Oatmeal and pork

ugly

LE
This year I was the lucky recipient of a Lithuania MRE containing a delicious oatmeal and pork dish. I dded orps finest fried rice and it was luscious. The original meal seems to be popular amongst the MRE samplers online but I cant find a regional recipe that even looks similar. My googlefu has been burnt to the nub and I am at the point of attempting to replicate or at least make something similar using porridge oats and bacon grill.
Any ideas? I'm not the worlds best chef so apart from making porridge with water, shredding dome pork or bacon grill and cooking it off in a hot pan with oil and seasoning I have little clue on where to start.

Was it porridge and pork ? Iirc, it's literally good pork loin fried in butter until browned and added to porridge.

ugly

LE
Was it porridge and pork ? Iirc, it's literally good pork loin fried in butter until browned and added to porridge.
I didn't keep the bag sadly

Decent pork rub, handful of porridge oats, cup of lard to make a paste. Coat your leg of pork with the stuff, let it rest in fridge overnight then into the oven at around 120-140 deg C for six hours or so in a covered roasting pan with whole peeled carrots, onions and parsnips and a mug of oxtail or veg stock.

Give it 10-20 minutes uncovered at the end of the cooking time at around 220C to crisp up the bits and you should have a decent roast with a thickish gravy from the oats.

ETA: You'll need to remove the skin first but it can be roasted separately for crackling after you've turned up the heat or just salt, boil and prep for scratchings.

Last edited:

clayp1g

War Hero
Are you sure it was oatmeal and not groats?

Maybe not groats either doh

clayp1g

War Hero

ugly

LE
9 or maybe 7, wait it was strawberry jam so 7, now I need a stewed pork and buckwheat porridge recipe fat b'stard proportions obviously.

Serves two
Set a saucepan on a medium heat and add 100g porridge oats and 500ml milk. Cook, adding more milk if you like, until the oats have softened and the porridge is creamy – this will take between five and 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the pork: if you have leftover pork, simply chop into pieces and reheat in a little butter; if not, slice 150g pork loin into 3mm-thick strips and saute in butter until browned and cooked through. Divide the porridge between two bowls, add a knob of butter to each, top with the pork and sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt

Cut n paste from a grauniad article, so copyrighted.

Latest Threads