Obamas first foreign visit - Its to Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by niner_domestic, Feb 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wow....just wow...

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

And O'Bamas reason - apart from their being neighbours, etc.?

Hey, Canada, how's about your changing your mind on pulling out of Afghanistan lock stock and barrel in 2011, and staying to help us and the Brits? We'll even sell you some more cheap Chinooks.

Seriously, the Yanks want the Canadianianians to stay in Afghanistan, but the Canucks will only do so after a deal of begging and fawning from Barack. Even then, it'll probably be a PRT with a small guard force, and no actual Soldiery.

3. Niner-D:

Thanks for posting this. It is interesting to read the Canadian take on this.

I for one am very glad he is going there. He also seems to be bringing the "First Line" of staff with him. General Jones for National Security and Larry Summers for economic issues. Don't underestimate Larry Summers importance. Usually the Sect'y of the Treasury would be the lead but Obama made Summers part of the White House staff so that he could be appointed without Senate confirmation. (FYI, Summers is a bit controversial due to a speech he gave 4 years ago which was widely misquoted or bits taken out of context to portray Summers as anti-woman, would say more but why divert an interesting thread.

As to NAFTA, as an American consumer I think it is great for both countries. In the winter my veggies come from Florida and in the summer from Canada. I don't think the protectionist folk want to exclude Canadian products. I think they are more concerned about Asia in general and China and Japan in particular. Autos and trucks have been crossing the border for years, long before NAFTA. 30 odd years ago I had an Oldsmobile 4-4-2 (HOT car!!) I did not know it was Canadian until I had to check the VIN and saw "Made in Canada" I don't think anyone cares if the Chevy or Jeep is made in Lansing, Detroit, Missasaugua or Brampton. It is just they want the government buying Chevy's and Fords, not Toyota's or Nissans. China now makes everything. If you go to Walmart ( a cheap US dept. store) 90% of the stuff is from China.

Besides, if we get away from NAFTA how will all the kids get decent hockey kit (grin).

On my little area of government a group of state/provincial leaders (NE states/Ontario and Easy get together on a regular basis and all work together well on common problems (except for the Quebecois folk, on the occasions I have sat in on the sessions the QC folk sit by themselves)

I am glad you will be out of town however, I bet security screws up traffic. I have a young friend who is an attending in the Univ of Ottawa medical cenre Emergency Dept. I bet he spends the day looking at that sealed envelope hoping he does not have to open it.

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Defence is one option but a secondary one. A lot more likely to talk about their shared economic interests, primarily oil and the fact that the US imports more oil from them than it does from Saudi.

5. Don't forget OMLT. Most definitely 'soldierly'