Obama - The first 100 days

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Biscuits_Brown, Jan 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am I missing something?

From some of the other boards I use it appears that people here in the UK have been given half days from work to go and 'witness history'. The news channels are virtually constant live from Washington. And there's naff all else being talked about on the 'chattering shows'. By contrast I get RTE here and while they mention it on the news, that appears to be the limit of the Irish interest in the new US President.

Is it really that interesting, earth shattering or important to us in Britain?

Because I'm really failing to see what the hoopla is.
  2. Don't know about 'making history' but what was Aretha Franklin screeching on about? That made me cringe.
  3. Your comments remind me of the time I was watching Saddam's statue being pulled down and the she-who-must-be-obeyed at the time INSISTED that I stop what I was doing and go out to buy some chicken for dinner. :D
  4. Anticipation of a forlorn hope, perhaps. Anyone fancy opening a book on how long it takes before reality sinks in and the new POTUS' honeymoon period deflates in a cloud of sh1t & feathers when it becomes apparent that Mr Obama has no more effective answers to the current woes of the world than any other politician does?
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well, that's B H Obama sworn in. Do you think it will be 4 years before the next inauguration?

Snipers - READY!

p.s. Agree Aretha was shoite.
  6. The crowd Booed Bush when he appeared on the podium, they started booing when the crowd could see him on the screens walking down the corridor!

Cant help feeling that the extreme right will take every opportunity to drill holes through tne new President
  7. Its on in my office too for some reason i cant fathom i am referring to him as the first half white POTUS and i think when his honeymoon period is over and the servile press go back to thier old selves some serious shortcomings will be exposed
  8. I'm nearly as sick of this inauguration carry on as I was the election coverage.

I'll bet the people let off home to watch it (????????) are civil servant, social worker,teacher types.
  9. Remember that Kennedy is only great because he was killed before he could fck anything else up!
  10. I watched some of it in the vain hope I would get to see an assasination live.
    Sadly nothing seemed to be happening on that front so I went back to watching the Discovery Channel
  11. He is now praising the military it is a nice gesture for the troops before the 60's radicals he associates with start to influence policy
  12. I'm guess that as the BBC sent Hue and not Kate Adie they aren't expecting someone to take a shot at him or a riot to brake out
  13. Its the longest and most lucid speech by a US President for 8 years. Bush would have run out of words 3 minutes after starting it.
  14. I'm sat in a pub drinking beer and listening to Ska............which I'm sure is far more intresting
  15. Agreed - he speaks well, so did TB.