Obama- First Pronouncement - National Day of Guilt

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Hootch, Jan 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And so it starts - spin, spin spin and no real action.

Is Tony Blair really in the middle east???

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/a_national_day_of_renewal_and_reconciliation/

NATIONAL DAY OF RENEWAL AND RECONCILIATION, 2009

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

As I take the sacred oath of the highest office in the land, I am humbled by the responsibility placed upon my shoulders, renewed by the courage and decency of the American people, and fortified by my faith in an awesome God.

We are in the midst of a season of trial. Our Nation is being tested, and our people know great uncertainty. Yet the story of America is one of renewal in the face of adversity, reconciliation in a time of discord, and we know that there is a purpose for everything under heaven.

On this Inauguration Day, we are reminded that we are heirs to over two centuries of American democracy, and that this legacy is not simply a birthright -- it is a glorious burden. Now it falls to us to come together as a people to carry it forward once more.

So in the words of President Abraham Lincoln, let us remember that: "The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 20, 2009, a National Day of Renewal and Reconciliation, and call upon all of our citizens to serve one another and the common purpose of remaking this Nation for our new century.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twentieth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.

2. WTF is that about? Is he setting up some sort of new national holiday? Don't make no sense!

3. OK, so he keeps proving he can talk the talk. When does he start walking the walk?

4. According to the BBC yesterday, he can walk on water anyway... :roll:

5. Bush 'heard' voices telling him to fight the good fight. Look where that got us?

The new bloke seems to be another with a direct line + better line in oratory. That could lead to trouble. Maybe we can sell them the There is probably No God buses.

6. I even checked the link

It is a joke isn't it

A WAAAAH - its not the first time I confess. Please tell me its a WAH

I've had a bad day - found it more scary than funny. Someone reassure me

Please don't let it be true

7. Watch for Al Sharpton to be installed as Secretary of RE education and Jesse Jackson as Minister of Guilt-Reminding. What a mook!

8. I wonder if he's going to declare a James Brown day?

9. Under Obamas regime, it will have to be James African American day. They are not alowed to be referred to as Brown anymore

10. No one seems to have picked up on the similarities of this election and the background plot of "Blazing Saddles" - wonder if Mel Brookes is working behind the scenes somewhere !!!!!

11. He wants to be like President Abraham Lincoln so mutch did Lincon not get taken out in a theatre

12. The rape of the USA begins.......next week the offical language of the USA will be changed to Spanish...they're doomed....

13. It's one of those meaningless proclamations that politicians like to give out to remember special occasions such as recognizing the winner of the "American Idol" competition. :roll: I don't believe it is a step towards creating a new National Holiday. :wink: We already have Martin Luther King's birthday as a Federal holiday in January for which the civil servants get a day off with pay. We don't need another bogus holiday that the civil servants will take off with pay. Lord knows we get little enough value for our taxes from that lot as it is. :lol:

14. The sheriff's a what?

15. Excuse me while I whip this out! :twisted: