Obituaries - a forum for fallen colleagues?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by mephisto, Oct 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please excuse me for asking this, maybe they're hidden away somewhere and I just haven't found them, but what about the possibility of having a forum dedicated to those who have lost their lives?

Somewhere that we could post details of fallen colleauges, both recent and memories of those fallen in the past.

You might think this is a terrible idea and, if so, sorry. :oops: It may be that they just get put into one of the more general forums but, just personally, I'd really like to see a separate forum for this, so that people know where it is and can leave their condolences or comments or even their memories of the said person. Also because those of us who have now left (and possibly even some of us still serving) might not actually realise that someone we know has passed on who we might once have worked with and I, for one, would like the opportunity to add my memories or comments to such a section.

I don't know, maybe it's just me and I'm way off the mark here but I've wondered about it a few times and so thought I'd ask about it.

Thanks.

2. Look at the stickies at the top of the CA (Current Affairs) forum.

3. Yes, I've seen those but that's not really what I meant. Half of those links don't work any more.

But,with reference to the more recent postings and stickies, it seems like people just add everyone's name to an existing list, all in one thread. I'd like something where we can list each person individually and people can remark on that person. It's easier to see and find and easier to spot if someone you know has lost their life.

I was wondering about a forum where threads could be posted with the names of specific people.

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's been suggested before. Good CO wasn't keen on the idea.

Here.

Edit to add: And there's a sticky for mil obituaries in the Military History forum.

5. Oh, ok Sixty, thanks. I thought someone probably didn't like the idea. No problem, it was just a thought.

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I also suggested it before to the Bosses.But what we need to remember as long as we care,the fallen will never be forgotten.

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm coming round to this one. BCO was is in favour and given the results of the poll on the thread Sixty linked to I think I should concede. I'll speak to the mods and if they support it then we will sortly have an extra forum.

8. Chaps

If you find a broken link in one of the Remembrance threads, please let me know and I'll fix it.

Mephisto - I think your idea has a lot going for it.

On the current situation, the purpose of the Book Of Remembrance threads is so that you can easily locate the condolences thread for a particular person. If you then wish to add to that thread with your personal reminiscences, it all builds a better memorial. If you have a look at the threads for WO2 Mick Smith killed in Afghanistan, you'll see what I mean.

Can I make my regular plea for those starting threads to date and add the theatre to the subject line please? It means that if the thread is bumped later by the addition of a further comment, it doesn't look like we have lost someone else.

9. Just out of curiosity how many members, if any, have we lost from the boards?

10. There was a link on ARRSE the other day for a Canadian site listing their fallen. Can anyone point it out to me please?

11. Know of this one, not sure if this is the one you are referring to on arrse.

12. Thats the one. Thank you.

13. Maybe we could call it the "Tony's Legacy" forum.

Im in favour, but why not make it a forum where topics are moved to? Otherwise we run the risk of people not checking it. Id favour a forum, entitled "Book of Remembrance", where all the threads are moved to after they have been in CA for a week-2 weeks.

Prae.

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

As far as I know,we have sadly lost two so far.Simon AKA Sheldrake was shot in Iraq last year while working for a civvie security firm,and 2404Motorman.
    2404Motorman

Shedrake

RIP Lads.

I also posted a link to here;

Afghanistan fallen

Is this the one?
    Regards,
    Spike

15. An obituries forum would be a great idea if done tastefully and not have thousands of cheesy RIPs and dog sh1t poems about rose petals and sticklebricks...

I fear it would look tacky and not have the desired effect.