Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oath of Allegiance

I attested to get in, didn't bother me one way or another.

Did I serve Queen and Country? Most of it was nothing to do with this country.

If you are happy swearing an allegiance to another family, and think that they are better than your family, then good on you.

The only country that has an anthem about a monarch and not the country? I just find it a bit old hat in this day and age.

Viva La Republic!

We did in 1978 - I was attested in a Careers Office a couple of weeks before going to Sandhurst. I spent the fiver they gave me in the pub opposite with a mate I met there and a fiver bought a lot more beer then, than now :)

It was 1/- when I attested, bought a bottle of rum and one of Mrs Miggans meat pies with it and still had change for fish and chips later.

Slight drift but I recall signing the official secrets act at some stage early on.
I assume we are bound by that for good?
Yes. The OSA applies whether one has signed it or not. The signing business is more of a reminder. Having said that, what is "official" information is not necessarily "secret".

Let's see...

I took an oath when I joined the Army,
Then I got the Commission scroll,
I took an oath when I became a cop,
I took a further oath when I became a federal public servant,
When I worked for the Province on three one-year contracts, I had to take an oath each year.

I think I'm pretty much obligated to obey everybody now.
Eh.... That tenner ??

CFB

Did my oath of allegiance over 20 years ago, don’t really think about it too much now as I’m long out of the mob.
I’m probably no loss to Her Majesty, infact the country is probably safer with me no longer serving!

I'll stick with Her Majesty, no probs. It's what comes after . . . . . . . . though I fear I won't be here to see it.

William must stop travelling with his children, if a crash...

...shudder

King Harry of Woke

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I attested to get in, didn't bother me one way or another.

Did I serve Queen and Country? Most of it was nothing to do with this country.

If you are happy swearing an allegiance to another family, and think that they are better than your family, then good on you.

The only country that has an anthem about a monarch and not the country? I just find it a bit old hat in this day and age.

Viva La Republic!
It's only about whether your word counts for anything, so it shouldn't bother you.

We did in 1978 - I was attested in a Careers Office a couple of weeks before going to Sandhurst. I spent the fiver they gave me in the pub opposite with a mate I met there and a fiver bought a lot more beer then, than now :)

Continuing a fine long standing squaddie tradition, I should think. I'd wager a shiny sixpence that more than the average number of the king's shillings handed to new soldiers ended up in the hands of the nearest purveyor of ale and rum.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I vaguely remember signing something to acknowledge the OSA but don't remember an Oath but then again we were in the mess till 3 in the morning the night before so most of that morning is a little hazy.

Oaths ? if that slippery little twa# of an SNP mp is to be believed ( sic).
crossing your fingers like an infantile oaf , whilst swearing an oath to her maj,
nullifys it but still allows you to get your nose in the trough.
So in the modern age integrity seems very pick and mix.