Obnubilate

My random desk calendar has produced the latest word which shall be added to my vocabulary (if I can settle on a pronunciation).

obnubilate - verb- to make less visible or unclear; cover with darkness.

A word which may well describe corps activity better than any other I have ever herd....

My random desk calendar has produced the latest word which shall be added to my vocabulary (if I can settle on a pronunciation).

obnubilate - verb- to make less visible or unclear; cover with darkness.

A word which may well describe corps activity better than any other I have ever herd....
I`d say it was more for Houses of Parliament.

Boris has been impressing the journalists in London with his use of the word - eventuate.

Nasty words on my hate list at the moment:

Iconic
Vibrant
Diversity (longstanding loathing for that one...)
"I'm good" etc etc

Boris has been impressing the journalists in London with his use of the word - eventuate.
Didn't think it was a real word until I looked it up. Sort of the opposite of gullible tried looking it up for spelling and found it wasn't in the dictionary.

Obnubliate, same root as Nubian.
Which as any reader of Robert E Howard and the like knows means those of a Gibsonesque appearance so I can see how it came to mean darkness etc.

Yes I know it really means clouds. Leave me alone.

Sometimes it's possible to skim over O'Brian's vocabulary without checking; the atmosphere is enough.

That's my excuse for not knowing that.

Nasty words on my hate list at the moment:

Iconic
Vibrant
Diversity (longstanding loathing for that one...)
"I'm good" etc etc
add to that "Amazin'" pronounced in the adenoidal, cod-Caribbean/Estuary English manner favoured by the likes of Jesse Jay (that may not be how she spells it, but that's how it would look if she used real English names)

I give up...I have spent two days trying to find a witty comment about the word obnubilate without success.

:-(

Rodney2q

No it isn't. It is, however, an anagram of:
Bauble Into
Unable Obit
Nebula Obit
Butane Boil
Albino Tube
Ablution Be
Obtain Blue
Obtain Lube
Boat Nubile
Elation Bub
Toenail Bub
Entail Bubo
Auntie Blob
Auto Nibble

I looked it up earlier, but Auntie Blob didn't approve of such frivolity.

For finding that word, may I offer you my most sincere and heartfelt, contrafibularities.

No it isn't. It is, however, an anagram of:
Boat Nubile
Auntie Blob

As you seem to have plenty of time on your hands, WB, can you construct a sentence for us containing both expressions?

Re the thread, at university in the 80's the word 'denigrate' was banned as it seemed to be related to wartime bombers' dogs' names. You could, however, buy kaffir limes on the campus as long as they were not produced in South Africa.

Well, Auntie Blob could be asked to Obtain Lube for my Albino Tube, but things break down there. And our relationship would too.

I've had time on my hands since asking the Botswana Govt for a work permit. I won't tell you how long ago that was...

Latest Threads