Obama. Am I the only one whos sick of hearing about the **?

KevinB said:
theblindking said:
So are you an American citizen or not Kevin?
No.
Boris Johnson is an American citizen - he was born in New York.

His gig as mayor of London is up in 2012.

Curiously enough, that's the same time as the next US presidential election.

Now there's something to think about. President Johnson.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
KevinB said:
Ruckerwocman said:
So like I said before why would a boyo from Ireland who is not a US citizen care about who is elected to be president?

That's nice you worked with the Obama campaign as a grass roots organizer and envelope stuffer. There's no law against that. I just hope you didn't try to cast your ballot for His Holiness the Dope on November the 4th as that would be illegal. :roll: ...
Because Rucker, on and off, I've lived in the US for some time and have come to admire her and her people and to take great interest in her politics. :wink:
Are you on the run from something you did back in the old country?

All the hype will be a rod for Obama's back before long
All the hype in the world won't save him once it's proved that he can't actually do much about the econemy or Iraq desends into chaos if he pulls the troops out

2 years they'll be praying for some one to shoot him ala Lincoln

Sorry if this repeats something, but it's getting late and I only got as far as page 5. What bothers me most is the way he so obviously takes himself very, very very seriously. Somebody mentioned exactly what I was thinking the other day when he got elected. Remember the wankfest when Tony got in first time. No matter whether this bloke can play spirituals on a jug, the strings on the arms and legs lead to the same place as they did with Monkeyboy. I feel a bit sorry for him really. He has only two alternatives for the future: degenerate down to the usual level..... or get clipped.,

Ancient_Mariner said:
KevinB said:
theblindking said:
So are you an American citizen or not Kevin?
No.
Boris Johnson is an American citizen - he was born in New York.

His gig as mayor of London is up in 2012.

Curiously enough, that's the same time as the next US presidential election.

Now there's something to think about. President Johnson.
Now I could get behind a President Johnson! We have had two so far. Andrew escaped impeachment in the Senate by one vote because he wasn't tough enough on the South during Reconstruction and Lyndon was hounded out of office by the people and the media for unsuccessfully fighting an unpopular war in South Vietnam. :p :p

Sure we really need another President Johnson. :roll: :wink:

scrofula said:
Sorry if this repeats something, but it's getting late and I only got as far as page 5. What bothers me most is the way he so obviously takes himself very, very very seriously. Somebody mentioned exactly what I was thinking the other day when he got elected. Remember the wankfest when Tony got in first time. No matter whether this bloke can play spirituals on a jug, the strings on the arms and legs lead to the same place as they did with Monkeyboy. I feel a bit sorry for him really. He has only two alternatives for the future: degenerate down to the usual level..... or get clipped.,
Agreed Scrofula;why the hype over the election of another corporate stooge?Could it be to keep the fact that mere 'Presidents' and 'Prime ministers'are only servants of the business community first and foremost hidden?

This geezer is the best "Keep the plebs happy at the very moment we're nicking their dosh" that could ever have been thought of, short of getting one of the laughing people ha ha of colour off film or tv to pick up the torch. Lets have, as I said before, a total wankfest, make people dilerious, and while they are reeling, having already stolen everything, we'll nick the lino too.

scrofula said:
This geezer is the best "Keep the plebs happy at the very moment we're nicking their dosh" that could ever have been thought of, short of getting one of the laughing people ha ha of colour off film or tv to pick up the torch. Lets have, as I said before, a total wankfest, make people dilerious, and while they are reeling, having already stolen everything, we'll nick the lino too.
So far, I quite like what I am seeing and hearing from Obama. Time will tell though, I remember feeling something similar about Tony Blair but that didn't turn out too well.

Strange but true fact about real life. Most people I've started out meeting and found ok or intermediate, fade away. Quite alot of the ones I have had conflict, nay, hatred with at the beginning, end up being the best friends. Not planned, it's the way it goes. Never trust love at first sight, eh!

Blair is an actor. A very good one but he could have joined any party or stayed in his band, doesn't matter. (It's known he was a pretty crap barrister, where you need brains as well as acting ability).

Obama is a thinker. After the last one, I don't a problem with that. But whether he can stay alive in the face of ingrained lunacy and his recent decisions to upset big business by undoing as many as possible of the laws Bush signed off in his final days is another matter. :roll:

It's interesting that he has decided on Gitmo to make his entrance with. Whereas this should enhance his status with the rest of the world I should imagine that it wont particularly go down well with the majority of the US people who seem more in favour of gunboat diplomacy (especially in the Southern States) than humanity.
I should imagine that his actions will be well accepted by black voters as they will understand the issues at play and will be able to empathise with the detainees.
You don't establish a moral highground by practising torture or setting up concentration camps to detain people indefinitely without trial. Obama is obviously looking to be perceived as a much more humanitarian president, who can be firm but seen to be fair as well. WTC has gone and the initial upsurge of feelings are starting to abate (I'm not saying the events are forgotten, just that the intensity of feeling, that demanded the wounded US lash out at it's enemies, has started to rationalise its response). Public support continues to be high for the Military but how much support for the actual operations will there be now that the leader is perceived as a less decisive, hit them hard and hurt them, type of leader. If the public begin to perceive that their troops are just out there soaking up incoming whilst trying to retain a status quo without much affirmative action to take the battle to the insurgents then support may begin to dwindle.
Obama may be keen to take the moral highground and fight 'fair' but he will still need to fight hard, accept collateral damage, and take the fight to the enemy as well as sort out all the horrendous financial problems he is faced with at home, no easy job for any man and not one that can be done with spin, he must lead his nation by the hand and by kicking its arrse as well when necessary.

My jury's out at the moment as to how good a president Obama will be; time will tell, I suppose. What does piss me off and make me cringe is the BBC's constant Obama wnakfest; half the fcuking website's raving about the bugger. The septics don't cover our elections (on the rare occasions our leaders are elected these days :roll: ) in anything like the same detail, and is it too much to ask for a public service broadcaster paid for by what is effectively a tax (and a very unpleasantly-collected one at that) at least makes some pretence of remaining neutral? :x

Bravo_Zulu said:
My jury's out at the moment as to how good a president Obama will be; time will tell, I suppose. What does piss me off and make me cringe is the BBC's constant Obama wnakfest; half the fcuking website's raving about the bugger. The septics don't cover our elections (on the rare occasions our leaders are elected these days :roll: ) in anything like the same detail, and is it too much to ask for a public service broadcaster paid for by what is effectively a tax (and a very unpleasantly-collected one at that) at least makes some pretence of remaining neutral? :x
Well said! But in an age when nobody takes responsibility for there actions anymore, Iraq, child services, the recession etc etc. It will all be somebody else's fault when he falls flat on his face!

Sure fire way to judge any politician.

Don't ever WATCH their speeches. Listen only.

Then tell me whether you think they can do what they say they will.

The camera paints a rosy picture of any liar politician ... but if you listen you have a better chance of THINKING for yourself and not get mesmerized or seduced by camera shots.

My tuppence worth ...

IG

IvyGrad said:

The camera paints a rosy picture of any liar politician ... but if you listen you have a better chance of THINKING for yourself and not get mesmerized or seduced by camera shots.

My tuppence worth ...

IG
That's quite true. During the 1960 election Kennedy and Nixon went through a series of public debates that were broadcast on television and radio. People who were polled after the debates said Nixon won if they had only listened to the debate on radio. People who watched the debates on television thought Kennedy had won. Style over substance.

My 3 cents.

Ruckerwocman said:
IvyGrad said:

My tuppence worth ...

IG
That's quite true. During the 1960 election Kennedy and Nixon went through a series of public debates that were broadcast on television and radio. People who were polled after the debates said Nixon won if they had only listened to the debate on radio. People who watched the debates on television thought Kennedy had won. Style over substance.

My 3 cents.
Bush had neither.
He fumbled and mumbled his way through speeches, press conferences etc., dragged the US into an unnecessary and costly war, did nothing to reform health care, did nothing to stop the outsourcing of US jobs, did nothing to avert the financial crisis that began in his second term.

He did issue hundreds of signing statements - which had the effect of altering the meaning of laws enacted by Congress, his admin used warrantless wiretapping and countless other transgressions that went against the Constitiution.

KevinB said:
.....pointless crap spouted by SF/IRA cunt
Not got cancer yet ?