Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Waldorfmuppet, Mar 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My random desk calendar has produced the latest word which shall be added to my vocabulary (if I can settle on a pronunciation).

obnubilate - verb- to make less visible or unclear; cover with darkness.

A word which may well describe corps activity better than any other I have ever herd....
  2. I`d say it was more for Houses of Parliament.
  3. Can't see it myself.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 'Heard' hasn't been a word on your calendar has it?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Boris has been impressing the journalists in London with his use of the word - eventuate.
  6. Nasty words on my hate list at the moment:

Diversity (longstanding loathing for that one...)
    "I'm good" etc etc
  7. Didn't think it was a real word until I looked it up. Sort of the opposite of gullible tried looking it up for spelling and found it wasn't in the dictionary.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Pet Hate at the moment at work - "Bio Break" :pissedoff:
  9. Obnubliate, same root as Nubian.
    Which as any reader of Robert E Howard and the like knows means those of a Gibsonesque appearance so I can see how it came to mean darkness etc.

Yes I know it really means clouds. Leave me alone.
  10. FWIW, obnubilate is used by Patrick O'Brian in The Mauritius Command, IIRC.
  11. Sometimes it's possible to skim over O'Brian's vocabulary without checking; the atmosphere is enough.

That's my excuse for not knowing that.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. add to that "Amazin'" pronounced in the adenoidal, cod-Caribbean/Estuary English manner favoured by the likes of Jesse Jay (that may not be how she spells it, but that's how it would look if she used real English names)
  13. Still would though.
  14. I give up...I have spent two days trying to find a witty comment about the word obnubilate without success.

15. It's an anagram of nibble out