Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oath of Allegiance

You know that oath we took when we joined, about bearing allegiance to Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and the Officers set over me etc. etc.?
And then the wording of the Commission, about Her Majesty having special trust and confidence, where

Are we absolved from all that when we finally leave the service ?

Can I be a republican, please ?

Sure, for all practical purposes there is nothing to stop me, but call me a silly old sausage if you like, I believe in keeping my word.

Chef

LE
Technically I should imagine that there's a protocol for cancelling an oath. In practice you'll just be known as Bodenplatte Oathbreaker.

Forever.

Technically I should imagine that there's a protocol for cancelling an oath. In practice you'll just be known as Bodenplatte Oathbreaker.

Forever.

Bodenplatte Oathbreaker . . . I like it.

1599233313206.png

I was about to suggest you needing a BFO sword, but a double header will do.

Chef

LE
Bodenplatte Oathbreaker . . . I like it.

View attachment 501924

You do realise that's a picture of your erstwhile mates saying:

'Let's see if Boden's up for a spot of rape and pillage this weekend'

'What Oathbreaker? Are you mad?'

'Oh yeah, I forgot'

And you'll be drummed out of the cribbage team.

It's not worth it my friend stick with her Maj and she'll see you all right.

You do realise that's a picture of your erstwhile mates saying:

'Let's see if Boden's up for a spot of rape and pillage this weekend'

'What Oathbreaker? Are you mad?'

'Oh yeah, I forgot'

And you'll be drummed out of the cribbage team.

It's not worth it my friend stick with her Maj and she'll see you all right.

I'll stick with Her Majesty, no probs. It's what comes after . . . . . . . . though I fear I won't be here to see it.

Chef

LE
I'll stick with Her Majesty, no probs. It's what comes after . . . . . . . . though I fear I won't be here to see it.

I wouldn't worry about that. If you forswear with your fingers crossed then it doesn't count and Brenda will understand.

'I felt a sudden disturbance in the force, as though someone had forsworn me. Nope they had their fingers crossed, that's fine'.

ericferret

War Hero
I so swore in 1972 and have been out for what seems an eternity.
I still feel bound by that oath although little else seems to count or matter these days.
Maybe it's a generational thing.

Last edited:

exspy

LE
Let's see...

I took an oath when I joined the Army,
Then I got the Commission scroll,
I took an oath when I became a cop,
I took a further oath when I became a federal public servant,
When I worked for the Province on three one-year contracts, I had to take an oath each year.

I think I'm pretty much obligated to obey everybody now.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
You know that oath we took when we joined, about bearing allegiance to Her Majesty, her heirs and successors and the Officers set over me etc. etc.?
And then the wording of the Commission, about Her Majesty having special trust and confidence, where

Sure, for all practical purposes there is nothing to stop me, but call me a silly old sausage if you like, I believe in keeping my word.
Are you going to send your GSM back too?

Oyibo

LE
Gen question - For direct entry commissions did you take an oath of allegiance (soldier type) before going to Sandhurst?

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Let's see...

When I worked for the Province on three one-year contracts, I had to take an oath each year.

SWMBO?

Let's see...

Good.
PM me for bank details and mail me your boots

The bit about bearing true allegiance to Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors logically continues in force after leaving the service, unless and until one renounces British citizenship. That bit is not exclusively military, as there is similar wording in the oath or affirmation taken on becoming a British citizen. Having left the service and not having been recalled, however, there are no "generals and officers" set over you, so that bit logically falls. The oath's importance is more symbolic than legal. That will be fifty guineas.

Last edited:

Donny

ADC
Gen question - For direct entry commissions did you take an oath of allegiance (soldier type) before going to Sandhurst?
We did in 1978 - I was attested in a Careers Office a couple of weeks before going to Sandhurst. I spent the fiver they gave me in the pub opposite with a mate I met there and a fiver bought a lot more beer then, than now :)

Oyibo

LE
We did in 1978 - I was attested in a Careers Office a couple of weeks before going to Sandhurst. I spent the fiver they gave me in the pub opposite with a mate I met there and a fiver bought a lot more beer then, than now :)

I think it was £15 when I attested 10 years later. I invested my hard earned cash in the nearest pub

Latest Threads