• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

oath of allegiance

Is this a Wah?

They do it for the same reason it has always been done - because it is psychologically and socially meaningfull and reinforces loyalty and a sense of duty.

Pay_Mistri

Fallschirmjager said:
It's an umbrella, that's all.
No, it's a piece of card with print on it :wink:

Predator_07 said:
so u dont have an option too not do it
Don't join then.

Predator_07 said:
so u dont have an option too not do it
Yes you have an option. Its called not joining the British army, Try the legion of frontiersmen they might take you.

Mine, and my sons, still hang, framed in our living room, and I still stand by my promise, which I first gave in 1958.

"Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense"

There are two different OATHs you can do. One if your Religious and the other for none believers with different wording. On your AFCO4 it used to have a box to say if you were a nonbelievable and then I used to confirm my applicants on the Documentation check before Attestation. It was quite funny hearng some of the applicants trying to practice especially getting toungue tied over Heirs and Successors.

when did this bit of paper come in? [serious question]
I can remember swearing the oath, signing for and being handed a days pay and that was it.

exile1 said:
when did this bit of paper come in? [serious question]
I can remember swearing the oath, signing for and being handed a days pay and that was it.
You dont get a days pay anymore, I did in 1987 when I joined up but all you get now is the Qath of Allegiance certificate, Train Warrant for the ATR and if you get a nice Recruiter like I was BFH(as per the programme Bullseye Bus Fare Home)

Still have the bible I used to take my Oath. No certificates in the 60s, but is great to have the wee book.

FrankIG said:
Still have the bible I used to take my Oath. No certificates in the 60s, but is great to have the wee book.
You dont get one of those either now, we had about half a dozen to use on attestations only.