Oath of Allegience to HM the Queen

JokerR

Old-Salt
Can you just say " I swear allegiance to HM the Queen and all of her heirs" and then bugger off ?
If i have to try to construct more than one sentence i start blabbering like iv been hit swiftly over the head with a brick...

JokerR said:
Can you just say " I swear allegiance to HM the Queen and all of her heirs" and then bugger off ?
If i have to try to construct more than one sentence i start blabbering like iv been hit swiftly over the head with a brick...
erm....probably not?!!

JokerR

Old-Salt
Looks like i'll have to manage then :roll: good job i have all of you insightful people to think for me...

D

Deleted 16817

Alsacien said:
Mr_Fingerz said:
As an aside, you don't have to swear allegiance.

Let me clarify, before anyone jumps down my throat. If you are of no faith (i.e. an atheist) you can affirm your allegiance.
Makes sense.
"I swear by the Prophet Mohammed to be faithfull to the infidels" and "So help me Allah" might cause a flag to pop up on your vetting :wink:
Possibly, but I know of at least one person who swore allegiance replacing "god" with "allah".

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Suedehead said:
There are at least 2 versions of the oath , you can choose which one to do.
Are those the QEII version for England and QE for Scotland? 8)

mattrlc

Old-Salt
Im not sure that there is the line so help me god at the end of the allegience, I had to swear another one yesterday and It wasnt at the end of it. By the time you finish phase 1 you will have done it three times.

JokerR

Old-Salt
mattrlc said:
Im not sure that there is the line so help me god at the end of the allegience, I had to swear another one yesterday and It wasnt at the end of it. By the time you finish phase 1 you will have done it three times.
I was talking to a friend who just started phase 2 and he said the one you do before you start phase 1 is a load of crap because you just do it again when you get there :? doesn't make a lot of sense to me

JokerR said:
Is your last name Obama by any chance?

I (state your name), swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors and that I will as in duty bound honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, her heirs and successors in person, crown and dignity against all enemies and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and of the generals and officers set over me.[19] ”

Others replace the words "swear by Almighty God" with "solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm."

Civi_Git

War Hero
Ive mine on the 23rd as well, I done my barb in the wee room you do your oath in , they had it up on the wall when I was there.

On a side note, the day that you Swear your Oath is the date of your official enlistment, not the day you turn up for day one of basic training. It is this date that is taken into account for Resettlement and Pension purposes and on your ultimate end date.

JokerR

Old-Salt
Going for my oath tomorrow, got my shoes all shiny and my suit out ready for a good ironing in the morning, I'll let you know how it went when i get back :p

fivetodo

War Hero
Filbert Fox said:
On a side note, the day that you Swear your Oath is the date of your official enlistment, not the day you turn up for day one of basic training. It is this date that is taken into account for Resettlement and Pension purposes and on your ultimate end date.
That all changed a short while ago, the attestation that takes place at the recruiting office uses a contract that has the first day of phase 1 training as the day the contract starts ;)

It is now called the pre-attestation, and the only relevance i can see to it, is so we in the offices can ensure that they fully understand their contract prior to arriving at phase 1, it is also so we can check through the paperwork with them to give it a final check before it gets sent to phase 1, and i would like to think its also a chance for the families to come in and watch the enlistment too (at least it gives them a sense of occassion).

But in short, the terms of service start from day one of their training now, as does their pension.

I took my Oath of Allegiance on 01 January 1972. After I had taken the oath I was given the Bible I swore it on (this stayed with me until divorce when most of my treasured possessions somehow ended up on a fire - accidentally I'm sure). I was also paid one day's pay.
Since Jan 1st was a bank holiday I should really have been paid overtime. I pursued this error for many years but the pikey b4stards went and changed their names to avoid me so if anyone knows the present name and whereabouts of the Corps formerly known as the Royal Army Pay Corps please let me know, I want my overtime!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Filbert Fox said:
Filbert

that may be so but you were then sent on Leave Without Pay (LWOP) which did not count towards time or pension (just like being in the nick!) so your time started when you first reported or became 18, whichever is later.

Auld-Yin said:
Filbert Fox said:
Filbert

that may be so but you were then sent on Leave Without Pay (LWOP) which did not count towards time or pension (just like being in the nick!) so your time started when you first reported or became 18, whichever is later.
I think you'll find that the rules were changed and that boy service now counts towards pension, I also thought the old reckonable service age was 17 1/2. Has anyone got the definitive answer please?

Latest Threads