Oatmeal block

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by dogs_bollox, Jun 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody know of a source for the oatmeal blocks that used to be included in the rations long ago ? The tins from the 10 man rat' packs would be perfect ! I'm happy to eat out of date food :D I'm having a nostalgia moment :roll:

D_B

2. They still are...if you mean the round flat thing in the green packet.

3. Then there's hope !! :D :D :D
    Not having been Green in over 20 years and having been out of the country a lot and had no military contact since, I'd assumed that, as the best item in the pack, they would have been substituted for something far less popular. That's how H.M.Govt works isn't it ? :wink:

Anyone know the makers of said block, oatmeal ?

Thanks for website Jarrod. I never thought that someone would do a website all about rat' packs ! 8O

D_B

4. send me your address, I'll give you some.

*starts digging down into the bottom of my burgan*

5. Came across them in Tesco once, big packet by a Mcvitties not seen since. You can add cheese or condesned milk in a tube or jam, thanks to your local supermarket. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

6. mate, try this company, westler foods they actually make the ration pack meals that are on issue.

http://www.westlerfoods.com/miltaryrations/index.php

Henry Breese
    Managing Director
    Westler Foods
    Amotherby
    Malton
    North Yorkshire
    YO17 6TQ

Tel: 01653 693971

contact details are above aswell, give em a bell, if they dont make the ration packs then they might give you a heads up who might

7. So much for nostalgia !!

I found some oatmeal blocks in a surplus store. They were even in date ! BUT they were brown and not the white colour I remember.

Like so many TV programmes from my youth that I have tried to watch now (like the Professionjals), these blocks did not meet up to my expectations.

Am I remembering wrongly or were the old blocks white and tasted delicious ?

D_B

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Westlers, says it all really, pigs lips sauasages! HHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

9. We ussed to crush 'em up in a mess tin, add hot water and make into a porridge, topped off with a spoonful of Coffee Mate stirred in!

Only drawback was it bunged you up good and proper!

10. If you're remembering oatmeal blocks from a long time ago, then you'll be disappointed with the current issue. IIRC, the blocks from the 70's were bigger and had a higher sugar content, making a satisfying porridge when mixed with condensed milk and hot water (if you could resist the temptation to just wolf it down). Now, it's just a tasty biscuit, porridge being made from a separate packet of rolled oats.

Making porridge is less messy these days, though, as you can mix it in the packet, avoiding the heartache of trying to remove it from your mess tin or mug.

11. Puttees,
    thanks for confirming that my memory hadn't failed completely. Although if we ever get a constitution in this country, we need to make sure it covers interfering with oatmeal blocks or governments may topple !

Mr D,
    Thanks for the recipe. I will see if I can get Porton Down to knock me some up :D

D_B

12. But not the delightful Cheese in a Tin :lol: Although I was told that Asda may have Cheese Possessed or something that approximates to it. I'll check the next time I'm in there in pikey mode

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheese possesed able to remove permacolour from maps with that!

14. What an excellent suggestion: I've just beasted my Grand-children out to their sandpit to dig shell scrapes. Gave them a cardboard box with their lunch in it as well; packet of crisps (crushed), Apple drink with more e numbers than a leopard's got spots and a processed cheese sandwich that has been sat on by the Dog. The worst part about is that they loved every minute of it :lol: