Obama would include Guard in JCS

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Pork_Pie, Sep 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Link

Is this just an attempt to win votes?

Can persons familiar with the issues comment further?

2. That makes no sense. When the Army National Guard are "federalized", they are part of the US Army (which already has a chief of staff). When they're not, they are part-time militias serving in their own state under the authority of the governors.
    http://www.arng.army.mil/AboutUs.aspx

3. Politically it does though.

The NG has always been in a pissing contest with the regular Army over fielding and funding; usually coming out second unless they put on a full court press politically.

As an example, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but political pressure made the RA field M1s in a timely manner to NG units in the late 80s/90s.

This gives 'em a leg up on the (political) battle I suppose.

4. It's interesting how the Israelis view Obama. He receives much support
    both from Jewish liberals and arguably the right-wing AIPAC, but his
    middle name bothers Israelis a lot. Also, there are doubts whether he is
    really a Muslim apostate. Here is an article which analyzes Obama's
    similarity to early Zionists:
    http://samsonblinded.org/blog/obama-against-jewishness.htm What do you think of the parallels?

5. I don't dispute this, but would rather the thread stayed reasonably on topic.

Thanks.

6. The Director of the National Guard will be an Air Guard LTG that has been selected for a 4th star. This will give the Guard more clout. The National Guard Empowerment Act of 2008 if enacted will give the Guard a seat at the JCS table thats the only way it will happen, a President just cant make that decision on his own.

7. How are the NG funded? Is it part state, part federal? Are there any limits on their size & role?

Are their relations with the regular Army different from those of the Army Reserve? Could the Army Reserve be expanded to include, e.g. infantry, or is this limited to the NG?

Aren't there also Air & Navy NG? Are they organised in a roughly similar way?

Thanks.

8. It's part state until called up by the President.

Never been in the NG but have been in the RA and Reserves.

NG units seem to vary from state to state, they used to have a rep as an old boys network and stories about weekend drills spent drinking beer used to be common. I think that's all changed substantially in the last decade or two.

Maybe someone from the NG could comment.

9. I was in reserve status so briefly I barely got to learn how to find the coffee machine. I was, however married to a member of Naval Reserve and in my job deal with the Guard regularly. I stand ready to be corrected by a Guard member.

It is my understanding that all Guard drill pay is paid by the Dept of Defense. This includes pay for monthly drills and pay for 2 week training per year. If a Governor activates the Guard for duty (floods, tornadoes, riots etc.) the state pays the members. If, however, the disaster becomes disaster under a Presidential declaration then the state is reimbursed the guards pay, fuel, etc with the federal Stafford Act disaster funds.

One exception is the Civil Suppport Teams (CST). These are small (25 person) teams of full time troops who train about 160 hours per month on Chem/Bio/Nuclear response. They are a very capable bunch of well educaed troops with excellent instruments, tools and equipment. I do not want to discuss their capabilities on the forum but as one example there is a First Sgt on the team in my state has both a BS in Nursing and a MS in microbiology. A very sharp young lady.

The CST members are paid full actve duty pay by DoD and DoD pays for all the equipment, vehicles etc. There is at least one CST in each state and I believe the larger states have more than one. They technically deploy on order of the Governor but can deploy on a realistic threat and get formal OK later. My office phone and cell phone have the numbers of the CST and the cell of the CST's CO preprogrammed although I hope I never really need to call them. As someone who works in public safety I find the presence of a team in my state very reassuring. One call and a team of experts would be on the ground in my jurisdiction in an hour or less. It is my understanding that the DoD resents having to pay for about 2500 troops that are under state control. I think the CST's are the best thing DoD has done for the States, cities and towns. If putting the head of the National Guard Bureau on the JCS will keep the CST's going I would support it.

10. 160? Thats full time service? Or did you mean 16?

11. Yep, 160 is what I meant. The Civil Support Teams are NG but full time active duty NG. They get the same pay and benefits as active duty regulars. They are subject to be deployed to combat areas like any other member of the Guard (The young woman mentioned above was in Iraq for a year). Other than deployment overseas they stay in state. The woman described, with her education, could be commissioned in a heartbeat but then she would be regular army and transferred all around the country. As a NCO in the (full time) NG she stays close to husband and kids (other than Iraq)

That is part of why they are so valuable. Fire service have some chem/bio training but also have fire duty, EMS training, fire code training, training on abused kids, training on abused elderly, airbag training etc. All CST do is chem/bio/nuc training. I cannot discuss technical capabilities but I think they are pretty awesome.