• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

oath of allegiance

The_IRON said:
exile1 said:
when did this bit of paper come in? [serious question]
I can remember swearing the oath, signing for and being handed a days pay and that was it.
You dont get a days pay anymore, I did in 1987 when I joined up but all you get now is the Qath of Allegiance certificate, Train Warrant for the ATR and if you get a nice Recruiter like I was BFH(as per the programme Bullseye Bus Fare Home)
Old T*at!

heidtheba said:
The_IRON said:
exile1 said:
I can remember swearing the oath, signing for and being handed a days pay and that was it.
You dont get a days pay anymore, I did in 1987 when I joined up but all you get now is the Qath of Allegiance certificate, Train Warrant for the ATR and if you get a nice Recruiter like I was BFH(as per the programme Bullseye Bus Fare Home)
Old T*at!
I thought yours was done in slate HTB :wink: when you talk about dinosaurs your on about your dinner.

FrankIG said:
Still have the bible I used to take my Oath. No certificates in the 60s, but is great to have the wee book.
Still got my little black bible with insert on front page saying where and when attestation took place. Joined in '74.

The_IRON said:
heidtheba said:
The_IRON said:
exile1 said:
Old T*at!
I thought yours was done in slate HTB :wink: when you talk about dinosaurs your on about your dinner.
And nice it was too.

Although, I thought it was chicken tikka masalla :?

rebel_with_a_cause said:
joined in '74.
Sprog.

I joined in '73 :D

A days pay was £3.27.

I've still got mine on a battered bit of paper in one of my log books, I spent the 'Kings Shilling' (5p) and a days pay was 3shillings.(15p)

I still have my certificate framed (not on the wall again yet!) but tucked behind it the crisp tenner they gave me on the day!

I can't beat that. Its Game, Set and Match to you BB.

redacer said:
I still have my certificate framed (not on the wall again yet!) but tucked behind it the crisp tenner they gave me on the day!
Kak I only got a fiver, no certificate and they took the fiver back out of my first pay packet (6 quid a day at the time)

rebel_with_a_cause said:
I can't beat that. Its Game, Set and Match to you BB.
Im Spartacus, I beat you all.

Ok i lied you win BB, just want to confirm your location says Watling and not Walting though :wink:

I'd never heard of 'Walting' until I joined ARRSE! Yes, definitely the old 'Watling Strasse' the old 'A5', within spitting distance of the M69/A5 junction! High Cross and the Fosse Way!
One of my ancestors was a 'Scythe Fitter' on Boudicea's chariots.

BarceBandit said:
I got mine in 1945!!!!!! your move!
Wonder if that makes you the oldest and the bloke with the lowest number, good on yer BB.

When you've been an RAC gunfitter Computers are a piece of p***!

Tell a lie, it was a grandson and I still get in 'Crappe Strasse!'