Obama-The Great Reneger

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may already have gone "viral" so if so apologies in advance but it is a great summary of why we should be skeptical of campaign promises in general and of Him in particular.

2. It's even been noted over here that Guantánamo Bay is staying open (although admittedly this is the more or less confined to the conservative periodicals).

Funny how nobody is protesting Guantánamo any more -- I guess it was only a problem, as with so many things, under a Republican administration.
  3. Yes-another example of really "principled" rule.
  4. Ahh, good to see the usual suspects bitiching like six year old girls with grazed knees.

Meanwhile, back in the real world:

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

Promises kept- 119
    Promises in the works- 245
    Promises broken- 19

As for Gitmo:
    PolitiFact | Close the Guantanamo Bay Detention Center - Obama promise No. 177:

5. Funny about how "statistics" can be massaged innit--a bit like the manner in which "facts" are covered by "Politifacts"-- Help PolitiFact Get The Facts Right.

Also funny that you use the school yard analogy. Keep 'em coming as I need some humo(u)r today.
  6. Nice find JJ. The Reneger is a toe-tapping song.

7. They pounce on Limbaugh and Hannity as being bullshit artists, so that makes them unreliable?

How's construction on the bunker coming along?
  8. Already completed. Clearing fields of fire as we "speak."
  9. Ahhhh - I had vaguely heard some mutterings about this and the pronunciation of 'Reneger' but never actually been moved to track it down. Must say that as someone who pronounces the word as 'ree-nay-ger' I can see why there were raised eyebrows - you could, if you wanted, imagine the guy is singing about the 'Great Ree-nig-ger'.

One of those 'tomato'/'tomatoe' things I suppose.

10. I had not considered the phonetic double entendre. Given the seemingly endless fount of substantive issues raised by His fundamental transforming of the evil America and His stumbling and bumbling He provides daily, there is no need for race to enter in.
  11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Guys, it's an "interesting time" that the Chinese always promise you.

Approval or otherwise of POTUS will inevitably be skewed along the usual political, racial and economic lines.

As you know, I'm not a resident of [just a frequent and interested visitor to] the "Land of The Free". The USA got what it voted for. It may not quite be what they expected, and there may be implications down-stream [we got that with "Mr Plausible Blair"].

As for delivery, integrity and all the other bits that folks bitch about ... I have my view, others will have theirs. But I would bet a shiny dollar or two on a one-termer. IMO, he's out of his depth once the rhetoric runs out ... but what do I know? I'm only a Brit.
  12. Interesting stuff under the promises broken:
    No. No. 234: Allow five days of public comment before signing bills
    To reduce bills rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them, Obama "will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days."

No. 240: Tougher rules against revolving door for lobbyists and former officials
    "No political appointees in an Obama-Biden administration will be permitted to work on regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years. And no political appointee will be able to lobby the executive branch after leaving government service during the remainder of the administration."
  13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Am I seeing a few things being by-passed so that Congress doesn't get to play?

Forgive me, as you know I watch Fox.
  14. Oh my-you have done it now old son. INCOMING!
  15. Indeed, and I don't know if what I heard was because I had been told it was there to be heard or because it was what I heard - if that makes sense.