Objectives for the SofS?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Litotes, May 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's a Bank Holiday and it's wet (what a surprise) and it's NAAFI break! Here's a task to challenge you:

You are Gordon. You have selected your new Secretary of State for Defence from a cast of, well, not that many. Eric Joyce MP, sorry, that just slipped out, I mean he/she, will soon be pounding on the door of No 10, wanting to hear which trough will soon be the recipient of the Ministerial snout.

But it is the way of the world now that he/she must have some objectives to achieve in their first year. What do you think should be the objectives of the next Secretary of State for Defence?

Litotes

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The sole objective of anyone appointed by Brown the Clown will be to keep Brown in office. Everything else can go feck itself. IMHO.

3. Good one Litotes - and a happy May Bank Holiday to everyone on ARRSE.

I see one of the first tasks will be to get on the intray of whoever takes over at the treasury, and give them words of one syllable on what it costs to do properly, what the armed forces are doing now. It maybe useful to take the mess Webley along for this short meeting, wave it around in his face for a few minutes, so that our new chancellor has some perception of what it's like to have his life threatened.

Once agreement has been reached on suitable funding for the armed forces, the afternoon will then be free to catch up with whoever takes over the caravan, to have a similar heart-to-heart regarding Labour's ethical foreign policy, and explain that it is okay to stand up to POTUS.

The evening will be spent at a unit smoker with troops just back from either Iraq or Afghanistan to get a true picture of what is going on out there.

4. Eric Joyce? Dear god, no. He's the one who wanted to take the army to the European Court of Human Rights, now he's going to be in charge?

I want to have a minister who's actually served, but ffs there must be a better choice. Is Joyce really the only Labour MP who's been in?

5. Auld Yin I am in total agreement with you. Does this mean we are just a couple of grumpy old men with a degree of cynicism borne from long military service?

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You may think that, but I could not possibly comment. 8)