Obama unveils new Afghan strategy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by colton, Dec 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Live now on BBC here.

Nothing of any great importance has been said yet, he is just about to go into the main objectives of the Afghan mission and the 30,000 additional troops for 2010.

Will comment more after the speech if anything of interest arises.
  2. I have to agree, he spoke for an awful long time without actually saying anything.

Not his best moment.
  3. Linky Here

4. I was visiting a friend in hospital this morning and he had CNBC on showing the Obama speech.
    After, one of their news commentators stated that on figures given by DoD it costs 1 million $ each, to support a serviceman in Afghanistan.
    No wonder he wants out.
  5. Just as a matter of interest in reviewing the speech word count :

"I"-- 45
  6. The Kenyan usurper said essentially that we're bailing out in July 2011. If Osama lies quiet in his cave until then all will be well. Beats me why Jug Ears couldn't have said that in five minutes. We would have got the important bit out of the way and ABC could have run "A Charlie Brown Christmas" with little interruption. :roll: What a cnut. :evil:
  7. There have been some suggestions that the pre-empting of CB XMAS was not accidental in that there is a scene in the pre-empted part where one of the characters recites the Biblical Christmas story.
  8. You missed the 2 "Finally"...
  9. There is so much to say about His speech but I noted this also:

"And we must make it clear to every man, woman and child around the world who lives under the dark cloud of tyranny that America will speak out on behalf of their human rights, and tend to the light of freedom and justice and opportunity and respect for the dignity of all peoples."

IIRC, neither He nor Mrs. Bill Clinton had much to say to our friends in the People's Republic of China about their continuing repression of their own people. I wonder if that had anything to do with the PRC holding so much of our debt?
  10. ctauch said:
    It is important to remember that his chief economic advisor is Larry Summers, former president of Harvard University. During Larry's watch at Harvard he overrode the advice of the people in charge of Harvards investments and put funds into riskier investments for quick gains. The result: The $38 billion dollar endowment fund lost $11 billion and the $6 Billion dollar cash account lost $1.8 billion. Some would feel that losing almost $13 Billion amounts to serious money.
  11. 'Sorry-the text is such a target-rich environment for commentary. :D

It is also worth noting that although the US media in its role as administration propagandists keeps referring to Gen. McChrystal's request fo 40K troops when the actual context is that 40K was the absolute minimum and the request was actually for 60K. it is also puzzling to read the speech that is laden with hoped-for sound bites and memorable quotes but with precious little substance, why it took so long for Him to make a decision.
  12. Or It not mentioning or recognizing the Dalai Lama.
  13. Good observation. While this amount might mean something to those of us who have to pay it in taxes, I do not think it even rises to the level of "chump change" in the lexicon of our current masters.
  14. An Obscenity, nothing more.

Now I know what the French citizen felt when Petain and Laval were running Vichy.

He gives General McCystal 10k less troops than even in the Low risk category

They wont all arrive and be in place until late 2010

And we start to leave in Mid 2011, 18 months from today.

Terry and AQ now know to lie doggo and in the last months run amok as we are running for the door. It really will look like 1975 again with a Blackhawk on the embassy roof this time as the Hueys are retired.
  15. I get the impression that you lot would not be happy unless he stood up and admitted that he was a bed-wetting, goat-herding communist/fascist Muslim Kenyan, with no more right to be President than Gary Glitter...

So, what would you have liked to have heard him say?