Oath of Allegience to HM the Queen

Disco

LE
AFP 05 all service goes towards the pension. Reckonable service (AFP 75) is from your 18th birthday (or the day you signed on if you were over 18).

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Auld-Yin said:
Suedehead said:
There are at least 2 versions of the oath , you can choose which one to do.
Are those the QEII version for England and QE for Scotland? 8)
Her title is still Queen Elizabeth the Second in Scotland as well as Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc even thought there was no QE1 of those countries.

Because there was some controversy over this (a post box with the Q II E cypher was blown up) post boxes in Scotland didn't have the II on them. (I think there was a case in the Scottish courts but I can't find a reference to it) The Queen has also ruled that future monarchs will take the highest of their numbers. So any future King James with be James VIII.

I'll get my coat.

fivetodo

War Hero
Markintime said:
Auld-Yin said:
Filbert Fox said:
On a side note, the day that you Swear your Oath is the date of your official enlistment, not the day you turn up for day one of basic training. It is this date that is taken into account for Resettlement and Pension purposes and on your ultimate end date.
Filbert

that may be so but you were then sent on Leave Without Pay (LWOP) which did not count towards time or pension (just like being in the nick!) so your time started when you first reported or became 18, whichever is later.
I think you'll find that the rules were changed and that boy service now counts towards pension, I also thought the old reckonable service age was 17 1/2. Has anyone got the definitive answer please?
As already mentioned, AFPS 05 takes into account phase 1 training, from, the day you turn up and attest.

The pre-attestation that takes place in the Office does not count towards your pension and the date on the contract is the first day of basic training, this is the only date that is used for AFPS 05 .

That is the definitive answer, anything that happens prior to day 1 of training has nothing to do with the Army or the pension because nothing has actually been signed at this point, if it had there was issues regarding being on unpaid leave etc ;)

Auldyin said:
that may be so but you were then sent on Leave Without Pay (LWOP) which did not count towards time or pension (just like being in the nick!) so your time started when you first reported or became 18, whichever is later.
My pension certificate has my date as 15 Aug 84 (which is the date I gazed upon Liz and said my bit in the recruiting office and recieved my £5), and the date I left, it doesnt mention anything about 4 Sept 84, which was the date I strolled through the gates. I did 23 years anyway so its all mine anyway!

fivetodo said:
That is the definitive answer, anything that happens prior to day 1 of training has nothing to do with the Army or the pension because nothing has actually been signed at this point, if it had there was issues regarding being on unpaid leave etc ;)
I of course bow to the new pension scheme, I was on the old (and better) one, however, the day you swear your oath (then go on unpaid leave etc until you turn up for training) is the date that your resettlement entitlement is taken from.

JokerR

Old-Salt
Haha... i swore my allegiance in the name of the almighty sky pixie,
Was pretty painless... got given a cool regimental T-shirt and a water bottle too... cant really moan if your being given free shtuff :p

Filbert Fox said:
On a side note, the day that you Swear your Oath is the date of your official enlistment, not the day you turn up for day one of basic training. It is this date that is taken into account for Resettlement and Pension purposes and on your ultimate end date.
My Army attestation paper states that my Colour service is due to end on 12/04/2013 at the earliest. This is one day short of four years from the start of phase 1, not from the date of my attestation.

JokerR

Old-Salt
Mine says 04/04/2013 at the earliest... which is also a day before my training starts ... funnily enough

Just out of interest, did everyone get some freebies when they were attested into the Army or was it just a few regiments etc?

fivetodo

War Hero
Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
Filbert Fox said:
My Army attestation paper states that my Colour service is due to end on 12/04/2013 at the earliest. This is one day short of four years from the start of phase 1, not from the date of my attestation.
As i have mentioned already, you have a pre-attestation at the Recruiting office and you will be attested properly on day one of phase 1 training, the reason we work 4 years minus one day is just the way we do it :)

Filbert Fox said:
I had to swear the Oath after I started basic training.
My pension and resettlement time is however from my first day in Pirbright.

fivetodo said:
As i have mentioned already, you have a pre-attestation at the Recruiting office and you will be attested properly on day one of phase 1 training, the reason we work 4 years minus one day is just the way we do it :)
I did basic training (CMS) as those new fangled Phase 1, Phase 2 etc didnt exist, we swore the oath once, in the recruiting office and that was our enlistment date, my pension certificate states my dates are 15 Aug xx - 14 Nov xx, my certificate of service and my certificate of discharge both also have the same dates. I entered Keogh Bks on the 4 Sep xx, 20 days after I swore my oath.
Like I said, I bow to the 'new' way of doing things, but thats how it was done.

stacker1 said:
My pension and resettlement time is however from my first day in Pirbright.
Resettlement is now my job, its worked out from the day you swear your oath if you did it at the ACIO/AFCO or your first day if you didnt swear the oath prior.

Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
JokeR said he got given a cool regimental T-shirt and a water bottle too. I've got my attestation next week
Pah! That's nothing; I got a holiday, all expenses paid to a place called andanistan or something. Had to buy my own f*cking lilo mind. Bast*rds 8O

JokerR

Old-Salt
JonnoJonno said:
Ihavejamonmyjeans said:
JokeR said he got given a cool regimental T-shirt and a water bottle too. I've got my attestation next week
Pah! That's nothing; I got a holiday, all expenses paid to a place called andanistan or something. Had to buy my own f*cking lilo mind. Bast*rds 8O
Didnt you get a regimental lilo?
They must have changed the way they do things now, i didnt get a pump with it though... bast*rds wouldnt blow it up for me either!

Latest Threads