OBL still flapping his gums.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Corporal, Dec 17, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/12/16/bin.laden.tape/index.html

Why isn't this guy dead or in prison? This just grips my poo....

All the time, money and lives we've spent in the "War on Terror", and we can't get the main guy? Living in the mountains like a goat, yet we can't pin point him with all our technology and manpower?

This is , IMHO, the biggest mistake we have made in this whole mess. We should have finished Afganistan and OBL before we opened another can of worms, ie Iraq.

2. IMHO:

Bin Laden is no longer in Afganistan or Pakistan. The wests view that he moved south to the boarder I think is wrong, he would have moved north towards Chetchnya (spelling may be wrong) away from the potential of being caught.

Smoke and mirrors at the time of the events there. he had ample warning after the USA announced the vaunted W O T.

3. Catching OBL requires two things we haven't got - a lot of bayonets to seal off areas and lots of HUMINT to work out which area to seal off.

All the gadgets we're currently using work fine and we'd have found the Secretary of the CPSU in five minutes. However, AQ is not an organisation of the sort we're set up to fight, it's a loose confederation of like minded people who don't need to talk to each other to get the job done. I wouldn't be surprised if OBL's now decided his main job is to stay hidden, produce videos tio wind up the US, and let his oppos get on while he takes the spotlight.

4. Well, personally i have a lrage suspicion that he may be brown bread and that the CIA/ DOD know the fact! 8O

Listen carefully, here is the science...

If they knew he was dead, they wouldnt want to tell anyone as that would remove their no1 reason for receiving so much financial and poltical support in the War on terror.

Also, in afghanistan when the SAS were in country they had more than one chance to capture a target that they had a high belief was OBL (may not have been, but worth trying for). Each time they radioed back to ask for permission to mallet the target, they were prevented from doing it by the american commanders. There may be more than one reason behind this

1. They didnt want him found dead or alive (because of reason above)
    2. They didnt want to let the limeys get their hands on him or the glory for capturing him
    3. They wanted to provide an equal share of the trophy between the 5 services (USAF, Army, Navy, marines and CIA)

Or should i just put on my tinfoil hat??? 8O :?

5. Sounds very much like the American's response to capture Slobodan Milosovic during the Bosnia escapades.

The good old brits had (allegedly) counted the number of tins of beans in his kitchen, but yet the Comd (a septic) wouldn't let the brits go and have a pop.

Sounds like we may eventually see OBL in a courtroom in the Hague, defending himself and having copious lawyers convince some foreign committee he was actually doing us all a favour!!!

If he has bought the farm already, why do we still bother with Afhgan? :roll:

6. The reason I heard was because if he became 'our' prisoner of war, 'we' couldn't hand him over as it would break 'our' duties re HR as the US has the death penalty and he would very likely get it.

Tinfoil hat on and climbing the antenna mast to put up some tinfoil twigs to stop 'the bad men' coming 8O

7. scalieback, that reason could make sense in terms of the Geneva Conventions. Once a combatant is taken prisoner he/she is the unalterable responsibility of the capturing nation, and it becomes very difficult to hand them over to another nation, even without the death penalty angle. As with the Guantanamo detainees, the United States would dispute that he is a 'legal' combatant but if he and his supporters bore arms openly as an organised force and maybe adopted some distinguishing symbol prior to capture, it could have given even the present Attorney General problems. However, it is hard to believe that coalition forces would pass up the chance to neutralise him one way or another... isn't it? Tinfoil hat on :?

8. I'll never understand why the Spams allowed Saddam to be captured alive. There was plenty of scope to be killed in the raid to seize him and nobody would have seriously argued that it was anything other than just one of those things.

Equally I can't believe the conspiracy theorists that state the CIA is manipulating the OBL situation. I seriously doubt their ability to control the situation to achieve that.

9. Well, personally i have a lrage suspicion that he may be brown bread and that the CIA/ DOD know the fact!

Listen carefully, here is the science...

If they knew he was dead, they wouldnt want to tell anyone as that would remove their no1 reason for receiving so much financial and poltical support in the War on terror.

Also, in afghanistan when the SAS were in country they had more than one chance to capture a target that they had a high belief was OBL (may not have been, but worth trying for). Each time they radioed back to ask for permission to mallet the target, they were prevented from doing it by the american commanders. There may be more than one reason behind this

1. They didnt want him found dead or alive (because of reason above)
    2. They didnt want to let the limeys get their hands on him or the glory for capturing him
    3. They wanted to provide an equal share of the trophy between the 5 services (USAF, Army, Navy, marines and CIA)

Or should i just put on my tinfoil hat???

There you go, Agent Smith. Re-printed in green "ink" for added effect... :D

10. Thanks.... But why? :?

agent smith