by eveyoz, Oct 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Britain 'risking defeat in Afghanistan'

Mark Townsend and Peter Beaumont
    Sunday October 22, 2006
    The Observer

Field Marshal Sir Peter Inge, the former head of Britain's armed forces, has broken ranks to launch an attack on the current military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, warning that British forces risk defeat in Afghanistan.
    In one of the strongest interventions in the conduct of the War on Terror, Inge also charged a lack of any 'clear strategy' guiding British operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. . . . . . . . . . . . .

See link above.
  2. So General Inge is attacking the Very Senior Officers who are running the Iraq campaign - or as he considers it, not running the Iraq campaign.

Or is it No 10 which is in charge of strategy????
  3. Wasn't he in charge when the original 30000 troops were sacked back in 91-92?
  4. ..... and military hospitals were closed
  5. Never liked Inge. I always thought he was up his own arrse. Now, it appears that he is up someone elses....
  6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Sven, the chap wears (wore) Prussian Blue, he's a 'crab' (albeit a senior one 8O ). I think the sceptics call airmen Generals but the Brits do not!!! :wink:

(Oh no he's not*** hangs head in shame, wrong person***Just woke up :oops: )
  7. I was going to say - I'm sure he was wearing Khaki when he came to visit me (and the reset of the regiment) whilst he was CoC 1 BR Corps back in the 1980s
  8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I was half asleep and thought I read Air Chief Marshall for some reason 8O. To quickly escape my own idiocy, I recall years ago hearing that the Green Howards where an excellent regiment, and from a brief read it seems that both Inge and Dannat are 'ex' Green Howards...or is it that Yorkshire is as claimed 'God's country'...
  9. As a Yorkshireman (albeit from the Dukes recruiting area rather than the Green Howards) I can only agree - Gods Own Country indeed
  10. Even Leeds?
  11. Even Leeds.

Less sure of Hull, though.
  12. I was never that keen about Keighley
  13. Armed Forces risk failure in every conflict they enter. It is the nature of the beast. The enemy doesnt publish a programme of events, so naturally strategies have to be flexible in order to meet each change they make. I dont think the Senior and Junior Commanders on the ground are doing too bad really!

EH?! Could face or ARE facing? Come to the coal face, Sir. That office colourscheme is blinding you.