Obama Will Not Attend Memorial Day Remembrance at Arlington

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, May 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our President will be taking his Memorial Day "holiday" with his family in Chicago rather than honoring our war dead at the Arlington National Cemetery. While it is true that He will at least visit the local veteran's cemetery near Chicago, IMHO He should have at least made an appearance at the most well known national cemetery where the national remembrance ceremony takes place. In case He has forgotten, we are still involved in 2 wars with dead and wounded still returning from both.

For He who is supposedly so savvy as to symbolism:

[​IMG],

this cannot be inadvertent and is thus even more unforgivable, especially in view of the continuing erosion of respect in America for veterans in general and our war dead in particular. Unlike Remembrance Day in the UK, Memorial Day has become largely just another long weekend for people to barbecue at the beach or lake and His going on holiday as well only contributes to this neglect. He, and most of our political "leaders" do not deserve the sacrifice of our warriors.

Of course as things are in the US nowadays, this has been politicized with each party pointing fingers at each other. Meanwhile, the dead in that hallowed ground of Arlington wait in silence. It is a sad day in American when our Memorial Day is sullied in this way and the dead it commemorates remain the pawns of our politicians even after giving their all.

Excuse me if I sound bitter---but I am.

2. I'm sure you're not surprised. Off hand I don't recall Memorial Day or May 31st being celebrated in either Kenya or Indonesia. It's just another day to them. It's a handy excuse for three day week-end to this knuckle-head. :evil:
    Pay-back is coming though. There will be such a scouring of the Congress in 2010 and the White House in 2012 that will be like nothing ever seen before. :twisted:

[​IMG]

3. JJH I am not surprised that you are bitter. As Chief of the US Armed Forces he really ought to set a better example. This is more than being let down, it is almost a stab in the back.

4. Well I'm sure he has more important things on his mind as he sees it. He's probably too busy preparing his next speech to the Islamic world. Telling them how it's all America's fault that they hate America, followed by working out with Clinton better ways to insult his allies.

5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

yeah the guy is going to be at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetry instead...for those Septics who don't know of the place and need a foreigner to point it out for them, please read below...btw yes we do think you're pretty stupid (that's dumb in septic baby talk) Oh the horror!!! Oh the panty twisting!!!

The Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery lies in the northwestern area of the former Joliet Army Ammunition Plant, approximately 50 miles south of Chicago. Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery is named after the 16th President of the United States and founder of the National Cemeteries. In the midst of the Civil War, on July 17, 1862 President Lincoln's signature enacted the law authorizing the establishment of national cemeteries "... for the soldiers who die in the service of the country." During the Civil War there were 14 national cemeteries opened pursuant of this legislation. President Lincoln's legacy is especially important to the people of Illinois, where he worked and lived. Lincoln is remembered for his successful law practice and elected service as a resident of Illinois. He served as an Illinois State Assemblyman and an Illinois Representative during the 13th Congress, prior to his election as 16th President of the United States. He is buried in the Oak Ridge Cemetery near the State Capital in Springfield, Illinois, where many additional sites of historical interest are located.

Congressman George E. Sangmeister, a veteran of the Korean War, served as a representative and senator in the state of Illinois, 1973-87, and a U.S. Representative from Illinois, 1988-95. He was instrumental in the acquisition of 982 acres from the former Joliet Arsenal and its redevelopment as Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery.

Monument and Memorials
    Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery has a memorial walk that commemorates soldiers of 20th century wars on 11 memorials.

An 18-foot granite obelisk crowned by a bronze eagle with outstretched wings commemorates the 2,403 Americans who died in the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. It was donated by the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association and dedicated May 12, 2001.

The Blue Star Memorial Marker was donated by the District VIII Garden Club of Illinois and dedicated on September 15, 2000. The marker is a tribute to American men and women who have served, are serving, or will serve their country. Its symbolism dates to World War II when families of servicemen and women displayed a square flag decorated with a blue star in their windows to signify that a loved one was in the armed forces.

6. Doesn't seem to be any kind of precedent for a President to be at Arlington - see http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/memorialday.asp

Seems George Bush was 'vacationing' 1990-1992 (during the 1st Gulf War).
    Ronald Reagan attended on 'only' 4 of 8 occasions (OK, once because he was recovering from being shot).
    George W Bush did not attend in 2002 (he was in France commemorating D Day).

Bill Clinton was at Arlington every year of his Presidency.

From the perspective of this side of the Atlantic, it appears much of the criticism levelled against your current President are driven by a certain agenda and reliant on half truths and often outright lies.

7. Why do you dislike that? TBH, to me that looks like a more sincere way to remember.

8. Thank you for kindly keeping it simple for we cretinous (and of course red-necked, racist or otherwise bigoted who dare suggest our current emperor "has no clothes"-metaphorically speaking in case you are already rushing to His propaganda websites for the pre-packaged talking points rebutting His being an emperor) Septics.

Your post underscores my point about the politicizing (and as a result trivializing) the real issue about the Commander on Chief leading by example. If one goes to our Veterans Administration website among others one can find the kind of historical information on each national cemetery and each is equally hallowed ground since our veteran dead are interred there. In case you missed the point I was actually making (and it has nothing to do with race or party), I will explain it in similar simple terms that you (rather immaturely I might add-even granting that this is ARRSE) seem to miss while curiously chide us Septics for been simpletons. Especially in view of the grim reality that we are a nation at war, as to which far too many Americans seem blissfully unaware, there is a critical need for national leadership, both to maintain public support for the daily heroic sacrifices of our (and your I hasten to add) forces and to forcefully demonstrate to the forces His personal and heartfelt support.

As we learn as military leaders, the most powerful way to lead is by personal example (from the front as we Marines put it). We also know that such leadership is highly symbolic (stay with me now--coming to the crux) and good leaders will take opportunities to enhance this aspect by various means including the manner, time and (wait for it...) place. As such, the cemetery at Arlington and the occasion of Memorial day offer just such an opportunity for Him to underscore His real commitment to the forces He is privileged to command (solely by virtue of our belief in the rule of law embodied in our Constitution and not due to anything He has done to "earn" it) by honoring military dead at the cemetery that most Americans associate with the sacrifice of their sons and daughters for the nation.

This is the point--it is not about which cemetery may actually be more "historic" etc. Leadership involves having wisdom about both reality AND perception and it cannot be denied (regardless of all the partisan rationalizing as to which president did or did not go to Arlington in this year or that etc.) that Arlington is regarded as the focal point nationally as the symbol for our military dead. That is where the tombs of our Unknowns are as well as many other memorials that demonstrate this.

As I also tried to point out in my original post that apparently was too complex for some to see, given His demonstrated grasp of the power of symbols, it defies logic to think His "holiday" plans were not carefully planned. If they were not then something is clearly amiss in the White House. In any event, I firmly stand by my view (and it is mine alone as I originated this post) that He should be at Arlington on Memorial Day and that he has chosen not to be speaks volumes about His true appreciation about the military He commands.

9. Are you implying that he is lazy, or that he doesn’t care?

10. He is attending his local cemetery, to me that is rather more poignant than attending the national cemetery. As DBL noted above there isn't a precedent for him to follow.

11. I just dont think he likes Obama.

12. Few do.

13. More seemed to like him than they did the other clowns in the running.

14. He's not on his own since the rose tinted glasses have come off many of those who voted for him.

I don't think that it would be acceptable for our PM to attend his local war memorial on our Remembrance Sunday, he just forgot to bow his head. In view of the currant war situation where he is CIC of the US forces, I would have thought that he would be attending at Arlington.

15. Obama is a leftist, anti-American piece of shit.