Obama snubs Brown for Bliar!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...-Obama-snubs-Gordon-Brown-for-Tony-Blair.html

Mr Obama will fly into Britain on Friday for a meeting at his London hotel with Mr Blair to discuss the Middle East and climate change.

He will meet Mr Brown the following day at Downing Street but has declined to take part in a televised press conference with the Prime Minister.

He will appear instead on the steps of Downing Street with Mr Brown to answer a few questions. He will then meet David Cameron the Tory leader.

The Democratic presidential candidate has given priority to Mr Blair, who he is expected to have breakfast or dinner with, because he is still enormously popular in the United States. Mr Brown, by contrast, is barely known across the Atlantic.

The six-nation tour by Mr Obama has enjoyed saturation coverage in the American media.

Mr Obama's advisers calculated that photographs and television footage breaking bread with Mr Blair would play much better back home than with the Prime Minister.

Officially Downing Street maintains that they are relaxed about the Democratic senator's schedule. But privately they are dismayed that Mr Blair has upstaged his successor.

Mr Brown was hoping to extract some political benefit by being seen side by side with one of the most charismatic politicians on the world stage. In Israel Mr Obama enjoyed the sort of adulation normally given to rock stars.
Poor old Gordo must be devastated. :D

Ha! After waiting and brooding for so long to become Prime Minister, a post that he felt was rightlyfully his but denied him, being upstaged by Blair of all people must have had got the mobile phones flying about and going practically ballistic. :)

One bit did puzzle me though,

Mr Brown was hoping to extract some political benefit by being seen side by side with one of the most charismatic politicians on the world stage.
Why the hell would his PR people think this was a good idea? Wouldn't it just make already well known lack panache and charisma even more glaringly obvious when stood next to the candidate for whom those are his main attractions? His PR people really have lost the plot.

Bliar enormously popular in the States? Good job they didnt do a popularity survey this side of the water methinks.

Hardly surprising, as Obama strikes me as simply the American version of Blair; all style and no substance.

His ghastly harriden of a wife is only a slightly less ugly version of the Wicked Witch.

Must admit I have reservations about ol Roots Revisionist Obama, but somebody in his organisation has got his head screwed on, keep well clear of "he who cocks everything up" Broon

Methinks this Presidential election will turn out a helluva lot closer than many, esp media types/ BBC, seem to imagine.

Can't think what Obama's playing at - the sight of hundreds of thousands of Germans cheering his every stylishly expressed vacuity is going to impress the hell out of the average voter in the American heartland!!

Obviously, the intention is to portray Obama as a man of substance on the international stage, but I just have a feeling this could blow back in his face - big time.

Don't be surprised come November when we see puzzled expressions on the faces of BBC commentators as "their man" joins the long list of "Greatest Democrat Presidents we never had"!

So 200,000 Europeans turn up to see Mr Obama? I wonder how many Americans wouyld turn up to see a speech in Washington by 'Dave' Cameron?

tonto108 said:
Must admit I have reservations about ol Roots Revisionist Obama, but somebody in his organisation has got his head screwed on, keep well clear of "he who cocks everything up" Broon
Where as Bliar got everything right?

stacker1 said:
tonto108 said:
Where as Bliar got everything right?
The only thing he got right was to cut and run before the faeces hit the air con :x

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
The fact that Obama is meeting either of them makes me think he's a cnut too.

Appeared to be a bit longer than a few minutes on the steps, watching the news. Strolling round the gardens at Number 10, tea and cakes, going out to Horse Guards - and it didn't show the meeting which lasted two hours.

Looks like the Telegraph got it wrong this time.

FABLONBIFFCHIT said:
Bliar enormously popular in the States? Good job they didnt do a popularity survey this side of the water methinks.
I think what they mean by "enormously popular" is that he's one of the few British people that lazy American TV journalists know the name of.

AndyPipkin said:
So 200,000 Europeans turn up to see Mr Obama? I wonder how many Americans wouyld turn up to see a speech in Washington by 'Dave' Cameron?
Only if he brings coffee and donuts.

FrankCastle said:
Hardly surprising, as Obama strikes me as simply the American version of Blair; all style and no substance.
The feeling nausea I get when I hear BO is not unconnected with a decade of being gushed at by Mr Tony.