Oath of Allegience to HM the Queen

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by JokerR, Mar 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my Oath ceremony on the 23rd of this month and i was just wondering what exactly happens?
    Also i found this:
    Code:
    I ..... swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me. So help me God.
    Are these the correct words? and will i have to learn them before i go, or will they be on a board for me to read from?

Thanks

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Unless things have changed you read the Oath from a card.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Hopefully not - hate to think of it turning into a Karaoke......

4. Thanks for the quick response guys,
    Are those the correct words?

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

They were when I had to read them...

6. Great thanks :D

7. The Oath will be read out to you sentence by sentence and you will be expected to repeat each sentence as it is read to you.
    Nothing difficult, nothing to memorise, just become as familiar as possible with the words that many hundreds of thousands of your forbears and comrades have sworn and have stood by.
    Good luck and enjoy your service.
    basso.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

As a completely random aside - if you are of another religious persuasion, can you ask somebody else to help you in the last line :?

9. Thanks, iv only got 24 days left untill im off to Bassingbourn,
    Gotta start packing in a week or 2,
    Then hopefully its goodbye to civvy street for the rest of my youth :roll:

10. What, as in "So help me Jeremy Crowther"
    What do you think? :roll:

11. Jeremy who?

12. Crowther, you highlighted it yourself.
    Do keep up.

13. when i went to watch my mate say his it was read from a card which the major then signed after you said it, before anyone done it the major explained to prenouce the word heirs "airs" people still manged to swear by her Majesty Queen an all her hairs lol

14. ive got mine 28th of next month ;)

15. Aleister Crowley's english cousin!!